Notifications
Clear all

Motorvation formula II side car with trim adjuster

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jeffrey-withrow)
Topic starter

Saw a used one of these and it looks interesting with the trim adjuster (sort of a drive shift with a pipe that extends out and in) which I believe tilts the motorcycle based on weight in sidecar then the bike does not drift to the right…if I understand that right.  The rider flips a switch to extend it in and out to tilt to degree desired.

I realize the manufacturer is out of business though it does seem like a nice rig, more so with that trim adjuster.  Don’t know what would be a good/best bike to connect it to.  Will be talking to a bike shop that does installs sidecars to discuss cost to do that step.  I have an old 05 bmw r1200rt and a newer 19 goldwing tour dct with airbag.  Though I am worried with these ‘newer’ bikes a lot of plastic body work will need to be removed.  

Not my first choice though considering purchasing a used bike that has more of an exposed frame to connect the rig to.  Open to suggestions on that point 🙂
Do though figure a water cooled bike is the way to go.  Seems yahama royal star venture touring bike v4 are too expensive presently.  Slight chance the prior gen goldwing could work or a k1200LT or such bike.  I also have a 2012 honda nc700x manual clutch and a 09 aprilia mana GT automatic.

My only experience prior with a sidecar was a Kozi connected to a 2012 royal enfield EFT 500cc single bullet.  Both small though it was a fun rig…just very slow.

Ride safe all and stay safe.

Posted : October 2, 2021 2:41 pm
(@smitty901)

Welcome. Assume nothing when it comes to sidecars and mounting.  Ask questions read and study.  Often more that one answer depending on many things. Listen to those in the they say crowd can send you down a dark path.

What you called a trim adjuster is likely a ECC (electric camber control).  In the past they had manual ones also.

Good luck with you quest. Sidecars can be great when done right and you know what you are getting into and why.

Just for reference. 2020 GW with sidecar as you can see no problem with mounting.  They have been hanging sidecars on GW's a long time.

And just about anything else

Posted : October 3, 2021 3:38 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

Welcome, Jeffrey!

I’m not nearly as experienced in the dark art of sidecar operation and build as many here, I can speak to some of your questions. I purchased a Royal Stat Tour Deluxe with Hannigan Astro car at the National Rally this summer.  It is a beast for pulling a big car like the Hannigan.  That said, we had been planning to purchase a different rig from Dave and Billie in Idaho that is very similar, but with a Champion car, until fate intervened. 

I find the trim adjuster is most useful on roads that are crowned or whose camber is off.  It allows you to raise the car if needed.  Since I don’t have a lot of miles on many roads yet, I find I leave it in the lowest setting and the rig is happy.

Your suggestion of finding a Royal Star (any of them will do, though I prefer the V4 over twin) is a good one.  Honda Valkyrie is a good choice assuming you don’t want a Goldwing.  Vulcan 1500/1600 and Suzuki Boulevard 90 both also are capable, though far more rare as assembled rigs.

Smitty gave good advice - do your homework and don’t pull the trigger on the first rig you see (unless it gives a great vibe).  If the seller doesn’t sound like they know and love HACKS, be VERY CAREFUL.  Many rigs are assembled by “hacks” who don’t know what they are doing, which explains why they get put up for sale with so few miles.  

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : October 3, 2021 4:27 am
(@smitty901)

The ECC (electric camber control) is not cheap. But is a worthwhile option if you plan to ride. If you expect to log a lot of miles look for a rig with car tire on the sidecar. It will save you a lot of cash over time.

Consider who will be getting in and out of the sidecar.  Some may desire one with a side door or a flip up top. Disk brake that taps into the bikes brakes should be high on your list. The larger and heavier the car the more important front end work will be.

As a guide. I knew We would be getting another sidecar Rig. From the idea to first ride with it was 1 year.  This was it. 40,000 miles wonderful miles. Part of the time was the build . Two trips to Hannigan while we were on other rides to compare two sidecars it was narrowed down to. Deciding to do the front end rake. And going with all the options.

The car was repainted and mounted on a new bike in March 2021 . Now has 11,000 miles. As is is now. Clarksville TN last week.

Posted : October 3, 2021 6:09 am
(@aceinsav)

I had an F2 for many years and we loved it. it is a solid car and I felt the frame was good, never felt there was any flexing 

regardless to the kind of bike you decide to mount a car on you will need the proper mounting hardware specific to the bike

mine was on a Goldwing 1500 and other than having to cut a couple holes it didn't require removing much plastics to get it mounted. the easy steer is very nice as well. 

