Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

New to Forum/First Sidecar

Hello,
I just picked up a used Velorex 562 last week for my 1998 Honda Shadow ACE Tourer. My friend/neighbor who is heck of lot more technically-inclined will help with the mounting in the upcoming weeks. I'm sure there's a lot of knowledge/expertise here and please accept my apology in advance for the number of questions I may have in the upcoming days/weeks...months, years...
1) Is mounting a rig to a bike a long/involved process?(the sidecar came with the universal mounting kit).
2) The color of the rig is black, but I REALLY want to color match with my bike- two-tone(turquoise/cream). I'm not artistically inclined, but I would rather give a shot at doing it myself versus shelling out $2000 for a professional paint job. Is there any literature out there that could explain the process of paining a sidecar?
3) Does any have a 562 windshield for sale...or know of anyone who has one for sale.
4) A little embarrassed to mention this: the more I've been reading about sidecars, the more nervous I'm feeling about riding with one attached to my bike. I've read about some horrow stories about tragic accidents that have occured while making right turns. I've read instruction/training information and I'm sure I'd follow it to the T, but I bought the sidecar especially for my 6 & 4 year old sons. I just don't want to put them in any danger. Maybe someone can allay my fears here. That's all for now.
Thanks for listening!
Dave

Dave,
First welcome to the world of Sidecaring. Please no apology for asking questions I have been here for a few years and still asking them. I have a 98 Honda Shadow with a 565 Velorex. There maybe some pictures of my set up here. If you can not find them e-mail me and I will send you some. Two people will get it mounted in a few hours and part of that time will be fine tuning.
There are some books here that are free read them then do what they say over and over before putting your boys in the sidecar.

http://www.sidecar.com/links.asp

Dave,

I am also new to this sidecar thing. Hannigan is in the process of building a Classic sidecar to put on my 98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV. I also have some concerns on the driving of a sidecar so as soon as I finish this post I am driving to the Milwaukee, WI area for a two day novice sidecar class. Here is an attachment of areas when classes are held.

http://www.esc.org/step_national_schedule.php

Dave

Thanks for bring up schools they are good way to start.

Welcome to the Group Dave.
I would imagine your 1998 Honda would look something like this: (Attached). This 562 has been equipped with our HD suspension upgrade to handle the heavier bike but the mounting remains the same as yours' would be.
You will need the front upper strut either curved or reshaped like this one for brake control clearance. The rest of the attachment kit can be used as is.
Note how I set the lower rear mount in a straight line instead of the goofy way the Velorex Handbook has it mounted. My method keeps it from slipping and rotating on the sidecar frame.

You can place up to 100# of soft ballast low and to the rear (trunk) of the sidecar till you get used to the handling. Lead shot bags work well at 25# each. Two fabric shopping tote bags with 50# of sand are easy to handle and much cheaper. I recommend soft ballast so it will not damage the fiberglass body if it shifts. After the training curve ballast as needed for your driving style.

A sidecar body paints the same as an automobile body. You should be able to do much better price wise on the painting if you are
able to remove the body, fender and appurtenances you yourself and take just those two parts to the painter. With the simulated leather finish below the waist moulding the painting is much easier. Few paint over that area and it handles rock chips much better than paint.

As stated on your other post, I have two new 562 windshields in stock.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars, LLC

Attached files

Thanks for the responses...very helpful. Lonnie, the attached pictures of VERY helpful. Thank you. The Ace Tourer in the attachment is identical(color inluded) to mine. As I get closer to mounting the rig, I'll have more questions.
Thanks again!
Dave

Phone or email me off site for tech help so we don't clutter up the forums, OK?

Lonnie Cook
208-629-8409 (9:00AM to 9:00PM MDT)
nwsidecar@aol.com

It ain't the rightie's that'll getcha' - watch them lefties!
Don't be afraid to hang your butt off the seat (in both directions) either.

I am all so new to sidecars but have been riding motorcycles over 40 years none stop. Many veteran sidecar people recommend getting the book Driving a Sidecar Outfit, 2nd edition by David Hough, Sidecar Safety Program, Inc. What do the seasoned drivers here have to say about this book?

It's a glossy covered higher priced edition of the Driving a URAL sidecar Book (also by David Hough) that has the same basic information as Hal's "Sidecar Operator Manual" that can be downloaded free here or purchased in book form from USCA.
All three are pretty much the same in content. All have valuable lessons for the beginner sidecar pilot.

Lonnie