Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

New here

Page 1 of 2Next

Hey folks just joined your forum last night so I could start some researching on riding these sidecars. Picked up this 98 HD today with only 4000 miles. I have been riding for 35 years but only 2 wheelers. Plan on taking it SLOW

Attached files

64deville - 3/5/2014 8:39 PM
Hey folks just joined your forum last night so I could start some researching on riding these sidecars. Picked up this 98 HD today with only 4000 miles. I have been riding for 35 years but only 2 wheelers. Plan on taking it SLOW

Hey, that's sure a purdy rig. If I recall correctly, that's the "root beer & foam" anniversary colors. Good plan taking it slow, but I also recommend a S/TEP class. I took the class after 4 months of ownership, which helped me go from "herding" to "driving" the ring. In the meantime, you can get a copy of the "yellow book" (Driving a Sidecar Outfit by David L Hough) and/or Hal Kendall's information available here: http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp.

Be patient as you re-learn 35 years of riding habits - a sidecar rig is not a motorcycle. It took me a couple thousand miles to become a reasonably competent sidecar pilot.

Hey, tell us where you are - might be some fellow sidecarist in your area.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

I am in NC but did not see any riding classes anywhere close to me

Nice Rig!!!!
There are some good books online you can read for free. I am in Georgia and a member of the Georgia Sidecar Club. We have a member that lives in NC. You are welcome to come to our events you do not need to be a member even thaw year dues are only $18 which you get news letters. Our big rally is in June. No charge to be there other they your campsite. If you are on FaceBook we have a page to post you have to sign up to keep the rift raft out.
Jeff
Macon, GA

There are S/TEP classes offered in Virginia in several locations. The closest to the NC line would probably be in Danville. They get many out of staters. You can contact them through Danville Community College. The classes are great and you will get to meet other off-balance people of the sidecar world. Hopefully we will be starting classes in Martinsville, VA soon. Best of luck, great looking rig! 🙂

I defiantly recommend a class! I did not take one as I could not find anywhere near me. I did do a lot of reading before installing my hack. Being mine is my only transportation I had to learn FAST. LOL Welcome to the forum.

Jeff I see you live in Macon. That's where I bought this rig yesterday

64deville - 3/6/2014 4:45 PM

Jeff I see you live in Macon. That's where I bought this rig yesterday

What part of NC do you live in? I sure did not know about this rig sure looks really good.
Jeff

Just outside Winston Salem. It was a 6hr ride each way. What are you riding

64deville - 3/6/2014 6:17 PM

Just outside Winston Salem. It was a 6hr ride each way. What are you riding

My only transportation like most of my 44 years of none stop riding mostly motorcycles but now do to my age and health a rig is a 02 Ultra I bought new and a 06 Harley standard sidecar. She now has over 97,000 miles on her and if it where not do to my situation would have many more as well I would have my last five states coming soon. She is not as pretty as yours and a rig of many colors but I really enjoy her just like she is. She is driven daily no matter the weather as I do not like cages.

photo 394844_4678937288971_1049865364_n_zps362e7512.jpg

You can buy the 'Driving a Sidecar Outfit' (David L. Hough) self training manual from the Evergreen Safety Council in Washington state or thru Whitehorse Press. It is the work book used at the classes but it was originally designed to serve as a self training aid, many do it this way and succeed. Best $35 you will ever spend regarding this sport. There are no doubt copied (shared?/stolen) ones available free online, if you can do that and look yourself in the mirror, i'd hope not. The class is a great idea but not the only way.

You can read Hal Kendall book online at no charge.

http://www.sidecar.com/Files/SC%20OP%20Manual.pdf

I'm sure Hal intended that to be so and the knowledge imparted is well worth the reading. I'd forgotten about that, Thanks Jeff. Quite unlike the copied/pasted versions of 'Driving a Sidecar Outfit" that are pirated around the internet. Stealing is just as tacky when folks chose to call it 'sharing'.

I had a 95th Anniversary stage II Road King rig. Had most every Harley accessory on it but needed Liberty raked trees to be a first class touring outfit.

Lonnie

Attached files

Gee Lonnie, couldn't you just renew your gym member and pump some iron? hahaha!

Just started back up at the gym two weeks ago after 11 months of chemo. Inactivity has added 35# of lard.

Lonnie

Glad they dropped the outrageous price jump for a more reasonable figure.

Lonnie, get well and keep Your attitude high up.
I say to the people that I ware a filled belly...Others pay a gymn, I get some fuel and take of with the rig into the mountains...

My aunt Hannelore had the following recipe for to overcome cancer:
Every 15 minutes she told herself_ "I want to live, I want to live, I want to live."

Worked well for many others like my 88 year old mother in law too.
Best wishes and go for it.
Sven

😉 😉 😉

Great looking rig you found! Congrats and enjoy it.

Thanks took it out for the first time today. It seemed to track very well. Nothin but smiles so far

Great to hear. We always say miles of smiles.

Page 1 of 2Next