Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Mounting Sidecar on Triumph Rocket

Page 1 of 2Next

Does anyone have a sidecar attached to a Triumph Rocket 3? I am having difficulty working out how/where to attach the rear upper mounting point to the bike. Any input would be helpful. Also if anyone knows where I can buy a proper mounting kit for the bike, I would appreciate it. I am planning/trying to mount a Champion Daytona sidecar.

We make mounting kits for the Rocket 3, we also make triple tree's to lower the steering effort however right now the only rocket 3 tree's we have in stock are for the tour not the standard rocket 3. Lead time on mounts is about 3-4 week right now, triple tree's 6-8 weeks.
Do you already have the sidecar?
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Hi, I took these pictures of a nice Rocket Three outfit at a rally last year unfortunately neither show the fittings.

Sid

Attached files

Sidcar, thank you. Nice looking rig. It was helpful as it shows how the bottom fitting goes round to tie in on the non-sidecar side of the bike.

Not to get too far off topic...
But could anyone please identify the fairing on that R3?
TIA

The rally takes place again next month if the outfit is there I'll find out for you.

Sid

To answer the original question we drill a 1/2" hole through the 'gusset' at the rear seat side in front of the upper shock mount.and install a eyenut there. LBS does the same thing. You must be carefull to get the hole positioned right as there are cast in stiffeners on the back side and the outside surface is not totally flat.

The upper front can be a threaded eyenut on the motor mount bolt if you take it out and turn it around. We put a pinch block on the eyenut and run a tube from it to the lower mount on the subframe. Not a bad idea to do the same in the rear to tie everything together.

Claude,
Thank you for your guidance. Our spring tour often goes through Pennsylvania. Next time we will drop in and see you.
Cheers.
Chris. H.

I ran across this one a few years back at the AHRMA races at Miller in Utah. A bit of under kill on the sidecar and I did not get a real good shot of the mounting. I think I was more interested in getting the Cozy emblem just to prove that someone would put a Cozy on a Rocket Three.

Wonder if the guy in the pix was the pilot, or the monkey. If he was the monkey the bike to car weight ratio would be about right.

He was the driver, the monkey was a very small dog.

Scary rig!

I don't know if you still need this but here's a close of the fittings on that Rocket3.

Sid

Attached files

Wonder who mounted that Cozy? We have turned away jobs that were less scary than that. BTW... We did a Champion a while back on a rocket , one of ours on one and also the LBS mentioned ealier. We are mounting an early Hannigan Astro on our own Rocket now. This is temporary as we will be putting one of our own sidecars on it at some point. Excellent sidecar haulers! They do beg for steering modifications though.

That guy rides that rig all over the place like that Claude and he said it handles fine. He is crazier than I am.

DirtyDR - 5/26/2015 10:43 AM

That guy rides that rig all over the place like that Claude and he said it handles fine. He is crazier than I am.

That's all fine and well until he needs to make a quick evasive maneuver or whatever. Of course maybe there is added weight and maybe the mounts are reinforced and so forth. With modification I could see this being okay but many times we see pictures on th enet that give an impression that is not a good on. They say a picture is worth a thousand words but the words that are birthed by the picture may or may not be accurate. Bottom line: Sidecar mus tbe suitable for th ebike as wel as mounts and suspension and all that goes along with it. Cozy on Rocket 3
In stock form...no way.

pago cruiser - 3/28/2015 2:19 PM

Not to get too far off topic...
But could anyone please identify the fairing on that R3?
TIA

looks like its off a triumph sprint

A belated thank you to both DirtyDR and Sidcar for the photos. Because of the issues with the kit supplied I ran out of time last winter to attach the sidecar so this is now a 2015/2016 winter project.

DirtyDR - 5/26/2015 10:43 AM

Not only is he crazy, he's also riding on borrowed time. Hooking a Cozy to a Rocket III is like towing a 30' camper trailer with a Smart Car; it is completely the wrong vehicle for the job.

Page 1 of 2Next