USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Modernizing a Watsonian Cambridge Wheel &/or Wheel, Hub & Axle? Also axle lock washer?

Does anyone have info on modernizing the rim on a Watsonian Cambridge to a rim size with a more common tire size? I have one of these old rigs with the small 4x4 style rim and 10" tire. I was looking for info on more modern rim/tire combos that could be installed for more modern/common tire sizes then the small 10" which only seems to have a 2-3 options still available. I thought that maybe the whole axle, hub and rim might be swapped but that would be a big project and I'm concerned it may throw off the suspension geometry/functioning. Hopefully there are some other rims available to fit the hub.

Also I need to find a source for the lock washer in the hub. I tried contacting Watsonian but they never responded. Anyone know of a source for the lock washer?

If anyone has info on this please post. Thanks.

Your main issue is fitting a different wheel and tire under the fender. A bigger wheel and tire will not fit and you would also need to align the rig for the taller ride height. While I am not an expert on Watsonian sidecars You might find that on the last series of "mini's" before the new modern mini (which is large enough it should be called a maxi) they went to a 12 inch wheel. It could be the same bolt pattern as your Watsonian, again I do not know in which case by going with a 12 inch wheel you have a few more tire options including trailer tires. In the long run you may be better off to simply buy a tire from coker tire. As long as the alignment is correct on your rig, it should last you quite a long time and be a lot simpler then making changes to a wheel size with a slightly easier tire size to find but still more then likely require contacting coker tire.  https://www.cokertire.com

Jay G
DMC sidecars

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Thanks for the response Jay. Its all good food for thought. I fell into this sidecar by chance and am deciding if I want to change it up to better match my needs or swap it for something else. I think maybe a smaller car with a larger tire may be a better option as I do get off road with my rigs now and again. This Watsonian is more of a road vehicle then I need probably. The suspension is just so beautiful on the rig that I loathe to give it up. Compared to my jarring California Friendship rig with its torsion bar suspension the Watsonian rig feels like its riding on air.