Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

new front tire

I am in need of a new front tire on my 2014 Harley Limited. Is anyone using a larger tire or a rear tire on the front? I have heard the Bridgestone Battlax BT46 rear tire is often used as a front tire with reverse mounting. Anyone using this going with a larger size? Thanks!

just my 2 cents and not a Harley but I tried the Battlax and did not like the results. I found on the wing it cupped out way too soon and had to be removed due to ride discomfort

I'm trying the Cobra trike tire now and so far I like it but I don't have many miles on it yet. I did always like the Pilot Activ rear tire on the front 

USCA # 8913

Running a larger rear tire in the front is not going to gain you much.  It is still going to wear. Car tire on rear will give you a lot 17 inch rear will except a 195/60 R17 perfectly same height and 1/2 wider.

Doing a wide front end mod would cost couple 1,000 at least and you could run a 180 upfront but still gain little.

Quote from buduski on February 15, 2022, 10:50 am

I am in need of a new front tire on my 2014 Harley Limited. Is anyone using a larger tire or a rear tire on the front? I have heard the Bridgestone Battlax BT46 rear tire is often used as a front tire with reverse mounting. Anyone using this going with a larger size? Thanks!

The Bridgestone BT45 (not 46) has been a favorite for trikes and sidecar rigs for many years.  And, yes, a rear tire mounted backwards is the standard application.  I've used BT45's on my BMW GS rigs, and my BMW K1200LT rig, and have been more than pleased.

On a trike or a sidecar, you want the Rear type tire because rear tires are, first of all, stiffer than front tires.  Rears also have a flatter tread profile so they wear longer.  A front tire, with the more rounded profile, wears more quickly right down the middle of the tread

Bridgestone discontinued the BT45 in 2020 and replaced it with the BT46, and they are marketing it as a "new and improved" BT45.  The tread pattern and the carcass construction of those two tires appear to be very similar.  One big difference though is that the BT45 used a dual compound tread (long-wearing in the center and grippier on the shoulders) while the BT46 is using a single compound that Bridgestone is touting as both grippy and long-wearing.  Yeah, sure, of course.  I have high hopes for the BT46 but waiting for more user reports.

I now have a BT46 Rear on the front of my Gold Wing GL1800 rig.  But it's new so I don't have first hand feedback yet.

By the way, if somebody gives you feedback about the Bridgestone "Battlax" they ran on their bike, be aware that Bridgestone likes using the word "Battlax" in the names of their motorcycle tires.  Currently they market more than 20 completely different tires all with the name "Battlax."  A Battlax BT46 is nothing like a Battlax BT39 or a Battlax T31. Also pay attention to Front and Rear.  A BT46 Front is a completely different tire from a BT46 Rear.

Big Tom, CCjon and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Big TomCCjonAceinSavmasegraves

hmm,, that is good info about the BT tires, I think the tire I ran that I didn't like was the BT45 rear tire on the front in reverse rotation

Thanks Drone  

hdgypsyman and DRONE have reacted to this post.
hdgypsymanDRONE
USCA # 8913

I have a 2011 Roadglide Ultra with a Motorvation Formula II sidecar on it.  The stock front tire is a 130/80-17 size.  I chose the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 rear tire in 140/80V-17 and so far I am very pleased with the performance with no fitment problems.  I am running it on the front of the bike mounted backwards from the way it would be run on the back.  Not a ton of miles yet, but so far I am very pleased.  I looked yesterday on the Dennis Kirk website and as Drone stated the BT45 is no longer available and seems to be replaced by the BT46. 

DRONE has reacted to this post.
DRONE
USCA Member and Minnesota State Representative

For those running the Bridgestone BT-46 rear tire on the front, please post up progress reports on wear, performance and handling.

Many are looking at the BT-46 as a replacement for their BT-45 when the time comes.

Who currently has the best prices on the BT-46?

DRONE has reacted to this post.
DRONE

I just took a quick look online, searching for just size 140/80-B17 BT 46 Rear from U.S. sellers.  I found prices from $210 shipped to $130 shipped.  That's a pretty ridiculous swing in prices! 

The low price was from Chaparral Motorsports in California -- http://www.chapmoto.com

Dennis Kirk doesn't have free shipping, but it looks like with shipping they'd be right around the same price -- http://www.denniskirk.com

Big Tom has reacted to this post.
Big Tom