Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

mounts for dogs in sidecar

Anyone have pictures of their mounts for their canine riders. I am not happy with my current mounts. They allow to much movement. I want her to be able to move around but still keep her in the sidecar. Currently there's a cable between the 2 rear mounts of the seat. A short lead attaches between the cable and her harness. She is a pup and likes to chase anything that moves. I have considered attaching to just one mount.

Can you show pics? Brand & type of car make it impossible to tell what you mean.

It is a velorex 562 sidecar on a r90/6. They are in storage at the moment, so no pictures yet. The cable is strung between the two rear mounts of the seat on the floor of the sidecar. Then the lead is snapped to the cable and feeds up between the seat bottom and the back of the seat. It allows Lucy to much movement to the right side. I want her to be able to curl up and sleep or sit up while restricting The movement to the right. I am worried about her trying to jump and then I'm dragging her.

I get it now. 🙂 I have a 562 as well. I'm going to put seatbelts in, presumably mounted to the same spots your cable is mounted.

So- your lead can slide between each side of the seat, but from behind. This is the problem, yes? Three quick ideas: 1) Mount the lead &/or cable to only one side, no sliding, or 2) pull the lead around the side of the seat to reduce play. You might need a longer lead depending on how that works. 3) put a clamp of some sort on the cable to prevent it from sliding past a certain point. Crosby clips work great, probably less than a minute install and less than a dollar in parts (I think...).

Do you have seat belts? I've seen &/or could make seat belt adapters to hook your dog lead into.

Does your Velorex have the cross beam up in the nose? I was thinking about attaching the leash to that so they could go into the nose but could only come back as far as I would run the leash.Of course I was also thinking to fabricate a cover of metal and screen to make it look like a WWII airplane canopy

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

I don't have any pictures readily available, but we've had pretty good service by mounting some type of clip, loop, circle or eye bolt to the floor of the sidecar and running a short tether/chain up from the floor, to which is connected a swivel snap of some sort to attach to the ring under the chest strap of the dog's harness. A swivel on one, or both, ends is important to prevent twisting of the tether/chain. When adjusted correctly, this arrangement keeps their chest/center of mass inside the confines of the sidecar. Generally the seat is removed, but smaller dogs can often ride with the seat in place.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

I'll have to look when I can get close to it. That could be another option.

Be careful about mounting it to the floor. It'll pull out of fiberglass pretty easily, make sure to mount it to the frame. 🙂