Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

t would be causing confusion and I stayed with Bike speak. I reordered the front lower side car mount by remodeling the mount to go to the front of the bike frame and designed a nice clean system coming off the front engine mount. I have a own design reverse that uses a dump truck tarp motor on a slider that pulls a spur wheel against the side car tire. Works just great not fast at about 1 ft per sec. I am running the 16" dual disc wheel that was in the frontend I got and I put a Fatboy front fender on the front. I kept the bobbed rear softail fender and the bike looks very retro. I started riding in 1957 and intend to ride this rig into the ground or till I go into the ground.  On the whole the rig is very stable and I am happy. I fitted a modified Ural solo saddle which is also reworked with Jel inserts etc to pamper the bones of my butt and I have a batwing on the front.  I have been reading a lot on the forum as I went along and did get some guidance but its mostly my own design. I am dark on the front and the next phase is going dark on the back without reducing the 1 1/2" drive belt.

Chuck

Whoops most of my post disappeared I will try to find it   Chuckalac    

Let me try this again

My handle is Chuckalac and I live in Travelers Rest SC.  I have been putting a Ural hack on my 1991 FXSTC as well as remodeling the bike to have a retro look. I cannot tell youall how many things that I designed and built then had to go back to the drawing board. I am a long time bike scratch builder and have built several bikes up from the ground including trikes over the years, I like making stuff that works. I am not a thrill rider but  view a motorcycle as serious transport and rode year round rain and snow. My bikes tend to be Road Warriors and have a journeyman look about them. I value reliability and function above all with comfort somewhere between those 2. 

This bike is now equipped with an Electroglide frontend and dual discs. I reversed the trees and after modifying by machining and welding the top tree I now have an apparant 28 deg rake I know that  that is not exactly the right terminology because the neck is still factory. I designed and built me a electric reverse using a dump truck tarp motor on a slider and drive the sidecar wheel with a spur wheel, Its slow about 1 ft per sec but it works. I also took a Ural solo saddle and did some work on it with Jel pads and replaced the rubber block with a mountain bike saddle spring which I have arranged that I sort of float on the spring. To keep Mama happy I built her a dash shelf with outlets and a light. I also put a mount for her electric cooler on the space next to her on the bike side and it share power with my foglight via a 2 way switch in the side car. The light and the cooler both pull 7.5 A, so its one or the other. I also put a head rest behind her chair. I plan on riding this rig into the ground unless I go into the ground first we turn 80 this Saturday. I am looking forward to the NC rally in April which is about 2 hrs or so away    Chuck

Welcome aboard chuckalac

sounds like an interesting combination you are working on, can you post some pictures. Wow 28 deg that is insane, how did you manage to pull that off 

I look forward to meeting you and seeing your set up at the rally 

USCA # 8913

Let me tell you that was blind luck. I put the lower tree in and like a I said I had to reverse it because the Softail runs the forks ahead of the neck and the glide they run behind. Anyhow I found that the neck pivot hole in the tree did not align with the pivot shaft  when I slipped the tubes in, so I had to remove a tad over 1/8" from the front of the hole and then make an eccentric spacer to correct the fit up which I Heliarced into the tree when I had it all together and I had even less trail than I was hoping for. 

I also have 2 upper struts and also a lower strut from the car to the bike so I have 5 point hookup 3 at the rear and 2 at the front. If you shake the rig it is absolutely solidly married like it is welded. How ever to split the rig I just have to pull the heim joint bolts along with the strut bolts and unplug the electrical and it will come right off If I have to do major work on the bike. It seems to go back perfectly and needs no adjustment. I set the toe in @5/8" at a point 9'6" ft in front of the back axle with 2 alum. beams against the tires, I have 1 deg lean out. It has handled perfectly from ride one. The car pushes and pulls at the right times otherwise the steering is neutral unless I have neg camber on a back road. I  have not ridden it with the glide front I had the FXSTC front end in and apart from really heavy slow speed steering it worked ok but it looked wrong so that is why I went to the glide and 16" dual disc wheel and Fatboy front fender. Now I have the retro look that fits with my sidecar and it looks right. I think that I am now where I can finish up and go ride.  I still have to do the dark on the back wheel and I am not going to go to a slimmer belt I like that 1 1/2" belt.  I have moved the disc in 1/2" and put a 1/2" spacer on the pulley side but kept the bearings in the original location.  I am using black spoke  mags. Now to reconfigure the caliper to make it all work. I will also have to split the back fender and add about 1/2" in the middle. By the way  I do  not seem to have any problems flying the chair in right turns and It looks like I get  just over 30 mpg is that about right for an Evo. With the blunt car /windscreen and batwing on the bike

Chuck

It is with heavy hearts that we at Wheels Through Time let you know that our beloved founder, curator, and friend Dale Walksler passed away peacefully, with his wife by his side, at home on February 3, 2021, after a courageous four year battle with cancer.

In 1967 at the age of 15, Dale built his first motorcycle, sparking a life-long love affair with American Motorcycles and their history. At 22, Dale established a Harley/Davidson Franchise in Mt. Vernon, Ill: Dale’s Harley-Davidson. His signal success as a dealer grew to include the decades-long work that would define his life: the creation of the museum we now know as Wheels Through Time.

As the museum collection grew, so too did Dale’s vision for the museum, his reputation, his mechanical and curatorial skills, and a goal of always exceeding expectations of customers and guests.

In 2002 Dale opened the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC. From humble beginnings in a small Illinois town, one of the world’s premier collections of rare and vintage American motorcycles, automobiles, and memorabilia emerged. Wheels Through Time became an Iconic American Institution and known internationally.

Those who have visited Wheels Through Time know that Dale’s passion was  amazing putters not just something to be observed but rather experienced. Whether it was listening to his vast knowledge and stories of transportation history or watching him start a motorcycle, his was a passion that was infectious. It inspired in many, that same desire to preserve and celebrate American motorcycle history. His genius rested on the latter portion of the Wheels Through Time logo, “The Museum That Runs.”

Dale was a man of vision, zeal, intensity, imagination, and generosity. He will be deeply missed by his family, friends, and the staff at Wheels Through Time, and as well as by the countless tens of thousands who have visited the museum.

Dale’s vision was not just one of preserving the past but was also focused on the future. In that regard, he made great strides to ensure that the museum and his legacy would carry on for generations to come.

A celebration of Dale’s life will be announced at a later date. At this time, we ask for privacy for the family as they mourn his passing. At Dale’s request, in lieu of flowers, please send any donations and condolences to Wheels Through Time, PO Box 790, Maggie Valley, NC 28751.

All donations will be dedicated to ensuring the continuance of the legacy that Dale created far into the future and to giving museum visitors historical insight into the vital role that transportation has played in American history. The thrill of hearing the cycles run coupled with thoughts of riding into the wind will continue to evoke thoughts of Dale’s vibrant spirit --- and his dream.