USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

MYSTERY SOLVED BUT NEED MORE INFO>> Backyard find : What is this, trash or treasure?

Hi all

I found this in a backyard today at a garage sale. It wasn't for sale but I wound up buying it form the owner for $500. Sure it needs work but I think it will clean up nice. I don't think I can go wrong for the money.

I liked its cool retro look. The owner has had it for 25 years just sitting but said the previous owner told him it was off a Triumph.

Can anyone identify it?

Attached files

Wow. 60 views and no response. You might might have a rarity/oddity. No markings on the sidecar to help? it's a nice looking car though. The styling would work OK with either a vintage or modern style bike.

punkozuna - 7/3/2011 3:24 PM Wow. 60 views and no response. You might might have a rarity/oddity. No markings on the sidecar to help? it's a nice looking car though. The styling would work OK with either a vintage or modern style bike.

I was thinking the same thing....boy, you guys are actually stumped?

I won't have it in my possession until Tues night. I will pull it apart next week and look for a serial number or something I guess. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

definitely tresure ! i dont know the maker.but its a kool sidecar .

OK, so see pics below. It's a CYCLEMOTIVE. WHAT CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS????

I think they were a manufacturer from East Hampton, Connecticut? That's all I know

Attached files

A very interesting find!
From what I remember there was a gentleman from Connecticut who had a US patent on a flexing sidecar frame design. He called it the Center Flex, and his company was called Cylemotive. I first came in contact with him some time in 1976. He had heard that I was designing a flexy sidecar set up, and wanted to inform me that he held the patent at that time. I beleave he figured that any flexy sidecar designed was his because he held a patent at that time in history. He even sent me a copy of the patent with drawings. Thinking back it may have only been a utility patent for his specific design. I wasn't and didn't design, or build a flexy design. My Dad and uncles had flexy sidecars back in the late twenty's and thirty's, so I new the in's and out's of such a design. Getting back to your sidecar. If I remember correctly the body he used was from an American Eagle sidecar with the installation of that unattractive light placed on the hood. In 1976 he had built three units. By 1978 he may have built 6. In the picture note the number 78-106. I'm assuming that it was the 6TH unit built with the year date being 1978. Many products start with the number 101 as the first units built. All numbers under 100 would be prototypes. I've been manufacturing for over forty years and have designed and developed all kinds of different products. That's the way every company I've been involved with has done it. Cyclemotive seemed like a professional and I am assuming he followed that protocol.
In the late 70's and early 80's there was a sidecar rally every year in New England put on by a fellow from Maine. At one of the events there where three of us manufactures in attendance. A very nice group from Ohio, and the gentleman from Cylemotive. At the time I had already manufactured somewhere in the vicinity of four hundred sidecar units, so they where very interested in how I went about accomplishing this. I'm an Entrepreneur, and beleave in the free market place. So any information I had, I shared with them. We spent part of the day exchanging ideas and processes. Thinking back it was a great time. Around one hundred sidecars showed up for the rally. Over fifty being of my designs. My people took home the first three awards. It was a people choice vote. We had no influence on the voting.
How many Cyclemotive units where built only the manufacturer would know. He had an interesting design. I'm not sure if the frame you have pictures of was set up as a flex, or ridged.
The Cyclemotive sidecar should make an interesting setup. If anyone needs information on how to make mounts, or help with drawings of same for a ridged set up send me an email and I would be more than pleased to assist you.
Good luck, Johnny Sweet jsweet450@yahoo.com