Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Never too old

Well my wife and I just finished a 700 mile trip to see a Frank Lloyd Wright house (Falling Water). Both 75 and still enjoying the open road! Also nice how many people talk to you, wave, give thumbs up, honk horns, etc.

Can't put stuff off at this age so you youngsters take heed!! 🙂 😉

Well I am one of those youngsters...not for nothing on my Ural is a sticker telling:
"It is never too late for to have a happy childhood!"

On, on. Ralph, go ahead.
The day we have to part, may God let it happen to do it with the boots on. Just like my father in law had the luck, (you are a youngster compared to my parents in law.)

In the end life continues in the same manner!
Best is to enjoy every moment meanwhile our time comes.
Sven

Ralph, I have know a number of people who are in the advanced age category, but were still way "younger" than some of the people who have not lived very long when measured by the calendar. Just enjoy the open road.

I'm 71 and still ride every day running errands, etc. Don't take as many long trips as I used to, but would if the opportunity arose. When I ride I feel more like 31 than 71.

I am 72, well closer to 73, missing one leg a bad knee on the other side. This put me riding a wheelchair but that wheelchair fits behind a rig and away we go.

All you young whippersnappers hush up. Avanell just turned 85 and still going strong,as some of you that have followed her Burgman,know. Seriously though,we do pretty good for a couple of octogenerans. We have attended all the nationals since we joined. Try to make as many sidecar functions as we can. Active in our CMA chapter, Texas Motorcycle Riders Assn.,Bikers for Bikers of Texas, Plan tto keep rinding until we get old.
J.R.
Sec.
Tex. rep

Last summer at the UMCI International rally in Cashmere, WA my friend rode in on his brand new Harley. Charlie Cripps was 90 years young then. That's optimism. I didn't ask if he's making payments. lol... He's still on two wheels as well. No sidecar.

Reardan Tom - 9/29/2015 2:52 PM

Last summer at the UMCI International rally in Cashmere, WA my friend rode in on his brand new Harley. Charlie Cripps was 90 years young then. That's optimism. I didn't ask if he's making payments. lol... He's still on two wheels as well. No sidecar.

Guess he makes us all youngsters!! 🙂 Gotta love that Charlie (but pretty soon he's gonna need a sidecar!) 🙂

I could wish I'll be in as good shape as Charlie is when I'm his age but considering that I'm not in that good a shape now (at 68) not sure there's a lot of hope. I can hope however that since I'm already riding with the third wheel to my right, that I have a pup that likes the sidecar ride as much as Archie did and Petey now does. If Petey is still riding with me then he'll be really, really old in both dog years and people years.

As I recall the average age of the participants at the Monumental Rally was somewhere around 69. I am 73. My wife is 74. My brother and able assistant at the Rally is 76 and his wife is older but I'm going to be safe and not guess. The oldest couple at the Rally were in their 80's and rode from Vermont or New Hampshire by way of Yellowstone and the Bear Tooth Pass. (They beat J.R. and Avanell for that catagory of riders.) Age is just a number. If you have a young attitude you are only limited by the infirmities of age. There are days when the weather changes that the knee that the horse rolled on or the foot that the large stump fell on remind me that I was foolish back then. The one ache I am currently dealing with hurts worse when I drive the Volvo than when I am on the rig. How is that for weirdness. All that said - don't let a number hold you back. There might be other things to deal with but birthdays don't make you quit. Just Sayin'

Same situation here - my hip hurts when I'm in the Volvo for an hour or so. Can ride the rig all day without a problem.

@71, soon sliding into 72, I am known to quote the Irish...."you're a long time dead so you best have something to talk about when you get to the gate" 🙂 Jump on and ride, build up a list of memories.

I like your attitude - Rob98801. We have memories from border to border and from coast to coast. Plus we have tried to make memories for kids

You guys make me feel like a whimp. At 71, I'm blessed to be able to still ride 2 Wheels. Have a sidecar on order and am looking forward to learning to ride with the rig. My wife of 50 yrs. also rides her own trike and has ridden in most of the states on the eastern seaboard. One of our biggest challenges is to find people of our age who share our interests in riding. Most just want to complain about their aches and pains, or tell us we're crazy, or tell us about the last bad motorcycle accident they heard about! We tend to ride with our local CMA group or just with each other. We're hoping to make a trip west to S Dakota next spring. So far we have only done somewhat local stuff. NC to Fla. or OH. You all have given me the determination to make that and other trips a reality.Ride safe and keep setting an example for this realative "newbie". to admire and follow!

I'm 77 and still riding daily. Have a Honda Helix now for 2 wheels but still use the 82Wing/Monaco rig. In fact I took the rig back to MN. from Mesa AZ where I now live last year. Bike turned 125000 miles on the trip , it's old but runs well !

Hi JR, I cannot believe Avanel is 85. I'm only 84 and my old head looks like it wore out at least 2 or 3 bodies. However, I'm still riding almost every day.

I'm starting to feel like a "youth" in this crowd ! 🙂

73 here and absolutely convinced my Ulysses is trying to kill me, which is why I am on this forum
Aside from museums have seen about 5 sidecars, touched about 3 and had my first ride about a month ago

Know nothing about sidecars and in the swamps of South Central New York there is nobody around to advise me

But, damn, the Ulysses is a fun ride, parting with it will be sad