Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Liberty Sidecar

Page 1 of 2Next

Does anyone have pictures of a liberty sidecar attached to a Harley bagger? I'm looking for close-up photos that show the mounting points, the cars suspension, and the frame. Any comments on the product?

The Liberty uses all 3 stock Harley mounts plus an added mount. Full coil over shock adjustable suspension plus multiple leaf cantilever body suspension.
The Liberty is a world class sidecar.

I'll try to add some closeup pix tomorrow.

L.

Attached files

From the pictures you attached it looks like you're in the side car business. Do you sell or otherwise service liberty sidecars?

I live in Chicago, IL area (south of I-80 in the small town of Channahon). I ride a 2005 Electra Glide. I am 60 and it's either time to hang up the boots and gloves or get another wheel on this thing. I looked at trikes first, but they just don't do anything for me. I picked up an older used Ural about five years ago for for something to play with. I only kept it a short while. It was hard starting and unreliable. I only rode it a few times and got rid of it. But, I liked the car and the ride, so it looks like the direction I'm headed.

I've looked at all the available sidecars on the net and like the Liberty, but other than their web site there's not much available to see what your getting for your 6K. If I lived in the North West I would visit their store and look at their product. Twenty minutes with one would answer my questions.

Like the mounts, the Liberty site doesn't mention them at all. Are they included with the sidecar, or if they are the same as HD's, do I buy them from the dealer. I have the HD sidecar manual for the 2005 Touring bikes and the mounts look like castings in the line drawings. A set for sale on ebay recently look like weldments. I know they were selling for $500 and cost over $1000 at the dealer.

The Liberty Sidecar web site, like any business site, is about sales. Their images show you the sweet side of the car. I'm and old mechanic, I want to see the working side of the car: the frame, brake, suspension, mounts, etc. Any light you can shed on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any info you can add.

Mark, Kurt is a good resourse for information and might not be far from you. I don't think he has much web presence but he knows his stuff.

SCF Sidecars and Frames
Kurt Liebhaber
1046 Mud-Creek Rd
Oregon, Illinois 61061
815-734-7001
http://www.sidecar-industry.com/SCF/scf.htm
Sidecar Name: SCF Sidecars, Velorex, others new and used

i have serial# 0006 in ohio if you come thru. you are welcome to look at it. It is one of the first Liberty cars, so I don't know how much has changed. I am approx 5 hours from chigago The car fits softails only, so I know there are some changes.

I've got some close up photos of mine that I took for a guy a few years back that shows the mounts and the way Pete at Liberty set it up. Only thing is, those photos are on an external drive in the house and I won't be back there until probably close to noon. I will find them though and either post them here or e-mail them to you.

Thank you. Those should help. I just hate to buy something that I haven't seen. Out of curiosity, what's your bike? how's your tire wear?

Sent you some pix of my ElectraGlide setup.

Lonnie

I saw the two pictures of the red Liberty. Nice! If you sent others I didn't see them.

Mark, I sent some photos to your live.com address. Hope they help.

Tom, isn't yours attached to a softail also? Would you mind sending me those pics too? I haven't hooked mine up yet.

Mine is an FLH, not a Softtail... Would you still want the photos?

Tom
I got the photos. Thank you very much, these help a lot.

You're welcome. Glad they helped.

LOL, I got confused,,,, no , I don't need pics of the FLH setup,,but thanks!

This is about the best picture I have of the Liberty suspension but you can't see where the 4 mounting points are. Sorry I don't have any close ups.
RoadGlide/Liberty

Attached files

There are 4 mounting points with the Liberty.

L.

Lonnie
Is the forth support (the point Harley doesn't use) the one under the seat area. From the earlier photos it looks like a diamond shape reinforcement plate is welded in over the factory metal. Am I correct in saying that needs to be welded?

Liberty furnished, owner welded to Harley frame.

L.

Our sub frame is a bolt on and gives you all 4 points. The upper rear is not easy to do with out cutting the seat. They way we have done it is with a sub frame that bolts to our lower sub frame in the area of the swing arm pivot. This bolts on with two 7/16 bolts that take most if not all of the load. Then for just a little bit of extra support we clamp onto the crash that goes around the saddle bags. If the bike does not have these crash bars then we are able to attach to the frame of the bike under the seat where the crash bar would attach. While we have not tried it with a Liberty sidecar I do not see why it would not work.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30
Page 1 of 2Next