Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Motorvation Formula II - seized torsion bar

I am disgusted, disappointed, and almost despondent. The torsion bar / swing-arm on the Formula II I own is seized because the previous owner never greased the assembly. I have removed the sidecar body from the frame and disassembled the suspension/electric lean from the frame as well. Does anyone have any experience with this problem or any advice as to how and what I can do to free the frozen torsion bar?

Did you first contact Motorvation? Maybe start there or contact Jay at DMC as he is usually helpful for those who ask for help.

if it just recently seized up then stand it on it's side and saturate it with penetrating oil, do this over and over making sure it's getting into the tube and let it sit overnight. then using a good size hammer try hitting it on it's end, you just want it to move a little, then try to turn it, it may take doing this a lot before it finally lets go enough to remove the rod. if you have access to a torch heating the entire tube can help by softening the grease inside

USCA # 8913

I have been in contact with Motorvation. Unfortunately, I believe it has been seized for quite a while... I will try the heat and hammer persuasion, my concern is that hammering will damage the spline end of the bar, but that's the only place to hammer.

Thank you for the advice and ideas on how to proceed.

I've not had that happen to me. I have had the tube containing the tortion bar break loose from the frame, but I think that happened when I hit a tree limb lying across the road during a thunderstorm at night and launched the bike and sidecar into flight. I think I partially stripped the splines on the tortion bar in the same incident, it finished the job on a left-hand turn in South Dakota the following year. Ace's advice sounds pretty good. It usually works on stuck engine pistons.

use a large bolt or brass drift or large piece of hard wood like a 4X4 to prevent damage to the splines. if you do damage them a little don't fret, there is room to grind off the damage and still have enough to work with
if you have splines on both ends it is the newer style and I would try to save it, if it is a welded square on the wheel side I would just hammer away untill it comes out and then let Motorvation replace it with the new spline shaft once it's out
I had mine break on me and Motorvation did a great job repairing it for me.
if you have heat try to add grease and then heat it, you want the grease to liquify as much as possible
if it's been seized a while penetrating oil is going to be your best bet, lots of it

USCA # 8913

Kroil is a n EXCELLENT penetrating oil, better than anything i ever used!