Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

new to the sidecar idea.....

Page 1 of 2Next

Hello everyone, I'm a new forum member from Billerica MA (just north of Boston)

lately I've had the sidecar bug. I've been riding on two wheels for many years, also work as an MSF Ridercoach. I know the sidecar changes the dynamics of riding quite a bit, and I'd like to try it!

I have looked at Urals, and am going to look at a triumph bonneville this weekend that has a velorex sidecar on it. I know Urals are made for sidecars, Is the Triumph a good match for the velorex? It sure looks sweet with the car on it ..... does anyone here own a similar vehicle. I look forward to any input you have

thanks
Stan

"...changes the dynamics of riding quite a bit.". Boy, you've got that right!
First of all, to initiate a left turn on a solo bike you would actually turn the bars to the right to upset the balance to put the bike into a left lean, then slight left application of the bars control the left turn.
With a sidecar, there is no lean involved, so it needs to be turned initially in the direction you want to go. This is contrary to what we learn over the years as a solo rider, and some guys just can't overcome the instinct. I have allowed two of my buddies to try my sidecar rigs over the years, but NEVER AGAIN! Both times there was serious damage done when they ran over the curbs and into bushes!
On my first rig (a 1971 Yamaha 650/Motorvation Spyder) I made up an outrigger, castered wheel that rode just 2" off the ground on the left side. This kept me from going over on my side in right-handers that I was going too fast for. Of course, this was all done in large parking lots for practice to get the feel for the rig's handling.
It doesn't take long to get a good feel for the rig, but do it in a large parking lot so you don't end up meeting a car hen you swing too wide in order to not flip over in a right turn.
BTW, that Triumph/Velorex would be a great first rig to learn on, but just be careful and don't scratch either one! JK!

I've set up several Triumph/Velorex 562C and 563T rigs. Nothing but good feedback from the owners.
The post 2004 models have upgraded suspension and early models (15 mm axle/no adjustable shock) need the suspension upgraded to handle the bike weight.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

thanks for the reply. the one I'm looking at is a 2009 bonneville. sweet looking setup!

George Cordora in N.M. rides a Triumph scrambler with a Velorex. He and lovely bride travel all over the country on it. Seems to be a very good match.
J.R.
Sec.
Tex.Rep.

Here's a 2009 Bonny/563 Tour that we set up.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Attached files

That looks great!, actually almost exactly like the one I am considering. here's a picture of the 2009 I'm looking at. bike has 1600 miles on it, car was attached 300 miles ago, car is a 2014. They are asking $8995, but I may be able to get them down a bit

Attached files

Another option I have been considering is adding a chair to my 2009 Suzuki c50. How would I figure out which car would fit it best? Is there a way to search the forum for others who have added a chair to the c50? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to do my homework before I make the purchase... so far my options are a ural, triumph with velorex or modifying my existing bike....

If you do go with a sidecar for your C50 make sure that it comes with proper bike specific not a bunch of "universal" frame clamps like Velorex, Cosy and a few others use. It will work out much better in the long run for you. Make sure that the sidecar is heavy and strong enough for the bike. Make sure if you buy new that you buy from a reputable company (see my post about safer whole sale). Check with the BBB and make sure you pay with a charge card. There are a few companies out there that are not living up to the standards one would expect (see lead time post and again check with the BBB) It is good that you are doing your home work first rather then after the fact.
If you buy used feel free to contact me before you even look at the sidecar. Some sidecars by the time you make them safe or make any needed changes to them in order to mount them may not be such a great deal.
All of our sidecars come with proper bike specific mounts designed for the C50. We can also provide these mounts for other sidecars. Our least expensive is the Sputnik we imported $2995. The least expensive we build start at $3995 and go up from there.
Should you go with the Triumph we also make triple tree's to lower the steering effort on this bike.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

thanks, I'm leaning towards the Triumph, as it is all set up already. That said, the $8999 price tag makes me want to research my options. (not afraid to spend cash, just want to make certain not to waste it). If I did put a chair on my C50, which chair of yours would be the best match for it?, also, what would be the rough cost for the chair and mounting kit? ..... thanks in advance

My first choice would be our M72C however the M72CX, Expedition Tomahawk, Tomahawk SE, and Kenna as well as the Sputnik would al work well. It all depends on what features you need and want, styling you like and what the budget allows for which is why we have so many options. All of our sidecars the price includes the proper bike specific mounts. Prices start at $2995 for the Sputnik and go up from there. The M72C runs $5495. All of our sidecars can be seen on this page http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecars/
For $8999 was the sidecar installed with "universal" mounts or with mounts designed for the bike and has the steering been modified?
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I don't know about the mounts, but I do know there is a steering damper on the triumph. I'll ask about the mounts, thanks. I am a machinist by trade, do you think the sidecar install would be something I can do? I've rebuilt a couple of mustangs in my day , pretty mechanical guy. What are the odds I can do the install myself

Here are some C50 Suzukis we have set up with Velorex's using easily fabricated subframe brackets.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Attached files

stancotreau - 11/3/2015 7:29 AM

Another option I have been considering is adding a chair to my 2009 Suzuki c50....

Roland down here in Louisiana has been quite pleased with his C50/Velorex combination, which has traversed quite a few miles as a commuter for various family members. I don't know any details, but I understand Roland mounted the sidecar himself.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

J.R. - 11/2/2015 5:40 PM

George ... in N.M. rides a Triumph scrambler with a Velorex. He and lovely bride travel all over the country on it. Seems to be a very good match....

George & Aurora and their widely-traveled Triumph/Velorex rig:

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

stancotreau - 11/3/2015 10:30 AM

I am a machinist by trade, do you think the sidecar install would be something I can do?

You already have a huge advantage over some of us that have done the installation ourselves (you actually know how to read a tape measure). 🙂

But seriously the hardest part is convincing yourself that you can do it. Look at lots of pics of similar outfits to get ideas.
If you do go with bike specific mounts make sure they are sidecar specific also.

Thanks for all of the information. Today I purchased the triumph with a velorex sidecar. Thanks to the information here I knew enough to ask about the mounts, which are motorcycle specific. And I did ask about how they set the car up. I look forward to learning more through the forum

Stan

congrats; good bike AND car combination

here's a picture of the new light I put on the sidecar, that and some handlebar risers and she's good to go!

Attached files

Looks great, you are sure to have a ball!

Page 1 of 2Next