Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Mystery Solved

I missed riding the rig to the 2015 Rally Because starter failed. I opted to ride my two wheels to Sturgis. Along came 2016. Again the Old Wing let me down. Something was slipping/skipping in the drive train. I was only 150 miles from home so I limped back, and missed the rally in Colorado.

Fast forward to today. I had managed to rebuild (reed clean up, grease, and check continuity) the starter motor last year, but it had failed again. The drive line problem turned out to be the drive shaft splines. I've found parts, and hope now to get it back together for what promises to be an early spring. ( I hope I haven't Jinxed it)

This rig has been a love/hate relationship. I love driving a rig. I hate the number of problems I've had with this bike. Perhaps now I can get some riding in. Wish me luck.

Look no splines.

Jim

Attached files

2014 CB1100 Std, 2000 ST1100 with DMC Classic, 1981 CB650C

Jim, glad you have not given up on taking a long trip with the rig. Perseverance will be rewarded.

Is not that far to Corning, NY for you, last weekend of July, this year's USCA Rally. Hope to see you there.

Up grade is definitely on the wish list. With so many great bikes and sidecars out there, I need to get over the "one of each" syndrome.
I also need to disconnect from the penchant of buying old bikes. I'm just stuck in the past, I guess.
so many of the modern bikes I am drawn to are more difficult to hack, probably requiring subframes.
jim

Jim,
My wife is the one who blames me for to "collect garbage".
Here is my solution, that really did a change in maintenance bills.
https://www.zweirad-doetsch.de/w650-w800/gespann/

I save actually....got already 2 brand new nowtimers made to old fashion design...2015, but still the 3rd wheel missing.
A shoehorn will definitely be needed.
Sven

Peter Pan,
I have been looking at a new rig. But then, I still have the CB650 that could take a light car for around the city. Decisions to be made.
By the way, I had the pleasure of visiting beautiful Costa Rica for a day last month. The ship stopped at Puneranas. from there we toured by bus to the San Miquel Stables to watch the Andalusian Horses perform. It was up the mountain on a high central plane. a bit of a ride from the coast.
I wish I had my bike there for a few weeks.
Jim

Hello Jim,
My CB650 would have done very well with a boat on its side. One of the longest lasting engines...as long you do fix ALL cylinder studs with Helicoil together and do not do a few and then again.
Mine I sold with 148.000km and was told that it continued until 210.000km. Smouth ride and comfortable. I regreted to sell it due to emigration. They are keepers! I'd add for town rig pushing oilcooler and fan.
Good idea to convert her into a rig.

In CR tourism is a melking machine, once I got very ashamend when we met our canadian lucky angels on their day off in CR. If you come here again give a call these guys and you can enjoy your own way scratching bends or gravel and mud.
http://wild-rider.com/
I'd love to give tips or even escape from my office.
In the area where I guess they took you to there are stretches where I counted 15-20 bend per km makes 24-32 bend per mile...up and down like on a roller coaster at a fair...good sport and impressive views.
Good luck.