Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

New Comers Questions.

Hello, I'm looking at sidecars for my 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic and I have noticed that some cars have brakes and some don't. I was wondering what owners think of the importance of having the brake on the car. Also the importance of the steering assist addons I've seen on some. I've never ridden a bike with side car but think me and my wife would enjoy it. I live in East Tn. and I have only seen one bike with side car in the area. I have not found an installer close to my location so I would be doing the install myself with a friend of mine. Also I was wondering how you back them up. I know that a lot of trikes have reverses but I'm guessing you have to be careful not to get into a backing up situation. I like the looks of the DMC Classic but I know they don't have the brake. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I've got a 2012 Ural M70 70th Anniversary Edition and it has a brake on the car, as well as a reverse gear. (Pretty sure both come standard on most Urals.) I can't really imagine not having a reverse gear on the bike... and I'm in the process of getting an Indian Chief Vintage with a DMC Tomahawk SE sidecar installed, which will have the sidecar brake, but no reverse. I've seen a lot of people talking about electric reverses, so I may look into that at some point if it proves to difficult to manually back up the new rig. I live in a pretty flat area (eastern ND), so hopefully it won't be an issue. But the brake on the sidecar is, to me, a necessity. All that weight hanging off the right side of your bike will result in some funny physics if/when you have to slam on the brakes for any reason and the sidecar's inertia wants to keep moving it down the road. Also, the added weight of the sidecar will increase the wear/tear on your bike's brakes, so having a brake on the sidecar will help out there, too.

If I were you, I would definitely get the brake on the sidecar. The reverse is more of a "nice to have" thing.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Great info thanks.

On all of our sidecars the brake is either standard or an option. On the Classic it is $600. My feeling on a brake is that if it keeps you out of the emergency room even once it is well worth the money. The reason we make it an option is some people do not look past the price and with the classic being basically as in expensive as even a Velorex at only $3995 but made in America and coming with proper bike specific mounts there is not much of a margin to be able to add a brake with out raising the price so we make it an option. We use Brembo calipers on Rotors made to our specifications out of cast iron.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Attached files

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I drive a '82 Goldwing with a double-wide sidecar (Auburn Gemini, been out of print for quite a while). I have no SC brake, no electric lean (aka electric trim), no damper and no reverse. I do have modified triples and bike specific mounts.

SC Brake - I would add one if it were an option. My rig is fairly wide and when I load up the car, it tends to push/pull the bike under hard braking. A brake way out there on that SC wheel would definitely help.
Reverse - I don't miss/need it. Just got to have a parking strategy. Pull thru spots are gold! Boxed-in spots that slop UP are next, followed by flat spots. A boxed in spot that slopes DOWN is to be avoided as is gravel (think foot slippage when pushing back).
Modified triple - Definitely worth the $$. It's like having power steering when compared to factory triples.
bike-specific mounts - I tried universals, and they suc! Luckily I realized it before they damaged my bike frame too much.
Electric Lean - I do OK without it, but like the brakes, I'd add it if I could.
Damper - I have no head shake so no need for this desperation fix (no offense intended to those who love their dampers!)

I have to agree, go with the brakes if you can. it is well worth it. I had brakes on mine but rode it for 2 years before I ever hooked them up
I rode that same 2 years before I installed a 4.5 easy steer. I decided to hook up the brakes and add the steering kit because I pull a camper a lot and ride in the twisties a good bit. under normal riding it was OK stock but when in a lot of curves and then the added trailer it was just too much of a workout. Plus I'm working on teaching my wife how to drive the rig and she couldn't handle it stock
I think your nomad will make a wonderful tug, take your time and find the right car for it. GET the bike specific mounts Don't skimp on that part
ride it and decide if you need to change the trees or not

USCA # 8913

Most of the roads we ride are cuuurrrrvvvy with switch backs like in NC mountains. AJ is the 4.5 easy steer the triple tree rake or something different? Mine is the 03 Classic not the Nomad so there are some differences in them. Does the car need to be adjusted when you have an empty car or a passenger or is it set up to do both? (Maybe a dumb question) I would think with passenger bike would lean right when empty bike would lean left. Oldschool you mentioned a dampener what is that exactly? NCdave that would be great to meet up near Asheville I would like to check your bike set up before I order just pm me and we can see what we can set up. I will definitely get the brake. The DMC Classic is the one I like, and I have been emailing Jay at DMC asking questions about so when I get ready I will hopefully know everything I need. Great help guys thanks, And I am sure I will have more questions as I go along lol *how do I add pictures don't see an attachment box *

A damper is basically a shock absorber connected between your forks and the bike frame. The idea is to dampen out any vibrations that might lead to a head shake which might ultimately lead to a tank slapper. While they do the job quite well of preventing shake, they add resistance to steering.

Yes, a rig will ride different when loaded vs unloaded. Typically one adds ballast to an empty car to compensate. Manual changes to lean out will also help. That's where electric lean is a benefit because you can adjust your lean from the seat and usually on the fly.

On a sidecar brake, I wouldn't ride without one. My first rig had a brake, but it wasn't connected, and I totaled it when the sidecar pushed the rig to the left in a panic stop. Modified triple trees will require less steering effort, after a long day of riding your arms and shoulders will thank you. I have had reverse on all four of my rigs, but often found I didn't use it much, it is not hard to get off and push it backwards, since you don't need to hold the bike upright. The Gold Wings used the starter motor for reverse, and it is expensive to replace if you wear it out.

Ok do you adjust the electric lean by a switch or does it adjust automatically while you ride? Where do you get them? And will they fit the DMC Classic Jay? Sorry more questions lol

Electric trim is adjusted with a switch, normally on the left handle bar. Electric trim is an option on all of our sidecar priced from $5495 but not on any off the sidecars priced at $3995 like the classis as these are on a much simpler chassis.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I don't think the 4.5 deg kit I installed is a rake kit but it is very simular, it pushes the front wheel out while leaving the frame neck the same, this reduces trail
as for the elec. lean it is a switch controlled devise. I can tell you with the larger bike and heavier sidecars I couldn't imagine not having it
I have mine mounted beside my horn button on the handle bars so I can easily and safely adj. the lean on the fly
as for car and bike lean when empty or loaded, I do have to adjust my car when my wife rides, whether she is in the car or on the back of the bike
I don't run with added ballast weight. I have a 6 gal. tank behind the seat that helps but my car is fairly heavy on it's own
I can' still count on 1 hand when it's tried to lift the tire that I didn't make it do it
you just have to be careful on those right hand turns and learn how to use the throttle to your advantage
giving the right amount throttle at the right time in a right hand turn will pull the car down and help keep it planted through the turn or curve
BUT it takes time to learn how to do it safely and not just push the rig to the outside of your turn or curve

USCA # 8913

Thanks

I ride a small Sportster with a Velorex so I cant help much on the brake rake and damper scenario cause I have none. BUT Freedom Sidecars / Claude Stanley in PA is a little closer.

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

Thanks for all the help guys.

I agree lots of great help. I will pm you on the LL

I just sold my Vulcan 1500 with a Hannigan hack and ordered another Hannigan for my new ride. Because of my experience with the first one, the quick-disconnect brake, the steering damper, anti-sway bar and the electronic camber control were at the top of my list.

Yeah I am leaning that way too. Thanks