Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

new ural or new hack?

Page 1 of 3Next

Hi Everyone,

I'm finally at the point where i can upgrade from my 87 shadow vlx 600 to something else and I'm excited! I really want something with a sidecar, but I could use some input and experienced opinions on my options.

I'm considering a newer fuel injected ural. I'd love the off-road option for camping, weekend nature photography, riding through the snow, etc that I don't have now. I probably won't like the 70mph top speed, but that's what I commute to work daily at anyways so it wouldn't be anything new. There is parallel highway that is 55 and only adds about 5 minutes of commute time and the sideroads are much more scenic and only had maybe 10 so I have slower options that I often use because of how bad traffic is here in northern Maryland.

I've heard and see the list of upgrades to these things over the past couple years from previous versions. They seem more reliable with these upgrades and yet people are still reporting problems that they fix (usually pretty easily by themselves which is awesome) that I rarely hear about with other bikes. I'm having a hard time finding reviews on the newer rigs that talk about potential long term reliability. I don't mind learning how to fix a bike and do all the recommended maintenance, but I don't want to be constantly fixing it, especially when out with the wife and dog and future children wondering if we are going to be able to get back home or not.

Well why not get a more reliable bike and just have someone put a sidecar on it? The cost and the time mostly. I'm looking at a newer bike like the rocket III or something with a lot of torque that could easily handle a sidecar. If I get something like that then I'd have to save up the additional 6-8 thousand before i could get someone to put a sidecar on it. It might be worth the couple years it will take to get to that point, but that's more time not being able to ride. I should also note that me and my wife plan on having kids within the year so I'm concerned that future years will have my money prioritized with other things. So its a gamble.

I've never been on a sidecar and there's a ural dealership about 2 hours away in Maryland and about 2.5 hours away in New Jersey. I'm sure they'd let me try one out when I get there, but I don't know anyone that has a sidecar at all either in town or on base. That was the other reason I wanted to know about fixing one myself is that no one is close by. The dealers that are nearby already told me they won't touch or any bike with a sidecar except for the one triumph place in Annapolis and they will only work on triumphs with sidecars. Annapolis is 1.5 hours away. The local dealership won't work on my honda either even though they sell honda's because its too old. They have a terrible reputation so I really don't want to deal with them anyways. There are sidecar courses, but they seem to be in Virginia so its even further than the dealers and getting through traffic in Baltimore and DC is going to make that a very long drive. I'm not complaining, but I think I'm just spoiled from living most of my life in the country in Idaho and Oregon and never having to deal with traffic.

Really what I want to know is if its going to be reliable enough and if its worth it? If so do you recommend one of the 2wd's like the gear up or patrol or should i just stick with a ct? Do you recommend a used already set up rig? I've seen some of them in the for sale forum, but the prices seem high and one reason I was looking at a newer bike is so I can finance.

Except for commuting, I suspect the dog will be riding with me all the time and the wife quite often. I plan on doing everything on this bike from buying groceries, to carrying golf clubs to well, everything. I really think it'll be great to grab the dog on my every other friday off and my camera and paddleboard and hit the trails or dirt roads and get pictures and hit the water after. What accessories do your recommend for a sidecar rig? Also, if I'm missing something or another good option please let me know.

Thanks!

If you are going to buy a URAL, a Tourist (single wheel drive) model will better fit your commuting needs. They will cruise at a higher speed than the two wheel drive models, give better fuel mileage and there is less machinery to go haywire. The original cost is somewhat less also.
The single wheel drive models can go almost everywhere the two wheel drive ones go.
The upgraded new URALS are much more dependable than they were 20 years ago.

Lonnie
NWSC

If you haven't already done so, you should read some of the Ural threads on the advrider forum. There are a lot of opinions and experiences written there both pro and con for Ural ownership. I have only ridden a couple of them very briefly so I don't have any real experience with them.

MCN did an in depth review of a Ural not too long ago. If I remember correctly they recommended against a 2WD unless you were going to spend 99% of your time off road. Also realize that 70 MPH is the top speed and that you will be Maxed out most of the time. I test sat a Ural at a recent open house. I stand 6'1" and I was only comfortable while sitting on the Back seat.

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

Here's an option..... Don't let the miles scare you.

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/mcy/5667956729.html

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

Thank you all for your input. I came across the MCN review and its pretty damning:

http://www.motorcycleconsumernews-digitalmagazine.com/mcnews/august_2014d?pm=2&fs=1&pg=20#pg20

It makes me wonder if they just had a lemon or if the set-up was bad or if that is just how many of these Urals are? Either way, it does not paint a pretty picture and is making me seriously consider putting a sidecar on a more modern bike.

