For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

MO Proposed Legistation

MO is proposing some new changes for 2008. My concern is the no
passengers under 10 and proof of completion of an approved motorcycle
traing course to obtain a license. As of now there has never been a
course offered for 3 wheels here.
http://www.forr.net/legislative/PDF_Files/Summary0108.pdf

Looks like it's time for the Missouri Motorcycling community to be heard en masse in regards to these proposed changes.
Whether or not Missouri has a separate list of specific motorcycle rulings a clause or two should be added.

For HB1388 (had second reading): Add a clause exempting passengers in 3 wheeled vehicles with a separate compartment having passenger seating. Such as motorcycles with sidecars or enclosed 3 wheel trikes where there is no danger of the passenger falling from the vehicle.
(Seat belt usage could be mandatory or not, your choice.)

For SB1388 (had first reading): Add a clause exempting motorcycles from this ruling. Possibly add belt requirement for passengers in 3 wheel road vehicles.

The separation of two and three wheeled motorcycles in regards to training and licensing has already been thrashed through here due to the changes that occured in Washington State a couple of years ago.

The time for interested parties in Missouri to act on this is NOW, before the Bills become written law. Complaining on the Forums here (after the fact) will not get these rulings off the books once they are enacted into law.

Show 'em Missourians!

Lonnie

I sent an email to my Rep this morning. We have been working on repealing the helmet law here for years. Anyway I got the following reply.

Joyce,

On these two pieces of legislation, I’m with you. While I have always supported the helmet law, because the head injuries people have end up costing the rest of the taxpayers millions of dollars (and can be prevented to a large degree by wearing a helmet), these two bills outright prevent certain groups of people from riding at all. You have my support in opposing them.

Rob Schaaf

Subject: Proposed Legislation

Rep. Robert Schaaf

201 West Capitol Avenue

Room 304B

Jefferson City, MO 65101

Dear Representative Schaaf,

As a member of Freedom of Road Riders Local 6 and President of The United Sidecar Association, I am very concerned about a couple of proposed House Bills.

HB 1388 would prohibit a passenger 10 years of age or younger from being a passenger on a motorcycle or motortricycle. This law would directly affect many people who attach sidecars to allow their families to enjoy a ride too. This would also eliminate several charity rides which provide rides for disabled children in sidecars, like our own Camp Quality participation and the Ride for Kids which supports the Pediatric Brain Foundation.

HB 1459 requires every applicant for a motorcycle license to show proof that he or she has completed an approved motorcycle training course. At this time there are no courses offered in Missouri for sidecars or trikes, only MSF courses. If a person has disabilities and cannot ride a two wheeled motorcycle they would not be allowed to obtain a license. I see this as discrimination against people with disabilities and a very bad law. Who is responsible for approving these courses and if this is a requirement they should be state subsidized.

Thank you for your time and I urge you to vote against these Bills.

Joyce - I'll do the same and pass the word also!
Thanks for the heads up.
Dean

Joyce,
Your wording: "At this time there are no courses offered in Missouri for sidecars or trikes, only MSF courses. If a person has disabilities and cannot ride a two wheeled motorcycle they would not be allowed to obtain a license. I see this as discrimination against people with disabilities and a very bad law. Who is responsible for approving these courses and if this is a requirement they should be state subsidized."

This is almost ver batum my words (and intent) to the Transportation Chair in Washington that mushroomed into the (ongoing) controversy there after the Legislature got through with it and incorporated new rules, new endorsements and extra fees for all three wheelers. All without adequate training facilities in place beforehand (or even now).

Stay with them. Don't leave the ball in their court or the tickets for the next game will be much higher.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Thanks Lonnie, I am working on a better letter. I think I have a lot of material available in the WA State threads and won't forget the "who profits".

Hello,
I'd recommend posting this info in as many forums as you can find. SCT, ADVrider (under HACKS) and maybe the Ural websites.
...just my 2¢

Tony

AMA News and Notes
1/21/2008

Missouri House bill 1442, sponsored by Rep. Jeff Roorda (D-Barnhart), creates a class C misdemeanor crime of motorcycle stunt riding on a public highway for anyone observed standing on the seat, frame, or handlebars of a motorcycle; performing handstands on the seat, frame, or handlebars of a motorcycle; operating a motorcycle on one tire; or removing both hands from the handlebars while operating the motorcycle. If the motorcycle has no license plate, the charge becomes a class A misdemeanor. Use the AMA Rapid Response Center at http://www.AMADirectlink.com to let your state reps know that you oppose this legislation.