Skip to content
My first sidecar. D...

Notifications
Clear all

My first sidecar. Did I do ok on this CSC? Story time.

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@calvin-watson)
Topic starter

I THINK   I did good but know nothing about sidecars. Just need you guys to say great deal, or I got gigged,,,lol.

So a couple of weeks ago I got an early 80's CSC Partner sidecar off facebook for FREE!!   Turns out it was made for a Vespa scooter and just wasn't going to work on my Goldwing. I now really wanted something for my dog Wilton.

So I found what I thought was a great deal on a 95 CSC Friendship 1. Only problem was it was 5 hours away and I was broke. So I listed the free sidecar for enough to pay for, and go get the Friendship.  I sold it the first day for $1200. I knew a Vespa guy would love to have it. 

I made my deal and headed out on my 700 mile round trip. Ran into a snow storm once I got there. But we (me and Wilton) made it home just fine.

I paid $1000 for the sidecar. It came off a 1500 Goldwing, which is what I have. I got everything thing to mount it which is a plus. It has a tounoe cover, and electric tilt, but no brake.  He also gave me a nice cover for the sidecar,  and 100 pounds of ballast. Turns out it's lead ingots that was just laying behind the seat. I won't be using that. But scrap price is around $1.00 a pound if I decide to sell it. 

He's a dismantler and has lot's of bikes.  He gave me a correct color, complete trunk, and all the panels that had hole's in them for the sidecar. So I don't have to drill holes in mine. I actually need a new trunk lid as mine is damaged.

The sidecar has lot's of scratches and the fender took a bit of a hit. The color is a shade off , but the thing isn't hideous to look at.  It matches the condition of my bike,,,lol. My stuff isn't showroom.

Like I said. I paid $1000 for it, and $200 in gas. So I have $0 in it. Oh. I did have to buy my lunch.

I do have lots of questions like everyone does. So I'll be posting more about it.

Here's some pics and a video of introducing my dog to it,,, if you care to watch. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/hrzTtJBPClM

Posted : November 18, 2022 7:30 am
(@aceinsav)

I for one say you got a great deal. I see all the connecting rods; did you get all the mounting connectors that go on the bike as well. all that is prob a couple hundred and the tilt trim motor is another 700.00 . (I know I had to buy one for my FIII), then I had to fabricate my own mounting bracket for it because they are not available anymore. I wouldn't worry much about the color matching and minor damage for now. get it mounted, get out there and learn and enjoy it then dress it up. I would suggest you keep at least 50 to 75 lbs ballast in there while you're getting used to it, the car is heavy enough, but it can be quick to lift on you till you learn how to control it. also, I rode without brakes on my Formula II for 2 years with no issues so you should be fine there as well. 

Posted : November 18, 2022 8:38 am
(@calvin-watson)
Topic starter

Quote from AceinSav on November 18, 2022, 1:38 pm

I for one say you got a great deal. I see all the connecting rods; did you get all the mounting connectors that go on the bike as well. all that is prob a couple hundred and the tilt trim motor is another 700.00 . (I know I had to buy one for my FIII), then I had to fabricate my own mounting bracket for it because they are not available anymore. I wouldn't worry much about the color matching and minor damage for now. get it mounted, get out there and learn and enjoy it then dress it up. I would suggest you keep at least 50 to 75 lbs ballast in there while you're getting used to it, the car is heavy enough, but it can be quick to lift on you till you learn how to control it. also, I rode without brakes on my Formula II for 2 years with no issues so you should be fine there as well. 

Yup. I got everything off the bike except for the lean switch box. He had all the stuff took off for me before I got there. And took lots of pics. I kept asking him about the switch but he said he couldn't find one. When I got there I recognized the  switch box. But it was beat up, and I didn't think it was correct so I didn't take it,,,lol. Turns out it was CSC and I just ordered one from sidecarmark at floridasidecars. Oh well. It was only $15. I also ordered the Friendship 1 manual and the 1500 Goldwing specific install manual. Having to  buy this stuff really burns my butt. Now I got at least $50 of my own money in this thing,,,lol. Actually I feel very fortunate to be able to get this like I did.

Once I have it installed and riding right, can I just simply take out the 4 mounting bolt's and remove it?  Then put it back with out effecting my set up? I showed you how tight the space is in my garage. Seems like I might need it off there to work on the bike?

Posted : November 18, 2022 9:09 am
(@aceinsav)

in theory I would say that is correct but I have never tried that. I have a little more room than you and find I can do all my work on the bike with the car attached. you would need to be sure your wiring for the car is easy to disconnect. it's very important that you wire in twin relays with the switch for the motor or it won't work but one way. if he doesn't send you a copy of the wiring diagram post here, I think I still have mine, if not I can draw it up for you. I only see 3 mounting points, top right is the one for beside the radiator so top front mount, not sure how the other 2 hook up but like you said you have good pictures. just don't see a fourth, or is the big bracket used for 2 points of contact 

Posted : November 18, 2022 9:43 am
(@calvin-watson)
Topic starter

Speaking of ballast.

Did CSC ever put any lead in there for ballast? I wouldn't think so. In the pics below is what is supposed to be 100 pounds of lead ingots. I didn't weight it yet. But there was what I think is one of these ingots wedged behind the fender. It was shaped to fit in there. I couldn't stand thinking it didn't belong there so I took it out. I was worried it might vibrate down in there and crack the fiberglass. Unless of course it's supposed to be there.

It seems like it the same as the others in the milk crate? All these ingots were just laying loosely behind the seat. Now I'm worried about lead poising my dog. I gotta clean up the lead dust. Maybe I could put them in a sealed container and use them?  Would behind the seat be ok, or should some be up front?

This hunk of lead was to the right of the blue line.

Posted : November 18, 2022 9:47 am
(@calvin-watson)
Topic starter

Quote from AceinSav on November 18, 2022, 2:43 pm

in theory I would say that is correct but I have never tried that. I have a little more room than you and find I can do all my work on the bike with the car attached. you would need to be sure your wiring for the car is easy to disconnect. it's very important that you wire in twin relays with the switch for the motor or it won't work but one way. if he doesn't send you a copy of the wiring diagram post here, I think I still have mine, if not I can draw it up for you. I only see 3 mounting points, top right is the one for beside the radiator so top front mount, not sure how the other 2 hook up but like you said you have good pictures. just don't see a fourth, or is the big bracket used for 2 points of contact 

Correct. The big bracket has upper and lower mounting points.

I was just going to ask how to test the motor. It only has 2 wire's so it wasn't making sense to me. But now that you say it has relays involved that's different.

Can't remember which of the manuals I'm getting has it. But one of them said it has the wiring diagram. So I think I'll be good. But I'll ask if need be. Thanks.

Posted : November 18, 2022 10:02 am
(@aceinsav)

I don't think any sidecar manf. ever added any kind of ballast. I'm not a fan of lead as ballast for a couple reasons. a bag of concrete mix weighs right at 80 lbs, laid flat behind the seat it would stay still. you can put it in a large outdoor garbage bag to keep things clean. a lot of people use sandbags.  definitely don't put any weight up front, you want it as far back and to the outside of the car as possible. 

Posted : November 18, 2022 10:12 am
(@calvin-watson)
Topic starter

Oops. Wrong pic.

Posted : November 18, 2022 10:12 am