Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

New Family, Safety?

Hello!

My husband and I are expecting our first. We're avid riders (he has been riding for about 30 years, me for about 2). Riding is his passion and of course, he wants to plan ahead for our family.

He's trying to convince me that a sidecar is the best option to allow our little family the opportunity to continue enjoy riding. I am, of course, concerned with matters of safety. Most of what I have read raises awareness to handling matters, recommends sidecar courses, and discusses roll over rates with poor maneuvering. I'm more concerned with "what the other guy is doing" than with the operator.

Is there any data on safety as it relates to other drivers, crash ratios, etc?

What is your experience with safety and families?

Thank you!

Your husband is correct in that a sidecar is the best option for family outings via motorcycle. With regards to the safety aspect it would be prudent not to take infants along for a ride, but once they've grown to the point where they can sit upright by themselves and can fit into a proper helmet then the sky's the limit.

Much of what you read about "poor manouevering" and "handling matters" can be attributed to people who have ridden only 2-wheelers suddenly deciding to jump on a sidecar rig and take it for a spin. Because the dynamics of driving a sidecar rig are different from that of a 2-wheeler, they end up scaring the crap out of themselves because they don't know what they're doing and thus sidecars get an undeserved bad reputation. The fact is, a properly trained driver can move along at a pretty good clip on a sidecar rig and enjoy the ride. Sidecar training courses are recommended for much the same reason as safety courses for motorcycles are - to learn how to safely and properly operate the vehicle.

I'm not sure about all the various rules and regulations of each US State, but up here in Canada most insurance companies consider the addition of a sidecar to have a positive effect on driver and passenger safety and longevity. If one is tooling along with the family in the sidecar, chances are very good that the driver will be operating it in a far more sensible manner than some testosterone enhanced 16yr old on a powerful sport bike.

I think that what Mike said is spot on!

As usual Mike has solid advice. Most states consider a sidecar rig to be a motorcycle with sidecar accessory, so a sidecar passenger has to comply with whatever laws apply to a motorcycle passenger as to helmets etc. I have seen folks install a seat belt to hold a toddler in place. I do not think it would have much effect in a crash. On the positive side, a sidecar rig will be more stable on slick surfaces and the added width/lighting and the fact that it is unusual means drooling nitwit car drivers are more likely to notice you.

I do not know of any statistics about sidecar rigs in crashes. I was a fatal accident investigator in my police days and fortunately never handled a motorcycle fatal. I do not think a sidecar rig would be reported in a different way than a 2-wheeled fatal.

That you are considering this instead of wanting to coccoon your child is very encouraging. Go with a sidecar rig and think of the many wonderful memories you will all have.

Gummiente - 9/24/2012 8:14 AM Much of what you read about "poor manouevering" and "handling matters" can be attributed to people who have ridden only 2-wheelers suddenly deciding to jump on a sidecar rig and take it for a spin..

I'd like to expand on this a little. People are generally terrified of sidecars because of hearing things like this. I've been running a sidecar for more than 40 years now. The only problems I have ever encountered with novice riders have been attributed to mismatched or poorly set up machines. If you get on a rig setup for a 300 pound rider and 200 pound passenger but you weigh 100 pounds, it will be a problem. If you get on a machine set up for someone your size it will be easy to learn on and you will feel comfortable quickly. Classes are great, and I encourage attendance if possible, but it is possible to learn without them.

My son literally grew up in a sidecar. He spent many a night lieing on the floor of it using the seat as a pillow while we traveled. It is, by far, the best way to keep the family together in the sport. If you're as lucky as I, your kids will grow up to be sidecarists as well.

Hi Ribbons: Fellow sidecarist wvsporty is currently traveling with this grandson on an extended journey and should have some insights upon his return. See more info here: http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10649&posts=6&start=1

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have been riding none stop for over 40 years but just attached my first sidecar a few weeks ago. Yes you ride a motorcycle and drive a rig. It is totally different and if you take it easy not a big deal. A few weeks back I took my oldest grandson for about a 55 mile ride and I was extra careful. All so took my daughter, one of my oldest twins and my oldest grandson for a short ride. If I felt it was unsafe I would not of take any of them for a ride.

Luckily do to my bike and rig I do not have to worry to much about how much weight or little weight I put in my hack but most you do. I will all so say taking turns or sharp curves I have slowed down a lot with is not a bad thing. I am old to the age I do not care about being fast. I have no problem on the interstate running 70 to 80 MPH. It is a learning experience but in my opinion well worth it.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Mike is absolutely right on. After 48 years of riding two wheels I got curious as to whether this old dog could learn new tricks. Took a weekend sidecar training class and went ahead and purchased a rig. It's a continuous learning curve, just as riding two wheels is. Personally, after four years of driving a sidecar rig (yes, a person does "drive" a sidecar rig) I feel just as comfortable on three wheels as two. I simply ride in a manner appropriate for each rig. Frankly, on wet pavement I actually feel more comfortable on the sidecar rig. Under no circumstances will it slide out from underneath me!

I would not recommend taking any child in a sidecar until they're old enough to have a helmut that fits properly. They also need to be old enough to understand that there's no "fooling around" while riding in the car. Other than that, I personally believe that sidecars are every bit as safe (and in some respects safer) as two wheelers. Sidecars are an excellent choice for a young family to be able to cycle together.

Have a wonderful ride.

Karl

Two years ago my wife and I were in the same position you are in. Do we give up riding or make it a family hobby? We decided to try a sidecar for a while and so far we really enjoy it. Our son is now 22 months old and we ride around town some. My son enjoys it and gets excited when I mention sidecar. We have to be careful because if we are having a conversation and mention sidecar, the next thing you know he is standing next to me with my motorcycle boots ready to go. Next year we will venture out more.

Listen to the experts and read everything you can. I always figure if we decide we don’t like it, then we will sell it and do something different as a family. So far we have no regrets in our decision to have a sidecar.

Attached files

My grandson did his first poker run in mine when he was about six months old. With his car seat strapped in to the seatbelt he smiled or slept for 100 miles. As he got older a booster seat worked well,and if he grows as much this year as last year I suspect the seatbelt may be fine. Make sure you have pillows for them though,as the rig seems to lull them to sleep.

My grandson started riding at 2 years and 4 months, last July . He now has over 5000 miles riding with me and we just went on a 7 day 1350 mile road trip to Deals Gap NC and rode the Tail of the Dragon twice and 28 and the Cherohala Skyway. A good carseat and a convertible top till yours gets older will help . Mine loves the new 4 inch windshield i made for ours instead of the 12 inch but he thinks its a carnival ride.

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

Hey Ribbons, check my post for some cool pics. I will gat you some close up pics fo the seat and "redneck hanns device" on my rig . Aiden would rather ride in the sidecar than in the car or truck 95% of the time . He has ridin in the rain a few times and has asked to go riding in the rain. As long as we are moving he doesnt get wet other than a few drops on top of his helmet . Check here for some REALLY COOL pics. we are on both pages of pics this day
http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=8663292&g=04RK01RW00
and here we are on page 12
http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=8663291&g=04RK01RV08

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member