Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Leaning Sidecars

I know there was a company that made a sidecar that would lean with the motorcycle. Watching the TV show American Pickers I saw one sitting in the driveway of the Gas Station where Mike and Frank were picking. I thought they would at least ask about it, especially with Mike's love of motorcycles. They didn't. So, my question is: does anyone know anything about these sidecarss? Are they still being made? How well do they work? Seems like a cool idea if they work. Any info appreciated. thanks

Hi sidecarist. Type "Leaning sidecar" in google!

Thank you. I found the info. Very interesting stuff. Almost looks like the history of Indian Motorcycles. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with these, or knows where they are available or can be seen?

My son (age 48- been riding since age 12) is currently working on a 'Free Leaner' concept, like the Armec, to attach to his R1200GS. As an Exotic Metals welder/fabricator, he plans to build from the ground up, and shape the 'Tub' similar to the GS' tank/fender. He also has my '70 CZ 250 Moto-X, '71 CZ 175 Dual sport (parts), '70 CZ 175 Sport and may use the rear wheel off the 175, as it's the same as the Velorex 562.

By the way, I think you're referring to the 'Equilean'. Last I heard, the scion of the original developer was living somewhere in SE Asia, and still playing with the design. Even to the point of mounting 2 'Chairs' with the 'Bike' in the middle.

Thanks for the update. Evidentially it was not a "big seller" here in the US. Sure hope somebody is willing to continue work on the design. Just plain looks like it would be a lot of fun to ride with and much easier to steer. On the other hand it would present it's own riding challenges. I just don't have the knowledge or skill to design and build such a vehicle. Ever onward in design. Ride safe!

Here's link to story (and Videos?) http://thekneeslider.com/wallick-lean-machine-dual-leaning-sidecar-rig/ I misspelled the Brand, it was 'Equalean'

Thanks for the update. Wow, quite a bit of info. Just wondering why the idea never took off here!

For the same reason that Harley-Davidson discontinued sidecar supply a few years back: Too small a 'Niche' market. The same held true for ultra-lightweight and small footprint tent trailers: I had to design and build my own, to get what I wanted.

That's unfortunately true for several things. Didn't any of the prefab trailers work for you? Also, currently reading the book by Del Lonnquist where he tows a trailer on a trip. How well do they trailer with a sidecar rig? Does it affect power, stopping and manuverability? Thanks

First, I towed a 'CycleMate', towed wonderfully because of its long draw, but heavy (~ 350 lb loaded, a bit scary on wet downhill corners), impossible to set up solo, and no place for gear, or to put pants on in private.
Then I designed (and had my son assemble from .065" Aluminum checker plate) a new, lightweight trailer (less than 200lb loaded) that utilized a 9' x 12' outside frame nylon tent. It has a standard sized double bed (which you can walk around 3 sides of), room for gear under 1/2 of bed, can easily be set up by 1, and could even accommodate another biker on the ground. It tows well enough that on its first trip, we had a younger lady that decided to travel with wife and I, say " I didn't think we would be travelling that fast" (up to 95 mph, 60-85 in corners). Towing with a sidecar rig, I would think you'd want the trailer connected at the bike C/L, so it doesn't accentuate the chair's inertia. We know a fellow that ran a 74" 'Panhead' combo, towing a small cargo trailer for their gear, but it definitely struggled on long mountain grades.
As to trailers in general, I grew up with a neighbor (a couple of years younger) and remember seeing a 'High-Miler' article about him (in Cycle World, maybe). The picture with story showed his GL 1000 towing a trailer loaded with 2 flat-trackers, going to a race meet. I also saw a picture in a mag (Cycle Canada), of him towing a 14' sailboat to a GWOA meet some 1000 miles from home. Then again, he also said he owned a car, but only drove it to work a few days a year. That's dedication!

That's incredible! Sure answers my questions about towing a camping trailer. Thanks! By the way, I agree with your friend. I only use our car in extreme emergencies. Ride safe

'High-Miler' is Ron Sales, about 74 years old now, as I'm 76. To the best of my knowledge, he never rode sidecar, though.
BTW, Wife rides her own (GL650I-'83), as does daughter-in-law (KTM 640ADV/KTM 990ADV). Son rides BMW R1200GS/Honda XR650R (street legal and registered), and mine is GL1200I '85.