Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

New Member from the "Bluegrass State"

Ya'll,

I have been a motorcyclist for over 40 years and have owned and ridden "countless" motorcycles.... you know the sickness. I have reached the time of retirement (20 years in military - USAF 72-76, USN 82-86 [all four years I served with the 3rd Marine Air Wing at El Toro, CA] and 12 years in the TN Air National Guard), and 24 years as a public school teacher. I retired from the military in 2011 and from teaching just this last May - thank GOD!
I am in the process of doing the research and deciding on what kind of 1st Rig I should buy. Which is what brought me to this forum. I want a rig that is relatively light, but powerful enough to cruise at 75 all day if that is what I choose to do.

I live about 40 miles from Hannigan Sidecar's in Murray, KY. I have visited his place on several occasions. About $6-$7 thousand for a good rig attached to what you bring to the table as a tug is a bit more than I wanted to start out with. I was looking at: http://www.cyclesidecar.com/showroom/index.html a Cozy Sidecar (Rocket model) attached to one of the following.

Honda Nighthawk 750
Suzuki Bandit 1200
Harley Davidson 883/1200
Moto Guzzi T-3, EV11
BMW R100R

What does the "collective" think of this combination - good / bad? Other suggestions?

I would encourage you to look at heavier and/or wider rigs. They provide a good deal of stability which is ideal for a new pilot. Heavy is good with a sidecar rig, it's not like you have to pick it up from a drop, unless things go seriously wrong, of course!

I drive a GL1100 ('82 Oldwing) with a doublewide car. Not real easy to fly the chair on this rig, even if I'm trying!

Welcome you may want to look at the post below.

http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12782&posts=31&start=1

One issue with many of the lower priced sidecars that are made over sea's is that the come with "universal" type mounts which seldom work well on any thing. You are much better off spending a bit more money on a sidecar that comes with bike specific mounts. For your first rig it is often best to start by buying a used rig already set up. If you want to go new, we make as do some other companies in the USA bike specific mounts that come with our sidecars. As we are with out power right now at the shop and have been for two days and will be for another day or so I can not look up all of the mounts we make. I think we have mounts for your 750 night hawk but not sure, We have done the 1200 bandit but never tooled to reproduce the mounts, the Sportster we have mounts and triple tree's for. At this link you can see how we mount to the Sportster and why "universal" type mounts suck http://www.dmcsidecars.com/the-result-of-improper-sidecar-mounting-and-the-proper-fix/ We have mounts for your T-3 and for you EV we have mounts as well as triple tree's to lower the steering effort and of course we have mounts for the BMW R100R.
Our two least expensive sidecars are the Kenna single and the M72B both start at $3995 and come with the proper mounts.
If you really want to go with the Cozy sidecar, try and look at one in person before you buy. If you still want one we can supply the mounts for your bikes, the mounts run $725 however we also require you to make some weld on changes to the sidecar frame to up grade its mounting system so in addition to the bike side mounts you will need a weld on cross tube for the rear lower mount on the sidecar $75, and two 70 degree clamps $65 each, two 70 degree bosses $65 each and two 5/8 inch hiem joints $40 each.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

The Cozy sounds a little light to be paired with the larger bikes on your list unless you want to carry anvils in the sidecar.

Denny, a sustained 75mph on a rig takes some "oomph" such as the various Bandit rigs that have been listed in the Complete Rigs for Sale section here.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing a sidecar mounted on a CB1100.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Ya'll,

Thanks for the good advice and direction. The bikes that I listed under my post were "possible" candidates for my tug. I don't own any of these.

Honda Nighthawk 750
Suzuki Bandit 1200
Harley Davidson 883/1200
Moto Guzzi T-3, EV11
BMW R100R

I have a Honda CB1100 and a Suzuki GS-500E, currently, in my "man cave."

A friend of mine and I have both been looking at buying new Urals. I would like the "new" M70 model, but was exploring other alternatives that might be a bit less than the $18000 it would set me back. I think it is sound advice to buy one that is already set up - new or used. I have driven a Ural rig about two years back. Another friend had a Gear Up - 2011 model. That is what got the ball rolling.

Maybe a Cozy Rocket model is on the small size for my first rig, but I really don't want a massive hack to start with either. I thought about doing something with my Honda CB1100, but it is a 2013 model with the smaller tank 3.6 gallons I believe. That seems to be a deal breaker. My thought is a sidecar rig should have at least 5 gallons and carry a couple of extra gallons in a spare jerry can.

My wife ,as Lee's wife Jena,both ride Suzuki 650 Burgmans. Both are capable of crusing at freeway speeds. We were in Canada this summer and the terribly rough roads bent some of the frame parts on her Rocket model. I am in the process of changing it to a California commuter.
Look for a used rig to start with. Sidecars might not be for you. I have a BMW cruiser with a Hannigan on it. It works it to keep up with the Burgman.
Any of the choices you list will make a good tug.
J.R.
Sec. Tex. rep

Cec out the Velorex in Dallas for $500. This would be a cheap way to start out.
J.R.
Sec.
Tex. rep

You have to ask yourself how you intend to use the sidecar rig. If only for local riding, the smaller chairs will work. On longer trips you will want more room in the sidecar. We have a Motorvation Formula II LTD on a 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer. We rode it more than 12,000 miles this year. With the flip nose on the Formula II my wife can enter and exit easily without climbing up a fender or taking a giant step to get in and out.

3.5 gallons won't take you very far at 75mph. The previous tug was an '81 Goldwing (1100cc). It could do a sustained 75mph unless pulling up a long incline and particularly against the wind. Mountain riding with the old bike involved a lot of shifting gears and losing speed when climbing.

Auxiliary gas tanks are another option and are relatively easy to install, especially on carbed bikes.