Notifications
Clear all

Looking to put a sidecar on a BMW R100R

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@bradley-mandell)
Topic starter

Not sure If I want to add a sidecar to this bike I have or should I just buy a complete rig already set up? Doesn't have to be a BMW.  I have moderate mechanical skills.  I had a 2007 Ural for a while and liked it but it was low on power and I wasn't interested in going off road.  Looking for opinions? Thanks

Posted : November 3, 2022 11:20 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

I’ve got no technical advice, but I’ve seen MUCH poorer choices for a tug. If it’s in good condition and you put a lower gear ratio final drive on, it should work well enough. 

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : November 3, 2022 3:41 pm
 Drew
(@andrew-baker)

Many have said it's better to buy one that's built than build it yourself.  Unfortunately I didn't hear that until I dove in.

Having just put a sidecar on an 84 RT, I can tell you that finding the mounting frame or someone to build it is tough.  By the time I added up all the associated costs, I could have bought a number of rigs that were already set up and had the kinks worked out. 

I got the bike at a great price, the sidecar at an unheard of price, and the frame/hook up was reasonable but not cheap.  It was all the other things like upgrading the suspension and easier steering and so on that made it a $11k project.

It also took me the better part of a year.  I'm happy with it but there were several rigs that came up I would have been just as happy with and they wouldn't have come with the aggravation that the shops I worked with caused.

I have also heard that the earlier dual shock BMWs do better with the sidecar weight than the mono shock ones.

Posted : November 10, 2022 11:12 am
(@bradley-mandell)
Topic starter

Thanks,  I am going to take your advice and look for a completed rig.

Posted : November 13, 2022 5:41 am
(@ned)

Quote from Bradley Mandell on November 13, 2022, 10:41 am

Thanks,  I am going to take your advice and look for a completed rig.

Not sure where you're located, but there's a R1100R rig for sale right now in Connecticut that looks decent.

http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/classified/1998-bmm-r1100r-with-hannigan-side-car-listing-28040.aspx

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : November 13, 2022 6:36 am
(@mick-boon)

Quote from Andrew Baker on November 10, 2022, 4:12 pm

Many have said it's better to buy one that's built than build it yourself.  Unfortunately I didn't hear that until I dove in.

Having just put a sidecar on an 84 RT, I can tell you that finding the mounting frame or someone to build it is tough.  By the time I added up all the associated costs, I could have bought a number of rigs that were already set up and had the kinks worked out. 

I got the bike at a great price, the sidecar at an unheard of price, and the frame/hook up was reasonable but not cheap.  It was all the other things like upgrading the suspension and easier steering and so on that made it a $11k project.

It also took me the better part of a year.  I'm happy with it but there were several rigs that came up I would have been just as happy with and they wouldn't have come with the aggravation that the shops I worked with caused.

I have also heard that the earlier dual shock BMWs do better with the sidecar weight than the mono shock ones.

You can also buy a buy a combination that is supposed to be sorted out that is not.  I would rather do it myself and know it's done properly than trust someone else.     There are a lot of rip off dealers around.     

My advise would be... If you can live with life in the slow lane then get a CJ or a Ural, otherwise put a combination together yourself.

PS, My CJ is the coolest thing on the road no matter the speed. It took me over a year to sort it out but was well worth it, the end result was extreme satisfaction.

Posted : December 9, 2022 6:03 am