New to the sidecar ...

Notifications
Clear all

New to the sidecar world

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Well, I recently became interested in adding a sidecar to my '99 Harley Fatboy and in my search for information, I of course came across this group.

So, having never really been in the sidecar community, a couple of quick questions to start:

Looking to add a sidecar so that my girlfriend's two little daughters can go riding with us (ages 4 and 7). At the moment, looking to buy used and have my eye on a used Sputnik in good shape. Says it comes with all the mounting brackets, so here's my first question - will I need specific brackets to mount this to a softail or will a universal type setup work?

Also, any feedback on the Sputnik as a choice for a first sidecar (I'm trying to keep costs down at this point just in case the girls don't really enjoy the sidecar)? Any comments on quality of the Sputnik, fitment issues, anything else I might need to know?

Again, I'm a complete greenhorn at this, so any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Posted : October 8, 2007 7:21 am
(@Anonymous)

There will be someone along that can reply to your questions. I would just like to say welcome to the sidecar world and point you to some good reading the link is below.

http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp

Posted : October 8, 2007 7:48 am
(@Hack__n)

The Sputnik's mounts are like the /2 Beemer mounts unless it came off a different bike that had universal mounts. If not, figure $400.00 to $550.00 for mounts for your Harley, plus a steering damper unit.
The Sputnik is somewhat primitive as far as fit, finish, windshield, hinges, latches, upholstery and paint are concerned but they are pretty much good for strong.

Lonnie

Posted : October 8, 2007 8:06 pm
(@Anonymous)

Well, guess the Sputnik looked larger in the picture. LOL Turns out it doesn't have the hip room we need. So the search will continue.

Thanks for the welcome!

Posted : October 9, 2007 5:12 am
(@timo482)

getting the alignment right [toe in and lean] will take a bit of work on your part. the learning will take more than just a few mins. - however ajustments are cheap.

items of note:
1 the wt IN the sidecar must be higher than any rear seat passenger on the bike - so.. the two kids together must be heavyer than the girlfreind on the back of the bike
2 if you only have ONE passenger they must ride IN the sidecar - running a empty sidecar with a rear seat passenger wont go.
3 you may find the steering effort a bit high unless you install a raked tree - that said the old factory adjustable trees will fit a softail so you can ajust it simply to ride the bike solo. [ie change the entire front end for a pre 84 front end....

to

Posted : October 9, 2007 5:15 am