Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

New to sidecars

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Just ordered new Gear Up from Bellingham dealer. Forest Camo they got on the floor, could drive home today. Desert Camo, bike isn't even built yet..., maybe just maybe it'll arrive in time for CSR2.

that was quick!
Hey, Jim... just be careful, okay? We went to the Bellingham dealer (good people up there) and he related a story of a new owner that drove a retro combination home down Rte 9... they both survived, the combination, not so well. It wasn't totaled, but was banged up pretty hard. You can ask they'll probably remember... we went up there to talk hacks and he let my Schatzie bomb around the gravel lot on a brand new patrol that had been assembled but the buyer backed out on the deal.

Anyways, not sayin' anything but be careful and take it real slow until you're used to it.
Cheers,

I know how a bug feels going thru the windscreen so yep, careful is stamped in at bone level.

Will have finished the ESC course Apr 16-18, South Seattle, most likely bike won't be ready 'til right about then.

Desert Camo is so rarely selected they don't even build one 'til order time.

Good news, any freshest latest in production upgrades will be in my pkg and they are moving right up the scale on good clean well proven reliable tech stuff that remains inexpensive and works well in the mud.

I really liked the SAHARA for custom black powder coating and turns out the Bellingham dealer (mods I'm trying to be careful about not plugging for a vendor but I'm actually spending $$$$$ and buying what I'm calling out) did black powder coating as a regional upgrade.

We talked thru the number, a bit south of $1500. for a whole wheelbarrow load of stuff (including jugs & pipes) of what that pkg is, do it right out of factory crate in house, couple extra weeks everything expertly re-assembled, properly heat cycled ect ect.

It's one of those pkg deals that has rock solid value right in front of you for the greenbacks you're handing over. Not like pinstriping.

So it's looking like my ride will be Desert Camo Gear Up with big pkg of custom black powder coat wherever chrome would have been.

Probably won't be ready for SCR2 or if I do have it, won't be but a few fuel tanks into it.

Even tho' I may appear a bit lacadasial about all this, there's been a hole in my group of vehicles (needed inexpensive grocery getter/small parts hauler) for several years and the money I'm spending comes out of pension savings, went in one paycheck at a time. I save my Greenbacks carefully but when a good spend comes around don't loose a wink of sleep about trading money for item, if I've given it a fair think thru.

Also HOG riding just didn't appeal tho' I'll always keep my FLHT as I do like solo & few friends. This whole sidecar group seems familiar and easy. We're also at the time of year that I can get in a fine riding season right after taking delivery. So many dots are connecting, it was time to spend $$$$. HOV lane use is also no small item most anywhere around Puget Sound and will only increase. Having this as HOV capable run-about fills another hole.

Oh yeah, as a 11 yr old, for summer folding money, peddling a reverse trike ice cream cart, schwinn-enormous fat tires, hugh white ice box, I'd do stunts to sell extra ice cream, up on two wheels riding along nearly tipped over, except you'r really in balance, that sort of stuff. Later on Uncle Sugar let me have a crack at Helicopter Gunships..,

See you, Jim.

Hack'n - 2/9/2010 10:00 PM

Hey Tom,
240 miles is a long walk to "next door". He's almost as far away from Hood River as you are.

Lonnie

I know that Lonnie, I was saying that TIC making the point that Vernon does the sort of riding that Jim is dreaming of. One of the best rides I made the entire time I owned the Ural was with Vernon at the Stevenson Rally. We came back from that one feeling like we'd done a days work then stopped at a friend of Vernon's in Carson and drank a couple brews that really hit the spot. Very fine day. And the web site is only as far away as his computer.... I actually get to Boise as often as I get to Hood River!

Think Spring!! It's sure a lot closer here than it was this time last year. Last year we sat the record for most snowfall. This year we're well on the way to setting the record for the least snowfall. Time to put the battery back in the bike.

Adventure Sidecar is also doing a couple of Sidecar Skills Mini Tour weekends this year. Not suitable for beginners but once you have a S/TEP class under your belt and some miles in the saddle this might be a fun way for you to hone your skills....

http://adventuresidecar.com/?page_id=399

I am jealous! I have always wanted Ural Gear up! just can't justify the 15k plus tax for what it is!

Hey Vernon, Thanx, we'll hook up one day, I've already map reconned between us for backroads.

This Gear Up rig seems to fit my 4x dream. Bit too old for 2 wheel off-road. '06 Cummins NOT going in the mud, other than work.

I'll get a ride in to your place sometime this year, maybe see you at CSR2.

Take care, Jim.

So who is going to the Vermont rally?

Jim,
Better take the North Cascade (Hiway 20) route with a Gear Up rig. They don't like freeway speeds. That's the best scenic route anyway.

Lonnie

yep - was thinkin' the same thing about the HOV lanes... but we'll get a chance to talk here purdy soon, uh-huh.

Yep, freeway speed almost for sure I figured from specs it'd be wound up pretty good, not liking it. I'm 90% back road traveler from lots of years as field service tech in my trade before retiring and have been thru nealy every town in the state if it has an elevator.

I do North Cascades loop thru Winthrop and Stevens or Snoqualmie Pass comming back as nice day trip shake down early ride. Winter rides are Olympic Peninnsula loop thru Forks then Hoquiam and back to Seattle. SR 12 to Yakima over White usually works a bit earlier than North Cascades loop.

I'm guessing those roads are the upper limit of what Gear Ups do on clean blacktop with any degree of easy riding about them.

Inner urban arterials, narrow old city neighborhood streets, (I live inner city) ralley riding secondary roads and primitive roads, those are all speeds and uses I'm figuring this car for.

I know I'll like this rig and used it a lot. Just where are the limits is what every newbie (me) needs learn from sesoned riders.

Jim.

PreviousPage 2 of 2