Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

New Rig Rider

Page 1 of 2Next

I just picked up my 1986 FLHTP w/sidecar yesterday. Ride home was interesting- good thing I've been reading and lurking here for a few weeks. On/Off ramps were interesting, to say the least. Rode true on straightaways and no noticeable shake on acceleration. Not sure if it rode like I expected, because I had no idea what to expect. LOL

Everything looks to be in pretty good shape, but I look forward to getting to know the rig. I've ordered the manuals and they should be in this week. As with any new-to-me bike, I will change oil, brake/clutch fluids, filters, etc. Looking to this group of experts for rig-specific to-dos and gotchas to avoid. There is a trike/sidecar class the first weekend of May that I will take to pick up some good and drop off some bad habits, and my plan is for both the rig and myself to be ready for the rally in June.

Thanks in advance for the advice and admonishments!

Welcome! Show us a pic of your rig, we like pics. 🙂

You're heading in the right direction by taking the training course. In the mean time, take it slow, use at least 50lb ballast in the chair at all times and practice, practice, practice.

+1.   Good idea on the training - it sure helped me realize a couple things I was doing wrong, as well as reinforce a few things I was doing right.   And, yes, we need pics.  Congrats on the new rig.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Here is a pic. More will come in the next few weeks.

Attached files

good looking rig, just new into it myself. what your describing is about what I felt 1st ride,it's getting better. looking for better weather now. I too will look for class then hard for me to get motorcycle riding out of my head yet, Good luck

Great looking rig! Like the white, really makes the rig stand out. Plus it is the most noticeable color. The class will be well worth your time, in the meantime find a big parking lot and push the boundaries, you will learn a lot. Welcome to the non symmetrical world.
Bill D

Thanks all for the compliments and reinforcements!

Hay there very nice If it doesn't have raked trees they would be advised much improved steering.

Great looking rig. I never took the riding coarse only because there is not one any where near me even with in a couple hundred miles but is not a bad idea. I have had my rig on now for over a year and have put at least 7K on it. You ride a motorcycle you drive a rig. So far no raked trees but it is on my list but could be years before I can afford them in my situation.
Welcome to the forum.
Jeff

Wow, beautiful rig! My sportster is white but the hack is black, looking at your rig makes me want to go white with the sidecar as well!

Very nice. Raked triple trees make life a lot easier.
Weight in sidecar when riding solo helps too.

Small picture and write up of my rig was in Motorcycle Bagger Magazine in the Nov / Dec 2013 Issue, page 23.

Good Luck
Jay

86? Really nice!

Very nice, I have a 2000 FLHTP that I am going to move my sidecar to one of these days.

Beautiful rig! Welcome... I envy you folks that are already on the road on three. I'm still awaiting my hack to arrive. After reading so many speak highly of the S/TEP course, I'll be taking one also. I hope to do the training using my own rig since I'd like to practice on what I'll be driving. I'm sort of partial to white also, maybe 'cause my scooter is white too. Yours looks great!

Jay, checked out your album. Great rigs. Is that Morgan yours?? I had a friend that had an early Morgan but she passed away before restoration was completed.

That is a real nice looking rig VALAWNDART, what part of VA are you in ?

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

Thanks for the compliments. Next few weeks are stoopid busy, but will start asking more questions as I get the squawk list worked up.

Have made one inquiry to local dealer about raked trees, but there weren't able to help much due to the age of the rig. Since I am most likely going to rebuild the front forks sooner rather than later (since I'm not totally sure of how the PO maintained it), I would ideally like to make the tree swap at the same time. Have no clue yet where/for what to start looking for the parts.

WVSPORTY, I am in Alexandria.

Wolfhound

Thanks.

Yes, that is our Morgan 3 Wheeler. It's a 2013 with a 120 c.i. S&S X-Wedge engine, 5 speed trans, 0-60 in about 4.5 sec, and a whole lot of fun.

It is licensed as a motorcycle.

Jay

Great old British sports car/motorcycle. Two seater. Don't see many in this country. A definate attention getter. Didn't they go out of production for a while and have now made a come back??

Liberty Sidecars (Pete Larsen) in Seattle, WA is a licensed manufacturer of the Morgan/Harley three wheeler.

Page 1 of 2Next