Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

new ural or new hack?

PreviousPage 3 of 3

redsimp - 7/19/2016 12:15 PM

What do I want to do with it? Right now?
#1 Learn to ride a sidecar rig (opps - DRIVE)
#2 See if I like having a sidecar for traveling.
#3 Be able to take the dog with me when the wife has to work & carry more & larger crap when I go to Home Depot.
#4 Gain experience & knowledge before buying a new sidecar
#5 Be able to continue DRIVING a rig on into my decrepit years.
#6 No real dirt/backwoods/ wilderness riding - I got a 4X4 truck for that.

Any sidecar will be good for you on any bike. Wing has wider heavier sidecar will be little better for right turns.
Velorex lighter and like to fly.

Solid advice, all. Big Tom - the Wing has the EZ steer and " electric trim" and integrated brake. And I know it still has life left - mileage not a big concern on that bike. Sounds like you got a good deal. I was thinking $5800 would be hard to walk away from, but I've only seen pics.
Al - installation is a factor I hadn't really considered, but makes sense. Delivery & shipping, too add to the total for the car. But there also doesn't seem to be HUGE demand - some of these rigs sit for months, so you think they might be a bit lower. And fiberglass does age & become more brittle over time, electric connections get corroded ~ I would think age of the car would be a consideration, if not a major factor.
Vlad - I know all about dickering and being able to walk away. I'm not sure "lighter and like to fly" are advantages to me at this point!
Thanks - didn't mean to hijack the thread (apologies to "slapping rabbits") but truly appreciate the honest input. It's a big step and I don't know anyone local who has a sidecar.

Actually, a big (as in wide) car is easier for the beginner as it's less likely to tip on right turns. You will have a bit more push and pull on acceleration and deceleration but with the EZSteer and adjustable lean, you shouldn't have much trouble at all.

redsimp - 7/19/2016 2:15 PM

VLAD - 7/19/2016 1:28 PM
Ask yourself what are you planing to do with your sidecar rig?
Suzuki not a lot different in size & weight from Goldwing without bags. Wing is lot more comfortable on the road but will be no good on the dirt.

What do I want to do with it? Right now?
#1 Learn to ride a sidecar rig (opps - DRIVE)
#2 See if I like having a sidecar for traveling.
#3 Be able to take the dog with me when the wife has to work & carry more & larger crap when I go to Home Depot.
#4 Gain experience & knowledge before buying a new sidecar
#5 Be able to continue DRIVING a rig on into my decrepit years.
#6 No real dirt/backwoods/ wilderness riding - I got a 4X4 truck for that.

I want a trainer, an older bike to learn on for now. Just like I started on Harley Hummer back when I had all my hair and moved up the power/wt. curve.
I want a bike I can resell and not take a big loss on. Assuming I survive #1-5 above.

On that last note - how do they value these rigs? I look at the Kelley BB price on a '94 Wing and it's $2390 - $4180. A 2000 Astro 2+2 is $1100 - $1700. Add them up and you get a low of $3500 and a high retail of $5880. Other similar rigs are asking WAY above that. Am I missing something?

Did you upgrade the truck parts and mod your 4x4?

jaydmc - 7/19/2016 11:22 AM

One up side is that some states (Washington where I live) use their values to figure sales tax. This can also suck, not long ago I purchased a KLR for $1700 less then Kelly blue book said it should sell for. I had cash, the seller was motivated Washington state still charged me $1700 more value for sales tax then what I truly paid for it.
Jay G

Jay, similar situation has happened to me in the past. Gets my goat that the state charges more than what's honestly owed and the bureaucrat behind the counter seems to think one is lying about the price. Even with proper documentation.

I had a 2012 Ural Retro for five mostly trouble free years and sold it this summer for a Triumph that I added a Watsonian sidecar to.
I was one of the lucky ones, many Ural are trouble prone and most dealers carry them as a sideline so service is a crapshoot. The Ural forum is full of threads from new owners of brand new bikes with consistent issues.
My Triumph rig built was about the same price as a new Ural but is, in my opinion, far superior.

Keep an eye on the “Flebay” thread in the hacks section of ADVrider for a line on a reasonably priced used rig.
Even a used Ural that’s broken in might be better than a new one. After riding another brand rig I honestly don’t think I could return to a Ural. Modern engineering and quality control contribute greatly to customer satisfaction.

4 Paws - 10/21/2017 1:25 PM

I had a 2012 Ural Retro for five mostly trouble free years and sold it this summer for a Triumph that I added a Watsonian sidecar to.
I was one of the lucky ones, many Ural are trouble prone and most dealers carry them as a sideline so service is a crapshoot. The Ural forum is full of threads from new owners of brand new bikes with consistent issues.
My Triumph rig built was about the same price as a new Ural but is, in my opinion, far superior.

Keep an eye on the “Flebay” thread in the hacks section of ADVrider for a line on a reasonably priced used rig.
Even a used Ural that’s broken in might be better than a new one. After riding another brand rig I honestly don’t think I could return to a Ural. Modern engineering and quality control contribute greatly to customer satisfaction.

How many miles or kilometers did you have on 2012 Ural Retro?

PreviousPage 3 of 3