Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

MC mount to SC frame, Daytona SC

I am trying to adjust toe-in on Daytona SC, toe-in is off by 2". The front mount is tublar and inserts into the SC frame and held inplace by pinch bolts. After removing SC from GL1500, and removing pinch bolts the forward mount is stuck inside SC frame. Do not know if it is rusted inplace or wedged (best bet is rusted). Have tried to break loose with 3 ft pipe inserted on end, but just bent the inserted piece of pipe. Have sprayed lubed joint and let set over night and still will not move. Only thing left is to heat the SC frame and try to break loose, but afraid that this might weaken the frame at the joint. Any other suggestions to remove the mount from the frame will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Roy

Heating the slip tube and rapping it with a hammer after a good soaking with penetrating oil works. Best to do this frame off though to prevent body damage.

L.

Thanks Lonnie, did not think of removing the body first. I'll give this a try and post results. Thanks again!

Roy

Take the hiem joint off, slide the boss as close as you can to the clamp, Get a large slide hammer (you can rent if need be) Our slide hammer has the same 5/8 inch threads as the hiem joint so we thread it in where the hiem joint was, A few good hits with the slide hammer and it is out.
Jay
DMC sidecars

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Jay, bought a slide hammer kit w/5lb. hammer. attached to hiem joint and the mount did not move at all. I'm in the process of removing body from frame and am going to try to heat outer frame and use the slide hammer to break loose. Can not believe this thing is so hard to free up. Thanks for advice, will keep posted on progress.

Roy

At last, got the front mount out of the s/c frame. Ended up removing the body from frame, and with the help of a couple of friends heated the outer s/c frame, used a longer piece of 1 1/2" pipe managed to turn mount inside frame. Then with the slide hammer pulled mount from s/c frame. Not a bit of rust on the mount or inside the s/c frame, but upon heating the powder coating on the mount melted and allowed the mount to move.
Reading the instructions for mounting the s/c, the powder coating is to be stripped off if the fit is tight. this was not done on initial installation and after setting toe in and tighting the whole thing must have froze up. Now to cleanup the mount and frame and repaint. then put two new tires on and adjust the rig for me and my wife and then back on the road.
Thanks for the suggestions on how to fix this problem. You guys have been a lot of help, Thank You very much.

Roy

At last, back on the road. Two new tires, s/c frame repainted, body mounted and s/c attached to bike and adjusted per specs. Rides like a dream. Biggest plus is I've got one real happy dog that loves to ride. Thanks for suggestions to all.

Roy

smokeynal - 8/30/2011 9:33 PM

At last, back on the road. ... I've got one real happy dog...

Good to hear. And just in time for fall riding too.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300