USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

motorvation form II

I could have used a regular car battery, but I figured the deep cycle battery was made for lots of discharges and subsequent charging so it would last longer than a regular car battery. I may be wrong but it works good for me. And it's heavier and even more likely to hold the sidecar down in right turns. And also, if I ran the rig into a lake, I could just connect the handy trolling motor and drive back to shore. It's easier than using a paddle.

BTW.... I installed the new battery several months after I fixed the actuator.
rocker
The old switch was originally installed near the horn button, which is probably the most handy place for it. But the new rocker switch is an "on/off...off...on/off" type that will not stay "on" when you release it. It is spring loaded so there is no chance of it staying on and ruining the linear actuator motor (which happened to me.) I mounted the new one on the left hard bag because the switch was too big for any space I had on the handlebar. I can reach it easily.

You will probably find that you will not use the actuator all the time. You'll set it for what ever crown of the road you are driving on.... then leave it alone. It's the same for wind direction. Set it and leave it alone, until the wind or road changes.

I just posted some of my photos in the Albums section for everyone's viewing pleasure.

yeah I went with a spring loaded on/off switch as well. I was going to put a car battery in my car but I think instead I will put an exact match of the bikes battery in there. I will be installing a gas tank to replace the one that it came with so I won't have room for a big battery. the car came with a 3 or 4 gal tank, I am going to replace it with either a 6 or 8 gal.

97 1500 SE Motorvation II sidecar USCA # 8913 Double Dark Side # 1522 Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16 PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18

Hi Ace:
I have seen Motorvation sidecars with a gas tank under the sidecar. The tank is enclosed in the frame and is quite thin top to bottom. I don't know about the capacity. I would have to look at my literature. It is a factory job and doesn't take up room in the luggage area. We use that area for luggage when we travel.
Give Mary Sontag a call at Sibley and maybe they still do the "under the fame" tank.

I think you have some great ideas, Ace. I carry a 2 gallon can in the car, but I've been in situations where the tank was about empty and wondering if I'd make it to a gas station if I had to use the spare gas. But never had to do that. You might consider that gasoline weighs about 6.5 pounds if that would be an issue. But from the looks of your beautiful bike, I don't think that would be a problem. My best to you and your efforts.

BTW.. if you can take some photos of how your spare gas tank looks, I'd sure like to see them.

I think I'm going to give 1 good effort to clean out the gas tank that came with the sidecar before I toss it and buy a new one. I'm going to use carb cleaner and some kind of medium like small washers or marbles to act as a scrubber inside the tank. I looked at it again and I think it's just sludge in there and not rust.
I'll take some pics of it this weekend when I put the cleaner in it.

97 1500 SE Motorvation II sidecar USCA # 8913 Double Dark Side # 1522 Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16 PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18

You might want to consider taking your tank to a professional shop. I used "Tank Renew" to do the tank on my wife's little Honda C70. They did a great job at a reasonable price.

caddypat - 10/2/2014 5:31 PM

hi,i have a formula II mounted to a kaw 1300 voyager . works fine. i think the kawasaki 1300 six cyl. is the heaviest bike on the planet.

I had a 1300, also, with a way too light sidecar on it, but man, what power, and downright scary on right turns without a monkey. I now have the big kawi 2000CC with a California sidecar, really good match, been on many long trips with it.

so I decided to bring the tank to work today, I used a grinder and carefully cut the weld away around one edge to open it up
it was a mess inside but a little elbo grease and parts cleaner and it cleaned right up
biscuitsNgravy, here are a couple pics of the tank
I measured it today as I didn't know how much it would hold. turns out it is a 4 gal. tank so I am very pleased
just need to weld it back closed and prime it and put the carpet cover back on
I'll take some more pictures once I get it mounted back in the car

Attached files

Wow, Ace!! Great photos! With you taking the initiative to put that 4 gal. tank back in service, you won't regret it. Thanks again for the photos. BnG

well it looks like I spoke too soon, getting the old tank open and cleaned out went well,,,,,,,,,,,,, however getting it to weld back was another story
it looks as though all those years took it's toll. we tried and tried to get a good clean weld to seam it back together but no matter how good it looked we could not seal it
we kept getting leaks from under the weld. must just be we couldn't get it clean deep down in the metal and it just won't bond back together properly
SO it will hit the scrap metal bin and I will move a different direction