Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

leaning bike with sidecar

Came across some sites where the bike leans while the sidecar stays level.  It appears that there are only two attachments on the bottom.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Bill

Sounds like someone wanting to die. leaner with  few parts missing.

Hi Bill,

I have a few leaners.  Was out riding my Zero electric motorcycle with Watsonian sidecar today.

Dave

Quote from Dave Skudlarek on April 29, 2023, 11:24 am

Hi Bill,

I have a few leaners.  Was out riding my Zero electric motorcycle with Watsonian sidecar today.

Dave

Read again what he described.  Only bike leans sidecar does not.

My bike does lean.  and the sidecar does not.  What did I miss.  There is a complete story of the build in the Sidecarist.

Dave

Dave,

Did not see that article.  Do you know where I can find it?

From my research most appear to be in Europe using BMWs.  From what I can see the attachments are only two at the bottom of the bike.  My sidecar has two at the bottom and two at the top to keep it upright.  That appears to be standard.

If I disconnected the two uppers would I have the same thing.  I think I will try and see if it works.  Any suggestions let me know.

Thanks guys,

Bill

Ride safe

Bill, 

Search leaner here.

Dave

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
FlyingMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeys

Bill, 

This leaner is on a BMW RS. I have another one on a GS.

Dave

Uploaded files:
FlyingMonkeys

Well I have some decisions to make.  My wife can't ride any distance anymore so I have been wrestling with the sidecar itself.  I am just getting back on my feet after beating cancer and will be 86.  As a result, I have to also look at the bike's weight alone or ride with the empty sidecar.

If I could use the leaning bike setup I could enjoy the bike as if it was only 2 wheels.  My second option is to sell the whole rig and buy a Yamaha FJR1300ES sport tourer.  It has all the comforts but is lighter.  I could also buy the Legup by Chopper design and keep my 2000 Yamaha venture, but it does not have all the "new" goodies.

Anyway, you can see my dilemma and why I am checking around a lot and asking for any input from others that may have gone through this.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Thanks,

Bill

Ride Safe

FlyingMonkeys

Just for general interest and future readers, this topic of 'leaners' has come up before. You can search the "Sidecarist Magazine Historical Archive" (1996 to 2006) index for 'leaner' and find an article published in the 1985 volume 9 number 2 issue (page 17) by Hal Kendall. 

Link here: Sidecarist Magazine Historical Archive

Magazine link here: The Sidecarist, March 1985

Jerry

DRONE, CCjon and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
DRONECCjonReardan TomFlyingMonkeys
"I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things."

No info on this just the interesting photo

Uploaded files:
CCjon, Szkudlarek and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonSzkudlarekFlyingMonkeys

that's a flexi made in Ohio.   Wheels thur time has 4 or 5.  The story of my Zero S with Watsonian.  Sidecarist May/June 2020 page 14-15

Dave

CCjon, Reardan Tom and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonReardan TomFlyingMonkeys

Dave, can you post a photo or two of your leaner? Many readers here do not get the Sidecarist magazine and missed seeing your great article.

In response to below (Today it is the text editor that is making nonsense (better this then when the log in procedure fails)):

No you should not disconnect the upper 2 struds and thus pretend to convert your solid rig into a leaner.

On the leaners You have both lower connecting points in line with the center line of the bike (and sometimes the front pivot a few cm above the center line of the back pivot for help steering in bends). Any pivot significantly set off out of the center line of the bike will cause a sideway lever and make you flip...=...kiss the ground.

2 Cent.

Sven, who still would love to try a leaner somewhen....but not in snow nor mud.

If I disconnected the two uppers would I have the same thing.  I think I will try and see if it works.  Any suggestions let me know.

smitty901, Reardan Tom and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
smitty901Reardan TomFlyingMonkeys

Here is the Sidecarist article that Dave referenced in his post above (attached). The article is by Bob Wark, of The Warkshop, talking about how he constructed Dave's Zero electric bike with a Watsonian Meteor as a 'leaner'. 

Sidecarist May/June 2020 page 14-15

Jerry

Uploaded files:
SwampFox, Craig and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxCraigSzkudlarekFlyingMonkeys
"I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things."

Here's a Flexit sidecar on my BMW K100.  With my grandson Tucker and his mom Kenda.

It's Tuckers 16th birthday today

Uploaded files:
FlyingMonkeys