Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Just picked up an 89 HD sidecar, couple questions

Hi everyone I just picked up an HD sidecar that was on a 1989 police bike. I was curious what problems I may run into trying to mate it to my 2003 Electra Glide. I have most all of the mounting hardware that came with the sidecar from the original bike. ( My buddys brother died and he ended up with his bike but didnt want the sidecar, so I ended up with it fairly cheap $800). I just wanted to see what issues I may run into as there aren't a lot of guys around here that know anything about sidecars. I figured I would have to take it somewhere to be set up and thought I could get it close first.

Thanks,

Paul 

I am one of the first to admit, while I know sidecars, Harley sidecars are not my strong suit. I am answering as no one else has so far. Up until 2002 Harley had what looked like an over sized nut welded to the sidecar frame for the rear mount to attach the sidecar to. Your 2003 more then likely does not have this. You MIGHT be able to find the right hardware to work with this sidecar to your bike, chances are it will be used. I have never tried to buy mounting hardware from Harley (why would I, I own a sidecar factory 😉 ) however I have been told over and over again that Harley is of little help. What I would be incline to do if it were me, take a look at the bike it came off of. Measure the "nut" that your frame does not have, have one made and then welded to your bike. Some one who knows proper welding should have no issue doing this. In the long run this more then likely will be less of a headache then trying to find the needed hardware. The other two mounting points "should" work fine.

If we were doing this here we would make some changes to the way Harley did the wiring, and the brake. We would make a new brake hose allowing for a quick disconnect coupler so you can take the sidecar off for service with out bleeding the brakes every time and I would use a wiring harness for hooking up a trailer hitch. This will allow you to disconnect the sidecar a lot easier then how Harley did their wiring.

With some luck, some one who knows more about Harley sidecars then I do will have some better answers for you. Of course if you had a more modern sidecar (one with suspension and a 4 point mount) I would have no problem telling you exactly what you need in the way of hardware. Or of course if you can get the bike and the sidecar to us we could do all of this for you.

Once you get the sidecar on the bike if you need help with alignment or other advise I would be happy to help.

Good luck.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD

Buckley WA

Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I have an 04 that's gets service here that I can check out for you if you have any questions. and you can also pick up a Harley sidecar manual either at a dealer on on line. Mounting parts or petty available. The is a guy down by that probably has any parts you might need.     

Thanks a lot for your input. My buddy is a union welder and I already talked to him about welding the nut to the bike (I would trust him to weld anything). I was also thinking of putting on a quick disconnect for the brake like you had talked about. I have a trailer for the bike also so I had planned on rewiring the whole sidecar and hooking it up through my trailer light harness which plugs into my harness under the seat.

Again thanks again for your input, and any other input from anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

I would not weld anything to the frame only in the last resort, the later ones have a bracket to bolt to the frame and you won't have to weld anything to the frame. As far as the wheel goes depends on the year and if the side car has drum or disk brake it could be made to work.

I will have to look for a bolt on bracket somewhere. As far as the wheel goes, the sidecar is a 1989 and it had a drum brake. I am guessing it is a 3/4 axle (I haven't pulled the wheel off yet to make sure). I didn't know if the hub is shaved down on the brake side to make room for the drum brake, or if it is just a standard motorcycle wheel. (front or rear?) 

The bracket that should bolt up is part # 87126-07 , and as far as the wheel goes you probably  have to have a new axle made and I would do it to fit the 07 and later wheel with the 25 mm wheel bearing. The wheel also would have to get machine to except the drum. It can be done but it's going to take work. 

If I were you, I'd get the '03 harley FLT parts manual and determine what factory parts (by part number) that were required to mount the sidecar to your Glide, then start your hunt from there. Remember that Harley part numbers typically end with the first year they were produced, so you can determine if the parts will work for your sidecar and bike together. There may have been some  frame differences between 89 and 03.  Exhaust factory parts options before making any modifications that can't be easily undone. On my 69, its a three point connection, and its pretty much bolt on/off as required with little re-adjustment if any.

In the last ten or so years you can't go by the end of the part numbers for the year. Now when Harley updates there part numbers they sometimes chance the whole part number, just like they did on the rear mount. I would have to check but I think the old number ended in a-87 -89. This is nothing new for Harley to do. It just makes it harder to keep up with the changers. Just have to keep up with the times.

I recently purchased a 2006 FLHTI with a HD dealer mounted sidecar on it. It came with the customers receipt for the S/C and installation. $10,000 in July 2010 at Seminole HD in Sanford Fla. !  There is no parts list/numbers on doc. however.

If it will help I will take pics of mounts and e-mail or message to you . 

Dave Norris

Gastonia NC

All you have to do is go the the dealer or on line and buy the parts book and service manual it will list the parts numbers that you need and show you how to set it up. It's that easy. Besides him changing wheel ever thing is a bolt on. 

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I may have part number list already, I will have to check. As far as the wheel goes I might just keep original as I am going to have a ton of time into painting to match my bike. I do custom painting on the side and I have over 800 hours into the bike paintjob (check it out) so I sort of know how much time it will be to paint the sidecar. I will take a few pics of all the hardware I have and we will see from there if I actually need anything. Again thanks for all the input.

Paul

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
1bmwmc has reacted to this post.
1bmwmc