Notifications
Clear all

L & W Sidecars

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mikem)
Topic starter

Does anyone know anything about L & W sidecars? I think they may be out of business.There is a for sale ad on Craigslist for one. The seller's description is 1989 TLE , but I can see that it is not a TLE. The chassis has leaf springs like a Harley sidecar but the body is styled like the older styled Harley sidecars.

Posted : February 3, 2021 5:31 am
(@panhead_kicker)

Quote from mike m on February 3, 2021, 10:31 am

Does anyone know anything about L & W sidecars? I think they may be out of business.There is a for sale ad on Craigslist for one. The seller's description is 1989 TLE , but I can see that it is not a TLE. The chassis has leaf springs like a Harley sidecar but the body is styled like the older styled Harley sidecars.

Yes they are now out gone. L&W Body in PA. Merle Wolfe was the proprietor. R.I.P.  He was supposed to have re-produced early metal HD sidecars (pre-1968) and associated parts, and metal (pre-fiberglass) Servi-car body parts. My understanding was that his parts were almost indistinguishable from OEM, so he and his product had a very good reputation in the antique Harley community. 1989 must have been the year he produced the sidecar, not to be confused with an H-D 1989 sidecar, which would have been the round fiberglass tub.

Posted : February 3, 2021 10:22 am
(@mikem)
Topic starter

Thank you for the information panhead_kicker.

Posted : February 3, 2021 3:26 pm
(@mike-schieber)

I recently purchased a JD style "L&W Body" sidecar replica kit of a Harley LT sidecar, un-assembled.  The kit looks complete with boat, windshield, seats, hardware etc.  Looks like they made it in the 1990's?  Does anyone have good instructions for assembling this thing?  Or perhaps photos of a L&W LT sidecar in that JD style?  I also found an original 1929 frame in great shape to put it on.  Gonna look great on my 1929 JD.  Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Posted : June 26, 2023 4:46 am