Good luck and keep asking questions, so how much are they asking for the F2 in the picture 

Posted : October 3, 2021 11:54 pm
(@jaydmc)

Many people will install the sidecar on their own, For about 1/2 the bikes you list  we do make proper bike specific mounts. For your RT we also make steering modifications ($650) and an automotive rear wheel conversion $895

Jay G
DMC sidecars

www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Posted : October 4, 2021 4:15 am
(@jeffrey-withrow)
Topic starter

Thank you all for the welcome and your insights, very much appreciated.  Here is a link to how the F2 functions and a few photos of the frame build the owner did.  Going to chat with a shop that puts sidecars on bikes in just a bit to see what they say and determine cost.  I do recall, now, having send that current gen goldwing with that Hannigan sidecar, it was so cool (at honda wingding42).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/72XxVaMqSANVxAjV8

Posted : October 4, 2021 5:33 am
(@jeffrey-withrow)
Topic starter

Dam…all the bikes I own are too new lol.  My 09 Aprilia Mana GT (automatic) does not have a frame tube that goes around the engine (unlike say a harley electric glide).  My 05 bmw r1200rt likewise.  That leaves, maybe, my 2019 goldwing tour dct though even then it might require a lot of work to connect this sidecar to it.  I do have a 2012 honda nc700x, called my gutless wonder (I like the bike, it does everything ok just not great) though even if that has a frame that would allow me to connect the hack frame arms I feel it would be under powered to handle a 250lb sidecar (could be wrong on this point).

The guys that is selling me the sidecar has it connected to a 2003 electric glide full dresser (might have that name wrong).  Bummer for sure as the last then I need in life, realistically, is yet another motorcycle.  Plus, maybe wrong to say, not 100% I would want to limit my 19 goldwing to being connected to a sidecar all the time nor the work to disconnect it if wanted for some bike only riding with the wing.

Guess I need to search more on FB marketplace and such places for a bike with old fashion full circle frames.  The bike shop guy likewise is going to look for me.  I would prefer a red color bike to go with this sidecar coloring.  That plus maybe fuel injection (not a deal breaker), water cooling (helpful in florida), probably shaft drive.  Not required to have a fairing nor radio since I feel I will mostly ride it around town and not out of State though both of those features are nice if an option.  Else just a windscreen would do.

Guess lesson learned is…the hack can be nice but if you don’t have the right bike to connect it to it will cost you in the end 🙁

Btw, did I mention I want the bike I buy for this hack to be cheap (aka a great deal, yet a good bike) so figure I have to look at older year bikes for certain.  Yes I know, we all want to get a good bike at a killer price 🙂

This sidecar will cost $2,000 which I feel, could be wrong, is a really good price.  Thus if I need to spend some money for a bike to connect it too then maybe it will all workout in the end.  Guess the world of sidecars can be that way sometimes unless you have the means to walk in and buy one already setup with a bike.
I live in tampabay Fl if anyone knows of a good deal on a bike that would work.
Thanks and ride safe and be safe everyone.

Posted : October 5, 2021 1:24 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

Here’s your huckleberry:

https://sidecar.com/forum/topic/1999-yamaha-venture-w-motorvation-sidecar/#postid-83348

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : October 7, 2021 12:06 pm
(@jeffrey-withrow)
Topic starter

Wow, just wow.  That is one mighty fine rig and tricked out to the hilt 🙂
A bit out of my price range for a, at times, ride though but probably worth it to one that wants it all.  

At a Barber event in Alabama this weekend. At the dinner table were several others and the one guy reminded/informed me that my old 1965 r60/2 (blew a position rig and now have to have the heads bored out) would work well for that sidecar I was looking at.  He even felt that little 600cc /2 engine would have enough power, well that plus doing a 6volt to 12 volt conversion.  Hum, my old memory did not recall that little engine as having much power so maybe it was engine torque he meant or both…
Mine has the Earls Fork front in so figure that would be a good thing.

He and another guy race old vintage side cars, up to 126mpg…hoping to see them today.  One rider and one sidecar dummy (just kidding) person.  What a hoot!

I do also have a r69s engine though no idea if it is works as yet.  Heck, I still need to get off my butt and try to locate the carbs for that old /2.  Lord willing they are in a box somewhere.  Will have to ponder a bit today to figure out came plan.

Could be fun, though down side is though I can do basic bmw things, the rebuild on the /2 600c engine is for certain a shop job.  Then again, a member of the bmw airheads and for certain my /2 is a airhead lol.

Posted : October 9, 2021 4:11 am