Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

just curious...

Page 1 of 2Next

Show of hands on how many of you out there in hackerland have actually
taken a course on driving a sidecar rig...? Inquiring minds need to know...=)

Not me. I'd like to but they are all pretty far away for me. I'll just take it easy till I get the hang of it.

Wes

Same here, just too far away or during times that I could not take off.

I would if I could.

I missed getting the one locally, but did watch some of the exercises they did. Rig is apart now so will miss one on the wet side of WA State also. Hopefully in the Fall. I did take advantage of the 6 month grandfather option when WA State went to a separate or additional endorsement for sidecars years ago, must have been providence as I really wasn't thinking car at that time. Wife was content not to ride with me on the bagger and until she did the sidecar bit using Bruce and Judy Morley's she didn't have much interest in that. Now I get bugged when the rig is not operational. Still thinking abut what to put the Velorex 700 on. Max

My daughter and I signed up about 5 years ago, for one in Minnesota that was canceled. The next closest one is 300 miles away and would have cost upwards of $1000 by the time we added in lodging and such.

Both my bride and I took a sidecar safety course here in Illinois about twelve or thirteen years ago.

I took the sidecar class in the Seattle area in August of 06 , before I bought my rig. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive one way and two nights in a hotel .I am glad I took the class. It was worth every penny spent.
Buck

I took one about 5 yrs ago in Norfolk, Va. It was the closest one to NJ that supplied the rig. They used Honda 250's with Velorex sidecars. It was a 3 day course, Fri nite, all day Saturday and Sunday. I think it was worth it. I've also taken a few MSF courses, learned something new in everyone. Just different instructors mention different things, or pointers, I feel all of these make me a better driver and rider.

I haven't because I don't want to brake the stupid law that I could get a ticket for driving my rig to take a class to get a license that I don't have.

I have not taken a sidecar course to this point. Did take the basic MSF course for 2 wheelers and learned a lot. Being in the middle of nowhere it was a two hour drive each way with overnight accommodations above the cost of the basic class. If there was a sidecar course within a couple of hours to my home I would definitely take it because I believe the skills and knowledge gained would be worth it. Maybe a better question would be how do we get more people qualified as instructors so the courses could be offered locally and more often?

not much going on in the UK in terms of training you can get instructions from dealers of rigs like Ural & Royal Enfield, but by & large your on your own, me i'm lucky i started over 40 years ago when there were more rigs about & always some old sage to advise you, & less trafic on the roads ( sopose i'm the old sage now } all us young lads used to buy bsa M20's after the AA had finished with them rip of the box lid & put a seat in it, it must be very hard for a novice to get a start now. AH Nostalgia wonderfull stuff seems like yesterday. Hank

No training courses that I am aware of in Canada. I learned the hard way!!!

I to learned the hard way. I down loaded Hal’s books from here and when round and around in a parking lot on a Sundays. I just got back from a Rally in GA and am looking for a school. We now have them in Fla and I am not good in the twisties. Oh I was back in the parking lot yesterday. Lol.

I took Vernon (Red Menace)'s class in Oregon a few years ago.
It was a long drive from sothern California but I had a fun flying the chair.

I now drive (ride) a leaner rig so the experience is not put to use.
Sometimes I miss regular (rigid) rigs. Ural or CJ would be nice. I wish I had money and garage space.

I taught myself on a motorcycle ( yamaha yz 80 ) at the age of 8
and on my sidecar at the age of 42

i grew up on motorcycles, and never took any kind of class
i've never been in an accident, never laid the bike down, never had a ticket, and now im teaching my girlfriend to ride the bike with sidecar

RIDE SAFE !!

Originally written by RichardMc4 on 6/22/2009 7:49 AM

I to learned the hard way. I down loaded Hal’s books from here and when round and around in a parking lot on a Sundays. I just got back from a Rally in GA and am looking for a school. We now have them in Fla and I am not good in the twisties. Oh I was back in the parking lot yesterday. Lol.

Richard,
I am definitely interested in one in Florida, can you please message me on dates, locations and cost?
Thanks so much, I'm in St Augustine and running an 07 Triumph Bonneville with an American Spirit sidecar outfit. I'm doing much the same thing as you are but use an old defunct development with lots of cul de sacs for spinnning circles. Carry about 125# of ballast in the car to start with. Getting a steering damper soon, no headshake but a quite loose front end.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thank you
bill

The damper is to eliminate headshake. As a secondary feature (problem) they also slow down the steering and require extra effort for low speed turning. I can't see why anyone would actually desire this.

Lonnie

Since you are not far from Tahoe, are you planning to attend the National Sidecar Rally being held June 25 thru 28 at Camp Richardson?
Hope to see you there.
gp

I'll be there on Saturday to drop off some prizes but will be heading for the Southeast Desert soon after.
Look for the same rig as in my avatar. I'll show up with my Canuck riding Bud.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Jena & I have both participated in a S/TEP course, I after about 6 months of riding, and Jena after about 6 weeks of experience. Had to travel 2+ hours to Lufkin, Texas with expense of an over-night stay. The class was really good for both of us, me for technique in turns and flying/bringing down the chair, and Jena for confidence to venture beyond the neighborhood as well as hard braking. Also, the wife/GF/SO/ more readily accepts constructive criticism & re-do's from the instructor. I recommend it to all who have an opportunity.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300
Page 1 of 2Next