Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Just got the sidecar

So, the crate was delivered on Monday. We uncrated it and everything looks fine. The weather has turned crappy, so probably won't be doing anything until the weekend.

I have all sorts of things I need to do and goodies I got need to be mounted, but I was wondering about removing the sidestand. When you attach a car, do you leave it there or remove it? The same question for the center stand. I don't see me removing the car once it's on, so they are both basically useless.

Oh yeah, the bike is a 99 R1100RT.

Woohoo!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Linda congrats on your new car
I can only speak for myself but i didn't see the side or center stand to be in the way so I left them in place. besides you never know when that center stand might come in handy as a makeshift jack to keep the rear tire off the ground

USCA # 8913

Keeping or removing the side and center stands may be dictated by your mounting system. Many of the best subframes connect where the center stand "used to be". If they aren't the the way, it's entirely up to you. It's a little extra weight but just a little. Sadly the extra weight isn't in the best place but it isn't a big deal.

In addition to what Ace said, as well as a jack either the center or side stand would still be handy should you or a shop need to remove the sidecar to work on the bike. I've run into this a few times. Sidecar off, bike no longer will stand by itself. But if either is in the way of the mount, they'd be gone without a second thought.

In the case of our mounts for the RT, the center stand must come off. We usually leave the side stand on as it is nice should you take the sidecar off to service the bike. The manufacture of your sidecar should have clear instruction on this.

Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Hi Jay,

I read through your instructions. I guess I missed that. Oops

thanks