Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Lucky accident on the rig

Page 1 of 2Next

Saturday August 17th Aiden and I went for a long ride. We left Inwood WV around 11:00 am and head down to Jessup MD to visit Bobs BMW to check out the old bikes they have and to see if we could see any cool sidecar rigs. They had a few to look at but Aiden would rather ride. From there we to a short ride over to Old Glory Harley Davidson to check out the store, they ahd free hot dogs and drinks so lunch was real cheap. Next I decided to head on down the BW parkway into DC and ride thru town. We ended up on Massachusetts Ave and passed all the Embassys, which was cool to see again. We rode around thru town and headed out I-66 west to see a brother, Preacher Crane(founder 2nd Thief M/M) in Gainesville VA on the way home . Well thats where the problem came in, for some reason people in the big cities find it necesary to come to a complete stop on the highway , but only in one lane of four . We were in the far left lane running 65 MPH when we crested a small hill in the road and I couldnt see our lane far enough donw the road past the Jeep in front of us. I had a reasonable cushion of space between us when our lane came to a screeching halt. The jeep stopped with tires smoking and swaying pretty good , the traffic to my right was still moving but to heavy for me to dive over a lane or two so I choose the left shoulder. This section however has a 4 inch drop off into thick gravel and we ended up hitting the guard rail with the left side of the bike. It was a glancing blow and so far I can only see the turn signal is missing, my shifter linkage is broken , my air horn is bent and doesnt work and a few holes worn thru my saddle bag and a hole thru my pants leg with grooves in my boot side and toe. I only got some bruises on two toes and a swollen ankle. Aiden has NO injuries and tells everyone "We wrecked the bike and my sidecar went up in the air". The rig is setting at my brothers house in Gainesville VA awaiting me to return with the trailer since the bike is stuck in third gear, we rode it about 20 miles to get there and got a ride home, another 70 miles. Once I pick up the rig I will post pics . Right now I just have one pic to share . I had thought about wearing shorts and sneakers cause it is always hot out to me anymore.

Attached files

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

Glad you nixed the shorts and sneakers idea. But certainly not nearly as glad as you are!! Best wishes for getting your bike back in order... And thank God you didn't become sandwich meat between two cages!!

We continued on the shoulder for several miles before forcing our way back into traffic and moved over to the right lane . A few miles down the road the left center lane was at a dead stop also. I have no Idea why this happens but i think its because everyone has to be first no matter what the cost so people get cutoff .........

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

Any time a lane ends and you must merge into one of the other lanes, there are always plenty of warning arrows first and sometimes a lane ends sign.
There are also plenty of folks who will drive to the very end and force merge to get ahead of those who prudently slow down. If you are caught in the ending lane there are an equal number who will try to keep you there by pacing your speed along side of you so that you don't get an opportunity to merge.
Road rage and rhoid rage ensues. I alway like to read about two road ragers that go after each other instead of an innocent driver.
Makes for a less boring trip.
Rhoid rage = pain in the azz driver

Reardan Tom - 8/20/2013 11:11 AM
Glad you nixed the shorts and sneakers idea.... And thank God you didn't become sandwich meat between two cages!!

+1. Sporty, we're sure glad your injures are minimal and Aiden is unscathed and didn't get scared.  Good luck with the repairs.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Glad you guys weren't injured. Good lesson to me on increasing following distance. I also try to do that so I have some cushion to move forward in case the guy behind me can't stop as quickly as me, whether because of his/her texting or otherwise.

Sure glad you weren't hurt. We always try to keep about 3 bike lengths apart when we are traveling together. It takes longer for a sidecar rig to stop because of the increased weight. It is scary when everyone stops instantly and you don't have anywhere to go but the ditch.

Man, I'm glad you didn't get hurt very bad! I'm hoping to ride the Blue Ridge parkway and Skyline drive and wind up at Harpers Ferry one of these days and would like to meet you and see your rig. I also pull my hack with a Sportster. If you would like to get together sometime fire me off an email @ jhunt531@yahoo.com.

Dough, I am glad You made it although in a little harsh way...
Hopefully the complaints will not come from the best wife of all or your daughter: "How can You dare to put the small kid into danger."
I just come back from Alaska with my son and was lucky that I could avoid a Lady pocking right into me in Anchorage. with the result of only 3 broken spokes (and a flat later).
If this would have happened closer to home I surely would have got to hear some of the above...

Best wishes for the repair and have fun with your grandson on future rides.
Sven

Thank God you were injured my friend. .. Those guard rails are hard on things, but usually body parts. ..

Thanks guys, we are back riding and having a blast. We jsut went to DC on Sept 11th for the "2 Million Biekrs to DC " ride . Had a blast with that and we totally clogged up DC with bikes and slowed traffic down even more if thats possible. Hey Bob , if you head this way Harpers Ferry is only 15 miles east of me . You have to make an appointment to get together if you come up!

Glad you got to the million bikers thing. How will I find you?

Hey BOB you can send me a message thru this site when ever you plan to head my way, I can also ride around Harpers Ferry with ya and show ya the back roads and the good ice cream or coffee shops.

Sounds like a plan, thanks!

Hi WV Sporty. I'm planning to leave tomorrow morning riding up the Blue Ridge parkway and skyline drive, will probably get a motel in Front Royal tomorrow night. Should be in your area Thursday morning.

That's a long ride for one day, especially with 45 and 35 MPH speed limits on the Parkway and Skyline Drive! But it looks like you'll have a great day for it.

Yep, rode in the rain and thick fog into Virginia and broke a long standing rule and took I-77 and 81, finally rode out of the rain. Doesn't look as though WV Sporty is going to answer so in the morning I'm headed for Harpers Ferry.

Hey Bob sorry. I put a post on this line but it must not have showed.
"I sent you a pprivate message here and am email to you with my phone number".
Do you have a. White Sportster with blue Orr black sidecar?

Yep, white sportster and a black sidehack.

I got to Harpers Ferry at around ten this morning and toured for about 3 hours, nice tour.

Page 1 of 2Next