USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

more than my half of the road

Hello my first post, I would like to say this is a great place I have been larking hear for a couple of years and have learned a lot. I got my first rig this past spring an 1800 Goldwing with a Hannigan GTL car put together by CSM. I have put 15,000 + miles on it and feel stable and steady on it however when on slower two lane roads about 30% or more of oncoming traffic give me more than my half of the road (some to the point of running off the road) this includes commercial drivers and even state police. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?Surprised

I am thinking that it is not that unusual when people see something "unusual" (literally something that they do not usually see--not that sidecars are unusual like weird) that they wind up moving over more because they are looking at us more (and thus thinking more about leaving room than if they are just blowing past another Camry or F150... just a theory...

Some pull over to the edge of the road but never off the road.

Just another theory here, but because the Wing/GTL is such a large presence on the road the average cager probably thinks you are a motorcycle trying to pass a small car in the same lane, so they move over to give room.

Gummiente - 1/8/2014 8:30 AM
Just another theory here, but because the Wing/GTL is such a large presence on the road the average cager probably thinks you are a motorcycle trying to pass a small car in the same lane, so they move over to give room.

You may be on the something Gummi. I've occasionally noticed a similar reaction to our larger/wider GS/CSM rig, especially with tall convertible top installed and using the LED running lights. The taller/wider rigs with lights do present an unusual scenario for oncoming drivers.

Lee Summer Grove, LA R1100GS/CSM Sidecar, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L

Gummiente - 1/8/2014 8:30 AM Just another theory here, but because the Wing/GTL is such a large presence on the road the average cager probably thinks you are a motorcycle trying to pass a small car in the same lane, so they move over to give room.

That may be what is happening especially in my case because the sidecar light gives off a blue cast & the Honda headlights are more yellow. the last police car that I met ran two wheels off the pavement at a very rough spot, I was sure that he would turnaround and pull me over for something but he didn't.

I worry about the theory of being something unusual it could cause target fixation i.e. you tend to drive where you are looking.

I have seen the same, but more concerning were the occasions that people were staring at us/me and pointed right into our lane...
a Camper van nearly flipped over us in Canada and a Lady in Anchorage caused me to make an evasion swave that broke 3 spokes....
Other stories since 1986 may fill books.
So as You are a strange sight to many, be aware of any stupidity.
Pluss that you need to include extra time in your plans for police officers who pull you over only for to have a closer view to the rig, and that on gas stations and parking lots always will be someone to ask you about this strange vehicle.

You should have seen the smile of the 2 cops yesterday when I brought home my Patrol from the customs storage...
from ear to ear.
Somebody here on the forum called it the "Ural delay factor"
I can confirm that the delay factor is not brand specific.
neither the effect.
MORE SMILES PER MILE.

Simply rig pushing is highly addictive.
Sven 😉 😉 😉

Peter Pan - 1/10/2014 2:31 PM
I have seen the same, but more concerning were the occasions that people were staring at us/me and pointed right into our lane....

We see this occasionally on right hand curves on narrower country roads where sight distance is limited by trees, especially with multiple rigs in line. Auto drivers already in their left curve begin staring at us and track into our lane, particularly into the path of the 2nd or 3rd rig.

Lee Summer Grove, LA R1100GS/CSM Sidecar, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L

They did that a lot when I had this one on the road.

Attached files

Well Jim, that are heavy weight arguments......7.62mm
What is the bike? Dnjepr?
In our neighbourhood in Germany we had a guy who used his grandfathers SS Uniform on his Zuendapp and mounted frequently a dummy MG.
Just for to fool his buddies as he was the owner of the HD repair shop. Tastes are tastes, but as my grandfather got imprisoned in 38 in Potsdam I never liked the joke.

Pulling over too far:
Today myself with the delivery car I went into the right ditch, when a flock of kids came down a main road on their patinetas-skate boards and a pick up truck tried to overtake them.....one tire to fix.
I definitely have lost 3 D feeling since the day I have to use glasses.