One of the reasons many people buy a Ural is that they can finance it and they figure that they can not finance a motorcycle sidecar combination. This is not true if you work with the dealer of the motorcycle and they purchase the sidecar from the manufacture the sidecars can be included in the financing.
If you want some thing other then the Ural, there are many very nice bikes around that can be set up for about the same money as a Ural. On popular bike and sidecar combination is the Triumph Bonneville with our M72B, when done you are at similar money to a Ural but with a modern bike where down the road should you wish to up grade you can pull the sidecar off of the bike and put the bike back totally stock and move the sidecar to your next bike. This is not really the case with the Ural as a Ural motorcycle with out its sidecar has a very small market making the bike with out the sidecar really worth next to nothing. I point out the Bonneville as it makes a nice combination but there are many other bikes out there you could do this with, The Indian Scout with our Tomahawk would also be about the same money as would many other bikes and sidecars. We have also done the Rocket 3 with our Kenna sidecar but for what you are looking to do 2300cc might be a bit of an over kill.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Big Tom - 7/10/2016 1:07 PM

WHOA! Just under a 100k miles...on a motorcycle!!! That's impressive, but I don't think bikes have the kind of longevity cars do right?

jaydmc - 7/11/2016 10:28 AM

One of the reasons many people buy a Ural is that they can finance it and they figure that they can not finance a motorcycle sidecar combination. This is not true if you work with the dealer of the motorcycle and they purchase the sidecar from the manufacture the sidecars can be included in the financing.
If you want some thing other then the Ural, there are many very nice bikes around that can be set up for about the same money as a Ural. On popular bike and sidecar combination is the Triumph Bonneville with our M72B, when done you are at similar money to a Ural but with a modern bike where down the road should you wish to up grade you can pull the sidecar off of the bike and put the bike back totally stock and move the sidecar to your next bike. This is not really the case with the Ural as a Ural motorcycle with out its sidecar has a very small market making the bike with out the sidecar really worth next to nothing. I point out the Bonneville as it makes a nice combination but there are many other bikes out there you could do this with, The Indian Scout with our Tomahawk would also be about the same money as would many other bikes and sidecars. We have also done the Rocket 3 with our Kenna sidecar but for what you are looking to do 2300cc might be a bit of an over kill.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

I'm really glad you said that! I do need to finance it and I had no idea you could add in the sidecar. I went ahead and looked at the bonnies with sidecar rigs and those are pretty cool looking. That actually does seem like a really good fit. The scrambler setups look even better in my opinion and the knobby wheels might be a bit better for some of the light trails and gravel roads I want to ride on. The scrambler I sat on seemed to fit my inseam a little better than the bonnie as well. The rocket is a massive bike! I sat on it and it felt just right so maybe I'll test ride one of those as well. Its good to have options! BTW what would happen if you put one of the smaller sidecars on something like a rocket?

All of our sidecars will work fine with the rocket some would require ballast but all are strong enough for ballast
Jay G
DMC sidecars

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

2 days ago in Hotchkiss I had conversation with 2 people who like Ural.
One told me he took Ural from Texas to Florida and then to Alaska 10k miles. And then need to replace engine.
2nd replace 7 final drives and at least 2 engines in 30k miles.
Both of them like there Ural.
I say if you want to have conversation piece and spend time repairing it go ahead and buy it.
If your plan to ride - do not buy Ural.

slapping_rabbits - 7/11/2016 7:45 AM

Big Tom - 7/10/2016 1:07 PM

WHOA! Just under a 100k miles...on a motorcycle!!! That's impressive, but I don't think bikes have the kind of longevity cars do right?

I currently have 81K on a 1999 Valkyrie that I bought new.. The last time I looked the current Valkyrie record holder was zeroing in on 450K on the same motor. I'm sure that their are Gold Wings with as many or more miles on them.

Goldwings can see half a million miles with proper maintenance.

That is amazing! Now I'm wondering if other monster sized engine bikes like the concours and rocket and vtx1800, etc have that kind of longevity? This is seriously making me consider something like the valkeryie (its got a goldwing engine right?) for my next bike with a sidecar. I also heard one of the goldwings has an airbag. That is quiet the safety feature.

ncdave - 7/12/2016 9:08 AM

the twins don't get quite as much longevity as the 4s and 6s, but they are far better than they used to be.

