USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

My new to me rig

So I have got the new car pretty well adjusted and other than a few minor adjustments here and there to fine tune it I really like the way it handles
SOOO it's time to paint it to match the bike. I removed the car yesterday and will be stripping it down over the next week and sanding it down
I hope to get to paint it within the next couple of weeks as we have a trip planned for the Thanksgiving weekend around Helen Ga.

how many of you have the aux. fuel tank and do you find it useful, mine came with a 3 gal tank and pump, I took it out and not sure about putting it back
I can see a noticeable loss in mileage but not sure it's worth it

I'm going to be color matching my new to me camper as well when I paint the car
I will post some pics during the process if there is any interest

here is what it looked like when I bought it
https://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=8477

97 1500 SE Motorvation II sidecar USCA # 8913 Double Dark Side # 1522 Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16 PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18

Even I look at pics.

how many of you have the aux. fuel tank and do you find it useful, mine came with a 3 gal tank and pump, I took it out and not sure about putting it back
I can see a noticeable loss in mileage but not sure it's worth it

AJ1200,
Looks like we both have similar rigs, mine is a white 1994 GL1500 with a Champion sidecar. The PO had a 3 gallon boat gas tank in the SC trunk. Removed it and installed a Summit Racing 5 gallon tank. So far am only getting 30 mpg, so the extra fuel is needed on long rides. If I cruise interstates at 70-75, that drops to 26mpg.

Also removed those stock halogen driving lights and installed LED 10 degree lights instead. Next up, is to replace stock headlights with HID's for safer night riding.

ccjon

Good point about the extra gass for the long part of the trips
I replaced my driving light bulbs with the LED as well,I just used the original housing, also the little strips under tem are LED strip lights. I also replaced the bottom corner lights with LED bulbs and wired them to a switch with the driving lights
I didn't want to go to the expence and added work of doing HID so I put crystal white 65W/55W headlights in and I will say they are plenty bright
stock bulbs are 55/45

97 1500 SE Motorvation II sidecar USCA # 8913 Double Dark Side # 1522 Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16 PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18

So after working on the car during lunch breaks for a week here is where I am so far, this is after I sanded all the pinstripes off and removed the 2 tone lines and all the nicks and dings I could find

Attached files

then I gave it's first coat of primer

Attached files

Not bad for"lunch breaks."

Here after known as the "Sidecar Diet"... Good job, keep the photos coming.

Tom Wells aka Reardan Tom

so the painting it white went well, I wish I could say the same for the pearl. it's been 20+ years since I have painted and my first time with pearl and 3 stage
first I made a bad call thinking the silver pearl would be deep enough to give me a 2 tone on the white, not really gonna happen. second I got a bit heavy handed and
got a few runs, tried to fix but just made it worse.

Attached files

I am so envious of you guys who are able to do this type of work. Personally, I think it's really looking good.