USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Left hand hack

Has anyone had experience with riding a rig, hack on the left, in this right handed driving world of the USA?

My thoughts are that it might not be much of an issue. Especially that right hand turns are tighter than left. It could be of minor advantage.

On the down side, it might feel weird not mounting the bike from the left; after fifty years of jumping on from that side.
Also, the fact it is so unusual to the rest of the motoring world, that I might need an abundance of marker lights on it to make it visible to them.

Any comments? Anyone?

Jim

2014 CB1100 Std, 2000 ST1100 with DMC Classic, 1981 CB650C

Passing can be entertaining.

Jim
I don't think it's the difference in the ride you need to be thinking about
the reason we have our cars on the right side is because we drive on the right side of the road
imagine being in a left mounted rig on a 2 lane road behind a truck you can't see around, now you want to pass said truck, as you ease out you are exposing your rig to oncoming traffic before you can see it
riding a bike or rig these days to tough enough with others not watching for us, I sure don't want to make it worse
just my thoughts

97 1500 SE Motorvation II sidecar USCA # 8913 Double Dark Side # 1522 Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16 PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18

Good points on the passing. My limited experience touring with my rig has left me going back to the ST1100 for that. I have been using the rig for around town almost exclusively. But I repeat, Good points.
Thanks
Jim

Also, you have to set the rigs differently due to the crown of the road being backwards to normal. We only do left side mount sidecars when we are doing wheel chair sidecars where the person will be operating the motorcycle from the sidecar. We do make left side mount sidecars that we ship to the UK, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Thanks for the shot of reality.
I had been in the grips of a mid-winter PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) and surfing the net.
I dialed up the Watsonian UK site and saw the news release posted last fall for a new model introduction. And, well, imagination overcame reality.
The model is called the "Flight". It's low sleek and simple. They offer a specific mounting to the Yamaha FJ-09; mounted on the left.
The left hand mount would be hard to live with, even in town.

I have become tired of the complexity of the Old Wing tug for the California I. I've enjoyed the rig around town more than on the road, preferring to ride two wheels long distance.
This looked like a nice combination of middleweight and style. Perhaps a right hand option will be available someday.,

Thanks all
I thought a simpler, lighter rig would be more enjoyable.

Attached files

Here is a leftie we came across a few years back.
We've also set up a couple others through the years for amputees.
Some of the early sidecar frames were fairly easy to flip and reverse sides with.

Lonnie
NWSC Ret'd.

Attached files

If you really want the Watsonian, they can build it for right side fitment.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

jaydmc - 2/27/2017 5:01 PM

Also, you have to set the rigs differently due to the crown of the road being backwards to normal. We only do left side mount sidecars when we are doing wheel chair sidecars where the person will be operating the motorcycle from the sidecar. We do make left side mount sidecars that we ship to the UK, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay, this is a new one for me and really caught my attention. I'm curious what this involves and how it works.
Mike

You end up leaning the bike in rather then out as the lean in or out is to compensate for the crown of the road.
Jay G
DMC sidecars