Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

New Guy need advice BMW w Ural

Hi guys. New to this forum-First post. I'm a long time Bike rider of the 2 wheel variety and have owned K and R BMW's as well as a couple Harleys in the past. I'm 66 years old and find myself bikeless now but getting the bug again. There's a couple old guys like me in town with BMW EML rigs (K75 and R100RT) and I can't help noticing how cool their side car rigs are. Is it a huge learning curve to adapt to a sidecar rig? I've never rode one. Are they easier or harder on my old bones than my previous bikes? I've been checking CraigsList and this site for rigs and have always been looking for a BMW-EML combo but recently I've found a R100RS ('83) with a Ural Side Car-What do you think? How are the Urals mated to a Beemer? Any thoughts you can send my way would be appreciated. Talk me into it or talk me out of it...(to make my wife happy.....) Thanks

Steve,
search a bit on this forum and you will notice, that many of your questions have been answered before.
Yes, sidecar pushing is a whole different animal and can become dangerous specially for us who had a bunch of miles on 2 wheels, but it is so much fun you will not regret it.
We had persons who started at the age of 80+ and enjoyed it...
There is nothing even an old grunty dog cannot learn...

And all of us were asked for the reason of this wide grin on the face from ear to ear....
Answered with a question to ourself:
"Why didn't I do this already years back?" *

Extend your life at the fresh air and forget about doctors. Pushing a rig is daily exercise that is more worth then at a Gymn.
Sven

30 years ago I did ask so *. therefor 2 years ago I pushed my son to make his license on a rig...he still doesn't want to drive a car and only has 2000km on 2 wheels but quite a bit on 3.

Welcome to the slightly off-center world of sidecars, Frenchy!

As Sven said, side cars are a different animal. Not more dangerous than 2 wheels, just different. The main difference is that rigs don't lean, so the "butt knowledge" you have built over the years isn't of help. In fact, with the way sidecars can waggle and yaw (to steal some aviation terms) your "butt knowlage" may interpret these unusual movements as trouble. That's where, as Sven says, your 2-wheel experience can get you in trouble. It's a matter of practice, first in a parking lot, then on low traffic streets, to re-learn your butt.

PM sent

The BMW / Ural rig sounds like a great rig to start with. I'm 72 yrs. young and just go into the world so Sidecars about a month ago, after riding 2-wheels for over 50 years. I bought a used fully assembled rig with 52K proven miles on it. Boy is it a different animal! I started driving it in my neighborhood (gated community, 3 mile loop); did that for about a week, then moved out onto the farm-to-market roads, now doing a bit of highway, but not interstate yet. Saturday, I take my Sidecar Driving school (located 60 miles from my home, very lucky for me). Enjoying it more everyday, and the "ear-to-ear grin" is real.

Later, Bud...