Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

New sidecar model the "classic"

I am posting here as not every one looks in the Manufactures section. We have a new model the classic $3995, more photo's in the Manufactures section.

Photo is of the not finished mock up.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Attached files

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

jaydmc - 5/19/2016 12:23 PM I am posting here as not every one looks in the Manufactures section. We have a new model the classic $3995, more photo's in the Manufactures section. Photo is of the not finished mock up. Jay G DMC sidecars 866-638-1793 http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Very nice Jay! You should do very well with your new "Classic Sidecar". For some reason this model sidecar is like a magnet for potential sidecar buyers. I have found that 99% want a windshield so that's something that you might want to consider. The price is right on the money. Congratulations on a well thought out product. With fewer and fewer sidecar builders in the US your new product should rise to the top in no time.

Respectfully Yours,

Johnny Sweet PE.

We will have the windshield design done in a few days as well as many other options over the coming weeks. This is just one of 15 models we are offering.
We are trying to introduce at least 2 new models of sidecars a year. So far this year we have introduced the Tomahawk and the Tomahawk SE. I have attached a photo of the SE. We are working on a modern single seat sidecar with an opening front as our next sidecar.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Attached files

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Absolutely gorgeous.

An old fashioned "split down the middle" windshield would be cool and the could be made with two flat panel components.

Attached files

A split windshield would look neat however we are trying to keep the price point way down as such it will be a curved windshield made in the fixtures we already have for our current windshields. However, we do have an SE version planned, will be out about this time next year. The SE version will be larger with a door in the side among other differences but the overall shape will be the same.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

You gotta love that blue SE with the chrome streamlining bars!

I'm with Al on the split panel windshield! On hot rods we use what is called a Duval windshield, with a sexy curved frame that hugs the cowl shape and also curves across the top. Very nice looking, but also very expensive! I can see your point, Jay! But, maybe offer one as an option to those willing to pay for one!

The Motorvation Spyder is similar to your new "Classic", so I KNOW one can be made without to much problem. Here's my 1981 Spyder with a hand-made split windshield. I used two small sheets of 1/8" thick aluminum bent approximately 40 degrees. I drilled and tapped some #8-32 holes every 3" along some 1/4" aluminum square rod, then curved that rod into the outer shape I wanted for the windshield frame. I transfer-punched all those tapped holes into one sheet of aluminum, then welded it to the inside of the other sheet. After welding I bolted the two sheets together, then I "carved" out the inside areas leaving about 3/8" for a channel to set the glass into. All of the bolt holes were countersunk for stainless flathead screws on the rear sheet (facing the passenger). The front sheet had no holes showing. I had a glass shop cut some glass to fit giving me about 1/8" gap all around, then I set the glass in using 1/8" balsa strips as spacers while I bolted everything together. Once it was all bolted I shot some windshield sealant into the gaps after masking everything for a nice finish. The sealant held it in place and gave a nice smooth finish. I was stupid and waited until after all of this to paint the rest of the frame, but it could be powdercoated first!
My windshield last as long as I had that sidecar and it had over 200k miles on it! The size, and shape of mine also deflected wind off the passenger quite well. With a couple of small fittings along the top edge it could also be a very stout attachment point for a stylish model-t type rag top!
Jay, this shield took me one evening to build, then about an hour to mount to the sidecar after getting the glass installed and sealed. Don't you think someone might like something like this and be willing to pay for it? I'll bet having built one I could easily build five or six in one evening.

Attached files

The way we keep the price down on this sidecar involves keeping the options to a minimum. We will have a version of this sidecar out in about a year that is larger overall and at this time we are looking at a glass V shaped windshield. The more expensive version of the sidecar will be able to have options such as the electric trim and more. We will not be offering many options on the classic as we have to build them all pretty much the same to keep the price point where we are which if you price shop the price is down in the Velorex range and yet is made here in the USA and comes with proper bike specific NOT universal mounting hardware.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793