Dave, have you ever heard of BMW's? The "old ones" have a horizontally opposed two cylinder engine and are known to run for hundreds of thousands of miles. I rode my own 1963 rig this morning out to get a haircut and I not only got there but I also made it home. Or are you just talking about Asian bikes? 🙂 🙂 🙂

Here is a Champion for sale on C/L in Arizona. He just dropped the price by $500.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mpo/5645646359.html

I just want to add my thoughts, I have owned 14 motorcycles, started out on BMWs, changed to Gold Wings when my local BMW dealer retired, and left me without a dealer within reasonable distance, tried a couple of other bikes that seemed to fit my needs at the time. My last four have been Gold Wings with sidecars, 3 1500s and a 1800. Now I have my first Ural rig. A Ural is not a good choice for everyone, it depends on riding style and desire. For instance, I lived in the Texas Hill Country for 15 years with 2 lane rural road speed limits of up to 75 MPH, and would have been run over. If I needed a reliable bike to ride to work every day, I wouldn't want to depend on a Ural. If I had a two week vacation and wanted to ride 500 mile days and see as much country as possible and had to be back to work at the end of the two weeks, Ural wouldn't be my choice. All that said, for my riding style now my 2013 Ural Patrol is perfect. I am 74 years old, retired and don't need to be anywhere in a hurry, live in Michigan with the 55 MPH speed limit and stay off the freeways, when I want to ride the Black Hills, or Blueridge Parkway, I trailer the rig and do day rides where I want to. As far as durability is concerned the guys on the Ural forum, say getting a used Ural that has been "well sorted" is the way to go. With mine the previous owner, had the engine rebuilt when the oil pump shaft broke, and the entire valve train components replaced when some part of it failed due to not being properly heat treated. They say that when the importer in Washington state, takes care of the problems covered by warrantee, the engine will be better than new, better bearings, better components, and better balance. Ural does need more maintenance than most modern bikes, carbs need to be balanced, valves adjusted, fluids in engine, trans, and final drive need to be changed, ujoints, and splines need to be greased. Wheels have spokes and need to be trued once in a while. On my 13 the front brake is a disk, rear bike and sidecar brakes are mechanical drum brakes and need adjustment. Up to 2014 when they went to fuel injection, and disk brakes all the way around, you won't find any computers, and all of the repair and maintenance was basic stuff, and fun to do, if you are into getting your hands dirty. To sum it up, for me, my Ural is the most "fun" bike I have ever had, it always draws questions and a crowd, most think that it is some antique bike. It helps that I have a great dealer close to me and that is a important part of your decision, unless you are capable of doing your own work on it. Parts always seem to be available, advice and help, and repair videos are on the Soviet Steeds forum, by the way it is a great forum for information you need to make your decision, lots of pro and con info. Good luck.

Some riders hate a particular brand of rig and never have a good word to say about them. Have heard negative words about ---------- (insert any brand you can think of here).

Then there are riders who love the brand that another hates. Life is too short to be bad mouthing a particular brand that others love. Just ride what you like, enjoy your experience and let others enjoy theirs.

At the national rally in Colorado there were rigs of all types, brands and configurations. But not one rig there could do everything great. Some excelled at interstate cruising, others for off-road exploring, still others for taking man's best friend for a ride in the country. Most important to me was, every rider there loved their rig and what it could do. Their rig did what they asked it to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

The USCA's strength is our helping and supporting each other, no matter what brand they ride.

I am a sidecar owner - have had both a Ural and "other". In 2011 we bought a 2006 Tourist that only had 4210 km on the odometer. From 2011 to 2016 we ran the odometer up to 15K km - other than regular maintenance the only things that needed fixing were a flat pusher tire, and an intermittent ignition wire under the gas tank. My wife and I rode it in parades, on PGR missions, and other fun stuff. Being an older model the top speed was listed as 65 mph - although I did have it up to 73 mph (per the GPS) once. It would happily run at 55 mph all day long, but at 60 or more it was pretty much maxed out and it was a handful to drive. But it was a fun ride - pull in to a parking lot filled with millions of dollars worth of Harleys and EVERYBODY wants to see the lowly Ural - it's a crowd gatherer! The only reason we don't still have it is the speed limitation - we wanted to be able to keep up with our riding friends and be more comfortable on the freeway so we sold the Ural and bought an older Goldwing - a 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar, with 65K miles on the odometer. Now we can cruise down the interstate at a comfortable 70 mph with enough engine left for evasive action if needed - but with the sidecar we still draw a crowd in parking lots!

So on my way back from a work meeting in DC, I stopped by a bmw place. They put hannigan sidecars on their bmws and they finance them. Of course, these bmws are rather expensive. The 1200 gs feels like the right size and the upright position with the ability to stand does feel good. I tried the r nine t and that felt a bit small. It is nice that they are only an hour away from where I live. Any thoughts on the hannigan sidecars? The dual sport one looks okay, but not like one of the ural or dmc ones that look more rugged. I'm also very concerned with a bike that costs more than my car.

Page 1 of 3Next