Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Motorvations Formula II Hood

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Although I have no direct experience with a steering damper I'm told that it could make it harder to steer. Anyway, I did not need a damper. Yes I like my Heritage as a sidecar bike. I put solid Harley Fat Boy wheels on it when I put the new tires on this spring, because they're a tubeless tire and you can fix a flat on the road (if you have a tire repair kit) and you don't need to keep checking for loose spokes. I bought both wheels off of Craigslist for $300 (they're over $600 per wheel in the Harley catalogue)and they're a direct fit depending on the year of your bike.

Barbara, the need for modified trees isn't limited to any sidecar. it is a very good investment for ANY sidecar or trike

I installed 4.5 on my Wing with the the sidecar and I'm pretty sure it is a 4.5 that is on the trike I just bought my wife

Tires and head bearing tightness are the biggest causes of head shake, mine with a new front tire won't shake at all but as the tire wears and begins to cup ( and this is a given) it will begin to shake, as the cupping gets worse so does the shake. you have 3 options to control it

1 tighten steer head bearings a little more than stock specs,,,, this works very well, but the tire will still cup 

2 add a steering damper,,, this will make your turning harder, and the tire still cups

3 keep your tire cupping ground down,,, works great, stops the vibration caused from the tire cupping, but is a pain to do 

this is all based on Goldwings as I have no experience with any other bikes, but I'm pretty sure the front tire cupping goes with all sidecars to some extent 

USCA # 8913

Hi Barbara:  We have no direct experience with a Softtail, but our Sportster rig also did not require a damper after installing Hawg Halter triple trees, which not only eased steering effort, but also eliminated much of the handle bar wobble, particularly when riding a bumpy road.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Thanks again for the input. I'm going to start with the triple trees and see where we go from there.

Deleted user has reacted to this post.
Deleted user

Have a 82 FLTC stock tree's, I can pull 25k + out of the stock front tire and no cupping. Each bike is different.  

Quote from 2FLTC on September 16, 2020, 8:42 am

Have a 82 FLTC stock tree's, I can pull 25k + out of the stock front tire and no cupping. Each bike is different.  

sure wish I could say that. I think headshake and front tires cupping is just a Goldwing thing. all 3 Wings I have had have done it, even when riding on 2 wheels 

USCA # 8913

This was a helpful thread to discover as I begin my SC journey. I'll start a fresh thread, and YES Barb's rig is "suuuweet"

PreviousPage 2 of 2