Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

More odd tire sizes

Howdy all! Just sold a couple of my projects and picked up a new one that I am really excited about. It's a 1994 MUZ Silver Star 500 with factory installed Velorex 562 sidecar called the Voyager. Sharp looking little rig.

As seems to always be the case, there are some challenges in fixing her up. First is the tires. The sizes are odd for sure. The front tire is 3.25(3.50)-16R. The rear is a 125-15R. And the sidecar is the same as the front, 3.25(3.50)-16R. Currently it has Michelin M38's on the front and sidecar but they don't seem to be available any longer. The rear is a Michelin that is still available for vintage Citroen cars but it's pretty expensive.

Anyone got any suggestions for tires. I'd like something with a squarish profile but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards, Troy v.K.
Atlanta, GA

Have you tried Coker tires? That sounds like a pretty standard bias ply sized tire to me. You're not gonna find a radial in that narrow size, but I bet you'll find a bias ply no problem.

Just search for "classic" tires or classic car tires, or custom sized tires ... something along those lines. Coker is not the only game in town of course.

I just checked and the DO have 3.25 and 3.5" tires in a 16" rim size. You may just have to take some measurements and then see what will fit. Its sometimes a compromise.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

We have the OEM Velorex Mitas tire in 3.50x16". It is a high mileage sidecar tire with strong sidewalls to stand the side stresses of a sidehack rig.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars, LLC
nwsidecar@aol.com

I just did a google on that tire and found a lot of info. Might give it a try.

Uber

For you're 125/15, I just got these TOYO Tyre's http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s406p0. Hav'nt run em yet, so cant say how well they do. I know these are in England but you may have an outlet over there.

They are alot cheaper than Firestone F560

Cheap as chip's..........as the saying goes.

Hack'n - 5/21/2009 11:20 PM
high mileage sidecar tire with strong sidewalls

Newbie question here: Are any available with WWW?

WW's? Probably not.

Is there any reason why this would not be appropriate?

http://store.coker.com/325-16-firestone-deluxe-champion-1-1-2-whitewall-tire.html

the hidden issue with tires on a sidecar rig is how much wt the tire will carry......

on my bike the axle wt rating is front 725lb, rear 960lb side 300 lb.. gross vehicle wt rating is 1600 lb. but the rear is the one that gets very close to max right away.. i tried a 725lb tire - it was nice, handled well - but started getting real hot on a hot day at speed & started to show delamination - i took it off and went to a tire with a higher rating and it never gets hot.

and originally they all had 16" tires...

a 135 r 15 on a car wheel fits nice on the rear but its wt limit is only 900...

im running a 145 r 15 rear - that has a rating of 1045 so its over the original

overloading a tire and blasting down the freeway loaded is not the time to have a tire lose it due to its rating being too low.

to complicate it many bike tires are rated for wt with a letter code - you need to do the research to be certain the tire will really work

to

I too recommend the Mitas tire for JAwa/Velorex like Lonnie offers you. they work great , are stiff and last long even when you abuse them as I do.
I had the MZ- ETZ 250 You are definetely better off with the Velorex sidecar frame then the old "Rubber"-Superelastic from MZ. Although I loved its flip nose and larger space. But the frame and fists had to be bent back every couple of thousand Km.
Good luck with the 4 stroker MZ
Sven

I got a 350/16 for Velorex700 on eBay (motorheadzone= seller), new, for $21.99+ship.
It's still all wrapped up>forgot brand but listed as c155 350X16 rib pattern
. It'll work fine for me. My hack tire has 10K+ miles
and looks to go another 5K at least.

Sounds like a Chen Shing at that price, They come two ways, 4 ply rating (bad) or 6 ply rated (good).
J.C. Whitney also carries them in 6 ply rating.
They're not a long mileage tire but they are certainly affordable.
The OEM Mitas sidecar tires are very long mileage tires. Considering price, mileage, mounting and balancing costs it's about an even tradeoff either way except for down time.

Lonnie

Yes, I think that is the brand. I do all of my own work so the other expenses don't affect me. Also , I put only
about 6K a year riding back and forth to town and an occasional thrill ride to the beach.
So , how about the rear for BMW R100? All that I have found is the flat bottom Block K in 400-18. It seems to last
8-10K. ....and is usually over $100. I would spend more if the mileage were more, ya know. For the front, I am still using up Metzlers that I already have . I did Google up a 3.5-19 from Dunlop, I think. It has a reasonably flat contact patch. It has zig-zag tread pattern. I think it's called a 'classic' maybe intended for old Harleys..? I have not bought one yet. If I were of a mind to do long distance or constant high speed , maybe the Chin Shang would hold for a while.
But, to be sure I would not start a long trip on old tires.
My unit bears only reasonable weight on the hack most of the time, and I try to shift my weight in hard turns....It does weird wheelie for sure....and really short, too...HA!

Avon makes a 19" front sidecar block tire.
If using the Chen Shing with a hack rig make sure it is the 6 ply rated one for the side loading strength .

Lonnie