Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

MS Rally/Show

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Mike, I am not getting any responses on the Soviet Steeds website to this. I will be there on my Ural....and hope you have had better success than me after all the work you put into this event.

Mike, sounds like a lot of fun. I responded on other thread but got my answer here. Not on 3 wheels yet ,but , if schedules and irons in prior fires allow, I hope to drop in to visit and drool over the rigs. Thanks for your hard work and ride safe.

Bubblechaser - 3/9/2016 5:31 PM

Mike, sounds like a lot of fun. I responded on other thread but got my answer here. Not on 3 wheels yet ,but , if schedules and irons in prior fires allow, I hope to drop in to visit and drool over the rigs. Thanks for your hard work and ride safe.

Cary....I'll be crashing the event on 2 April...coming in from Alabama on my 2014 Ural Patrol. I told Mike I'd be happy to help wherever there is a need but I know coming in from out of state I'm limited to what I can do till I get there. That being said...and not knowing anything about the other rigs that will be there (other than Mike's rigs)....you should be able to check off your list riding a Ural and seeing how it handles if you haven't already done that...helps to have rigs in one spot to compare I would think. 🙂

MrMike said,"No attachment. Do not understand why we attach after posting the message."

I'd like to say its simple... but its not. You are actually making two posts to the same item. The first one is your text and the program handles that very well however it does not understand any sort of graphics. That's why you make a second post to the same item that understands ONLY graphics. Someday, we may be able to upgrade to a different messaging system but we have to make sure that we can take all of our history with us. There's lots of good information in the old items and it would be tragic to lose it.

UPDATE:

Was at the rally site today. Walked the ground for the road kill round up. The folks at MS Coast Harley are really going out of their way with this. Will go back tomorrow or Saturday and take all the road kill we have on hand to lay things out. Also will start working on the trophies.

Made direct contact with the riders from Christian Motorcycle Assn who will be involved. They will be there and will be blessing bikes. Had my Enfield rig blessed a year ago at the big Labor Day blowout they have here on the Coast each year and thought it was nice.

Talked with the state rep for the Combat Veterans Motorcycle Assn and they are going to try hard to have a contingency at the rally. I'm impressed with the organization and will probably join.

Still getting the hand off on the doughnut donations from the brand I want to use. Scheduled to talk to their area manager Monday. If no go, I'll go to another maker or even break down and buy them.

Momma's getting tired of me wondering off all the time. Baby Girl is getting tired of sitting in the truck when I get involved in all these detailed negotiations (or is that BS sessions?).

As they say: "Life is an adventure."

More later,
Mike in MS

Update

Spent half a day at the rally site. Roundup moved to large, open, flat, grassy field adjacent to Harley dealership. Walked it today. Much better ground with lots of open space for spectators. 🙂 For the show judging all rigs to be lined up in nice grassy area leading to store. Great visibility from a major four lane about a half mile off Interstate 10. Hauled the raffle loot I had on hand to the shop. Well over $500 in merchandise. Have more promised.

Spent rest of day between Billoxi and Mobile, AL. Contacted 8 dealers. One gave helmit and dew rag. Two have merchandise to be picked up next week. Harley Owner Groups in La, MS and AL to have folks at rally. Now if I can get a couple of sidecars (besides my two) here we just might have us a show.

we plan to be there, just have to get flood cleanup done.
Looking forward to seeing more sidecarist from the area.
I have been spreading the word about the meet to everyone I see.

kjunglide

As they say in the Army: HOOAH!

Hope your weren't hurt too bad by the flooding. Baby Girl and I had planned to spend a couple of days next week camping at Grand Isle. May not be such a great idea.
Looking forward to meeting you also. Let's try to get some networking going here. Would be great to visit with others close enough for a one day run.
Thanks much for spreading the word. If we all keep trying, this might be a really good event that could evolve into something even better.

Later
Mike in MS

I hate to show my ignorance...but what exactly is meant by the sidecar "monkey"? What is the "monkey" supposed to be?

jmunsey - 3/22/2016 10:29 AM

I hate to show my ignorance...but what exactly is meant by the sidecar "monkey"? What is the "monkey" supposed to be?

http://www.cyclecanadaweb.com/articles/17811/

jmunsey

I apologize. I was attempting to interject some humor into the discussion and did not intend to have fun at anyone else's expense. "Monkey" to my understanding is a slang term used to refer to the passenger in a sidecar. I do not know where the term originated but have heard and seen it in writing many times when communicating with other sidecar enthusiasts. I do not think there is any negative connotation connected to the term. I sometimes refer to my 14 year old daughter as my monkey.

Dana

Your attachment was very enlightening. Here, I must admit I was ignorant of many of the details in the article. Thanks.

Mike in MS

jmunsey

I apologize. I was attempting to interject some humor into the discussion and did not intend to have fun at anyone else's expense. "Monkey" to my understanding is a slang term used to refer to the passenger in a sidecar. I do not know where the term originated but have heard and seen it in writing many times when communicating with other sidecar enthusiasts. I do not think there is any negative connotation connected to the term. I sometimes refer to my 14 year old daughter as my monkey.

Dana

Your attachment was very enlightening. Here, I must admit I was ignorant of many of the details in the article. Thanks.

Mike in MS

Picked up items for the raffle from two more dealers today. At retail prices, this puts us at just over $1,000 in merchandise to be raffled off at the rally. If we could raise that much for the children's hospitals it would be great. Hope to get a lot of positive exposure from the event. Might even recruit a couple of new members. By the way, Will - I got the box of "Sidecarist" magazines and will have a table set up at the rally with mags, trifolds, etc. Unfortunately, don't think I will be able to man the table full time. Suspect there is going to be a lot of last minute coordination to be done.

:o:-(

Got my Yamaha/Velorex realigned nicely and it will be there. Cruised it at 65 today with no problems. Pushing hard to get the Enfield fender painted and the car pinstriped to match the bike by then. Think we just might have us a show......

😉

Mike in MS

Great!! I am glad that you have the Sidecarists to hand out. Don't worry about "manning" the table. You might find a volunteer to handle that for you. I am excited to see how things are coming together for you.

Will

looks like we are a go to be there Saturday...looking forward to a "local" sidecar get together.... hope you have a good turn out

Mike....not sure if the Ural throttle body mods will be done in time for me to ride it down so as of now I am beginning to think I will be riding in on two wheels. I hope that is ok....a good excuse for a 7.5 hour ride for me either way and I can still help out Saturday if I don't drown in the rain expected Friday night. 😉 Looking forward to meeting you.

Come on down! Need all the help I can get.

Mike, I am sorry, I had to make a weather decision given the storms moving through Alabama and Mississippi today and after last night I just was not up for long hours of riding in the rain. I am but going to make it down.

Understand. Got soaked unloading the rigs this PM. Hope to meet you later. Hope locals will show up. ??

Thanks mike for putting on this rally....my wife, brother and his girlfriend had a great time.....I was surprised to see as many sidecar rigs there, since I have only seen 2 other rigs in my area in the last few years,,,,the support from the Harley shop was great
....we really enjoyed the roadkill roundup and thanks to your wife for helping me out....hope you did well for your charity.......looking forward to the natchez trace ride, let me know what I can do to help

PreviousPage 2 of 2