Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Mounting spots on a 1974 BMW

I picked up a Velorex side car that came off a 1974 R90/6 BMW and as it happens that is the bike I wanted to mount it to. It came with all the attachments and hardware but I am concerned that in all the setup pictures I see on the internet that the top two attachment struts always seem to form a V for structure so no matter if you are taking off or stopping that there is a supporting angular structure taking place.

My rear upper support actually goes forward and attached right behind the gas tank and in front of the seat because that is where the biggest frame or structure is. There does not seem to be much frame behind that point up high to attach to.

I am sure this will work but some of the time I will be stopping and the car will be pulling the rig forward and there will be no angular structure.

Any thoughts or concerns ?

The Velorex stock mounts seldom work well. It is always best to avoid a lot of "universal" type mounts. In general "universal" means it fits nothing universally. The BMW frame tubing is quite thin walled and as such the Velorex frame clamps are known to cause damage to these frames. A better way to go is with a proper bike specific NOT universal type mount. We make such a mount. It is a two part sub frame where the front sub frame attaches to the right side of the bike and gives you the two front mounting points. The rear sub frame attaches near the upper shock mount on the right side of the bike, follows the seat frame down, attaches near the swing arm pivots then goes under the bike and attaches to the left side of the bike. This is much stronger and moves the mounts further apart then you other wise would be able to. $775 provided with 4 eye bolts to use the stock Velorex attachment hardware. While you could use on the sidecar side all of the standard Velorex hardware a much better way to go for the lower mounts as the lower rear on the Velorex sucks and will slip and as their mounts do not provide a proper way to set wheel lead is to convert over to bosses and clamps like is shown at this article http://www.dmcsidecars.com/the-result-of-improper-sidecar-mounting-and-the-proper-fix/ The parts to do this run $365
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30