Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Looking for advice on first sidecar

Due to some nerve problems in my legs I am to the point that I need a third wheel. I have looked at both trikes and sidecar’s and have decided on a sidecar with the help of my children. What I need is some sound advice. I really like the look of the Motorvation Spyder and the CSM American classic, however, I fear that other than my kids (14, 15, and 16) they may be too small. The CSM is bigger and I think would be ok but support is a 14 hour drive away.

Now the hard part, Hannigan is 200 miles from me which is a big plus in terms of support but I am not as pleased with the look of the classic. My bike is a 08 FXD superglide which I know is not the optimum rig, but it is what I have. I stepped down from a FLH thinking I would have less trouble with my legs and to my surprise I still can’t feel them after about 45 minutes. The bike is easier to maneuver though but not enough to keep on two wheels. Anyway I talked to Hannigan and am almost sold on a classic, however, they say that the disc brakes are really a plus. While I would like the look of the old style car the drivability and comfort of my wife is more important to me I never questioned the electric lean, but thought the breaks were more of a nicety and he kinda talked me out of that thought.

For a first time sidecar are the brakes worth it? Do the folks with Hannigans have the breaks or do without? I am on a limited budget and $650 is a good chunk to me. Is there anyone in north Alabama that has a Hannigan classic who might let me look at it?

Foodog2,

I can't speak exactly to your request but imo I would get the "Brake" installed. My rig is a BMW K1200LT and a Hannigan KLT side car installed at the factory. It is a superbly balanced hack that gives me great pleasure. It has the steering mod (trail reduction) which is very easy change due to the suspension design of the BMW which provides finger lite handlebar control at all speeds. "Tilt", electrically/ hydraulically provides fingertip control to neutralize road crown, cross-winds, speed induced drag and different loads. You can instantly zero out any need to provide a pressure on the steering bars. Now, last of all size is important. My m/c weighs 850 lbs plus the 275 lb KLT. Your m/c is lighter and so is the "Classic". But, that doesn't mean you can "get by" and not have that sidecar wheel brake-less! Jump on your brakes (both) and that inertia/ on that "moment arm" will try to pass you............... read, swerve! Do the same on your m/c with a Hannigan integrated/ flow controlled brake into your m/c's rear brake line and you will stop quicker and virtually no swerve......... The "Hannigans" know what they are doing and produce a product equal in every way to BMW. HTH!

My wife and I enjoy our rig so much......................... I'm still grinning!

+1 to what Tourdog said. Our first rig has been a Hannigan installed on a K1200GT BMW. S/C Brake and Electric Lean I would consider essential, along with a trail modification for easier steering. We are having a great time traveling in our rig--it handles well, is easy to operate, has great brakes, and is very comfortable for my wife. We just returned from a 2000-mile round trip from UT to CA and back.

Another consideration you'll want to keep in mind is ease of entry and exit for your passenger. My wife did not want to have to climb over anything tall to enter or exit the car.

Good luck with your new rig regardless of what make or model you select!

Best,

GTRider

Having driven hundreds of rigs with and without a sidecar brake, I am not pro brake for any of the single sidecars. The wide double rigs are not as controllable during a panic stop so I would have a modulated brake with one of those models.
My current FLHX/Liberty rig has a dandy disc brake but I don't use it since it reacts against (normal) physics and will pull to the right if used in normal braking situations. I have better control with a slight compensating push to the left on the bars.
Sidecar tire traction is erratic at best depending upon loading, direction of travel and the coefficient of balance between the sidecar brake and the bikes braking system.
Not trying to convert anyone here but this has worked the best for my style of hacking.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

I am just starting to enjoy a sidecar after many years on 2 wheels.
I tried my friend's rig on a few occasions before making a final decision on a sidecar.
My friend’s rig does not have a sidecar brake.
What I experienced while braking the rig was a diving and pulling tendency toward the left.
It is possible that instinct on a 2 wheeler told me to use the front brake more than the rear brake which may have exacerbated my experience.
But for the sake of perceived safety and control, I purchased a Champion Legend with a brake.
It is activated in unison with the original rear brake on the bike.
What I experience now is that the diving and pulling tendency can be eliminated by regulating and coordinating the pressure on the front lever and rear pedal.
The sidecar is prevented from trying to swing around the bike because it is being braked proportionately.
I feel more comfortable and safer and have better control.
Of course this is only my opinion based on what I experienced, keeping in mind that I am a sidecar beginner.

I also have a disk brake on my hannigan conte. I found it to be a nuisance. I have found the same thing as Lonnie. I disconnected it because it causes erratic braking and often times will lock up before the rear wheel on my bike even engages. ( they both run off the same master). I even installed a hydraulic proportioning valve and it doesn't help. I found it a waste of the $$$ I paid for it when ordering my sidecar. If I had to do over I would have used that money on a different option. I use the gearing down and both brakes and it works fine. My rig need a little time to get stopped either way so I depend heavily on the engine to help me get stopped. In an emergency it will pull a little to the left but I am used to it. It will also pull to the right on a jack rabbit take off from the inertia. I just consider it all part of being a rig pilot