Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

new top for astro sport

After instructions from the boss monkey I set out to make more room in the cockpit of my astro sport. Some lexan and what started as a hood scoop for a S-10 Chevy and a little time and it is done. The boss said the room is much improved and after a shakedown cruise has given it a thumbs up. Made the side curtains out of convertable top window material. Water tight so far! Never can tell what you can do until threatened. 🙂

Is there a picture here that I can't see? All I see is the word 'Picture' but no glossy to match.

For some reason I am having trouble getting picture to load. Here we go again!

Attached files

Hey man, it worked fine now. After the very interesting description and being a guy that's well known for using the odd bits and pieces the curiousity was killin me.

Very, very, clever there and some most excellent results. Too cool, looks really good!! I admire your expertise in using what is at hand to create... One sharp looking rig and I love the color too!

You did a nice job on that top! Are you east or west of the Blue Ridge in VA?

I live in Martinsville, in the foothills, 13 miles from the NC line.

WOW! That, is, slick!.. If i were a passenger, I would definitely want a top like that. Very nice solution. Thanks for sharing. 🙂
g

Here is a pic showing difference in room. The bubble locked passenger in one position, she could not lean forward, and she is 5'2".

Try pic again

Attached files

I think that the cockpit space is an issue with that design. Personally I am surprised that you are not receiving queries asking if you would make more. 🙂

g

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but............. I did the the design and cutting but a local fiberglass shop did the glass work. The lexan was easy to cut and was sourced from the local hardware store. Made several cardboard patterns for the windshield.

Bill:
SAVE those patterns and design... 🙂
Any chance you will be attending the National Rally in Arkansas this year? I am sure your rig will get lots of attention, and I will personally be scoping out that custom top. 🙂
g

Unfortunately I have a scheduling conflict with that rally, but will be at quite a few BMW & ABC rallys on the right coast this summer.

Very Nice!!