Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Looking for new tug

Hi all

I am considering replacing my current tug, Goldwing 1500. I am looking for  something with a little less tupperware  and a nice blend of cruiser and tourer design

I a looking at the Kawasaki Voyager and the Yamaha Venture but am open to other ideas. I haven't seen many cars on either so I have to ask if they would make good tugs.

if you have info on these bikes I welcome your input good or bad. I had the Valkyrie on my list but Jay helped me see it wasn't going to be a good choice

Mike Donohue has reacted to this post.
Mike Donohue
USCA # 8913

We have done both, and have mounts for both.  I would add to your list of requirements are steering modifications made for the bike and can you fit an automotive tire to the rear. Another bike I have always liked that we still make mounts for but no longer have  steering modifications for is the Triumph Rocket 3 tourer.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

Big Tom and Mike Donohue have reacted to this post.
Big TomMike Donohue
Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30
  • The Valkyrie 1500 is basically a Goldwing without the Tupperware.. cruiser and some have the touring package, beautiful bikes.
  • There's a Facebook group dedicated to the Valkyrie with sidecars.
Thane Lewis has reacted to this post.
Thane Lewis

The Valkyrie is a great bike, two down sides, they always have gotten poor fuel economy, which is not that big of a deal. However the newest one is still over 20 years old.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

Thane Lewis has reacted to this post.
Thane Lewis
Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

How about a Triumph Rocket?  I am thinking about something more highway capable than our Ural for the future.

Joe

So during my search for a new tug I ran across a deal on a Goldwing trike that I jumped on and bought for my wife. it had been sitting so it needed quite a bit of work, so between the purchase and working on getting it road worthy my search for a new tug was put on hold. 

CCjon has reacted to this post.
CCjon
USCA # 8913

I too have a 1500SE and would like something different for the same reasons! Plus I think the torque curve of a V twin is probably more suited to be a tug , not to mention I just can't stand the elitist mentality the winger guys seem highly infected with.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

I did get my new to me tug. after much looking and then being put on hold for a bit I bought this beauty from my BIL who decided to hang up his helmet. I once said I would never buy an 1800 wing, well unless I put a sidecar on it. now comes the tough decision as to whether I want to make the modifications to the Motorvation and install it or get a new style car 

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
USCA # 8913

Ace, I'm in agreement with you regarding the tupperware.  I like the color of the GL1800 in your picture.  I have a friend in IL with that color GL1800 and Hannigan sidecar.  It is a beauty.

If a new Valkyrie would come out with fuel injection I'd be very interested if the classic motorcycle look remained.  The GL1500ct is a very comfortable bike to ride, but Jay is right about the fuel efficiency.  It is better than my pickup truck, but worse than our Ford Escape.

speaking of mileage, funny thing. I have bought 2 bikes from Atlanta area, both of them got 40+ MPG when I bought them but after getting them home and riding about a month they both went down under 40 MPG. I guess we have bad gas here in Sav. area 

USCA # 8913

I could like the GL1800 more if that giant rear box was gone - I have seen some threads on "wing" sites about removing them - a kit/mod for same is mentioned but seems to be old info - anyone familiar?