Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Motorvation Formula II open access

Hello all, new guy here ,new to sidecars. fell into a hell of a deal for an 89 GL1500 with a Motorvation Formula II sidecar ( traded straight up for my 97 Magna). It has all the options except the easy access or tilt forward. Anybody know someone who does fiberglass work who could convert it for me?? My wife has some weakness issues and we still want to ride together and the sidecar is awesome just looking for easier access for her. I am northwest of Dayton Ohio and am going to try to find some boat builders who may do it. Thanks

Welcome to the slightly off-centered world of sidecars, RNMedic!

You are not alone with the issue of having a riding partner who loves the ride, but has problems with tub entry and exit. I've entertained the idea of converting my fiberglass tub into a tip-nose too. I by no means have enough talent to go at my tub with a saw and think it will come out as anything other than junk. So I'll be interested in hearing your experience if you do indeed find someone to tip-nose your rig.

At the moment, I'm taking a different approach. All my wife really needs is help getting up to where her legs can get some bite and she can scoot herself onto the top of the trunk. Her arms aren't quite strong enough to do it on her own. So I'm tinkering with a spring loaded scissor lift to provide the needed extra thrust. Maybe this is something you might want to try before laying out the $$ to mod your tub?

The lift seat is basically a platform jack for motorcycles. I removed the main worm screw so that the scissor is free-wheeling. To add the thrust, I'm using porch swing springs under the seat. As I said, I'm tinkering with it. I need to store just enough potential energy in the springs to help her out without the added energy of a pot hole turning the thing into 007's ejector seat! Maybe a catch lever at the bottom of travel to lock it down, or a damper. I might even put the screw back in with a bi-directional electric motor so that it's a power lift seat.

Anyway, Thanks for joining and thanks for letting me ramble.

Attached files

welcome aboard
RN I think you have the Formula I if it doesn't have the flip open nose. the F II is the same car but with the flip open nose.
I think you would be looking at some major work to turn the FI into a flip nose, I just walked out and looked at mine
you can't just split it and hinge the front, the front top section has to overlap the bottom to allow it to hinge open properly
also you need a tube glassed into both halves for the top to sit on the bottom when closed. I can only speak for me but if it were me and I wanted or needed a flip nose
I would look for a good used tub and just switch it out then sell the one I have. the tub unbolts from the frame with either 6 or 8 bolts

post some pictures of your new rig, remember without pictures It didn't happen 🙂

USCA # 8913

On the flatbed. Was 10 degree when we got it and the bike I traded for it

Attached files

oldschool
I like your idea for a lift. how much force are the springs creating as it is now. do they add any relief when raising up
I think your on to something

USCA # 8913

nice looking rig
Yep that is an FI
I really like that wheel
does it have it's own radio, I see an antenna there

USCA # 8913

Nice looking rig Medic! And I bet it was hard letting go of that Magna too. Sharp looking machines!

AJ - With all four springs, it stores enough energy that my double-wide azz can hold it down, yet it will toss me off if I rise up carelessly. I'll have to take off a spring or two for the Mrs. of course! On rise, the first few inches are less energetic than the last several. I'm sure that's due to the geometry of the scissor. I'm leaning toward the electric motor (you can see the limit switches I've been playing with) mainly because I don't want to have to add/remove springs for different riders. That and the fact that the seat height could be safely adjusted. I'm not planning for it to be a permanent fixture, rather, easily removed with a few wing nuts and bolts.

Oh and Medic, my apologies for kinda hijacking your thread!

I believe that Hannigan offers an electric seat, maybe DMC has one as well. I haven't seen one but I believe that your thoughts about using an electric motor are spot on. Using a couple of the springs in combination with a motor would probably work better. The motor out of a battery powered electric drill with a reduction gear should do the trick or maybe a starter motor or a convertible top motor would be better.

The magna was tough to let go of. My son gave to me and I got back into riding after a long hiatus. But when he saw the rig he said go for it!

No on its own radio. Has its own TV and vhs player and optima battery and the optional gas tank

The fellow that I got my formula 2 from purchased the flip nose body by itself from Motorvation. They may be able to do that for you as well.

Attached files

after talking with Motorvation I get the impression they will only sell the complete sidecar, but that may be an option later.

your going to be glad you have that second fuel tank if you do any distance riding. mine had a 4 gallon tank but it was full of rust and vanish. I tried to clean it but it was a lost cause
I replaced it with a 6 gallon tank
the way to tell if your steering has been modified is to look at the bottom rear of the front tire fender, if the gap is about 3 inches or more it's been done
I have 4.5 deg. kit and my gap is 3"

USCA # 8913

We have done many seat lifts over the years, we no longer offer them unless you are buying a sidecar from us as changes usually are needed to the basic body in order to incorporate the lift with out it looking bad. One thing we have used in the past that works well and is priced reasonable is a seat lift designed for use in a bath tub. Every thing is there, self contained, water proof, all you need do is modify it to take the sidecar seat. You could also check with Motovation and see if they will sell you a bar flip nose body or you could also try this sidecar for a while, while looking for a different sidecar or a used flip nose, change them out and sell what is left over. We find more often then not a tilt nose sidecar is not the best answer. A sidecar with a cut down side or a door in it with a step is often much easier to live with as usually these type of sidecars have a higher seating position and as such your feet are more under you then laid out forward.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

The seat lift is an option that I do not believe will work. The open access is what I am looking at. I am meeting with a body shop to see what they say.

jaydmc - 1/26/2017 10:22 AM We find more often then not a tilt nose sidecar is not the best answer. A sidecar with a cut down side or a door in it with a step is often much easier to live with as usually these type of sidecars have a higher seating position and as such your feet are more under you then laid out forward.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

we actually looked at the Urals first and the door/step may be a option. this one was just too good of a deal to pass up.

I don't think the door idea will work with our cars, the windshield placement would be an issue more than anything. but I suppose you could have that redesigned to work
I am curious to hear what the body shop has to say

USCA # 8913

after looking at the car I agree and may have to go with a purchase in the future, I'll keep you updated.

after much research and some images of the hinge system on the motorvation and the expense at a body shop we will ride as is and look for a easy access when the budget allows.

the good news is that now that your rig is set up you can look into just replacing the car body.

USCA # 8913