Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Issues re this forum

Page 1 of 2Next

I'm posting this here because I suspect that's the best way to get some reactions. If I'm out of line, please let me know, and/or mods please correct.

OK, so this forum should be one of the places I most want to visit in my daily internet roundup. I spend a fair amount of time on the computer, at work and at home, and participate in a couple of other boards. I love sidecars, and recently put one on my Harley FXDI. Having a blast with it. I enjoy internet forums and usually get a lot from them (and try to contribute back). But I found that I just wasn't bothering to come here...mostly.

So I was sort of pondering that, and then looking at this site, I think I realized why. It's the format of the board. It's just very unappealing, hard to read, and not that user-friendly. There aren't that many users. And while this corner of the motorcycle world may be small, there still should be a lot more interest that the participation here would indicate (just look at the participation on the advrider board). So I thought I would toss out a few suggestions, and see if anyone has any thoughts or reactions.

1. The font is way too small. It's a strain to read it, and with longer posts, almost impossible for my aging but serviceable eyes. The buttons are also too small.

2. The color schemes are boring. Blue and white. White and blue. Not much graphics. Not much to look at or catch the eye.

3. Using and posting pics seems to be a bit difficult, never mind using or posting sig pics, avatars, etc. I know, I know, read the directions etc. But it really is a pain compared to other boards. If there was some kind of easy process, and some encouragement to post pics, they could be used to help issue 2 above, as well as making the whole experience more fun. Look at what the hdforum has done, with a daily parade of newly posted pics scrolling across the top of the screen....

Those are just a couple of ideas. I'm sure someone with web design experience could tell you much more. I believe most of these boards are hosted by a handful of companies that provide the basic platform. Maybe this board should be moved to a different host service?

OK, that's my comment. YMMV and all that... 🙂

Mark

Mark, you comments aren't out of line. I just wish we could do all of these things but you have a Board of Directors who depends on volunteers, remember we are a non-profit and membership dues of $25.00 a year and 6 magazines a year can only be stretched so far. If you have the expertise to make something happen, email me.

Personally, I find this "one" much easier to use than the previous way of doing things. If the print's too small all I have to do is go to my menu bar and click "view", then click "zoom". I can read the font just fine with my 65 year old eyes and my tri-focals. If I'm having difficulty reading I just go to "zoom" and "ride" on.

I check the site every day but don't often post. Can't help but wonder how many others are doing the same thing. Perhaps that's why it seems there's so few members present.

This is without a doubt my favorite site. To those in charge, I say, "Keep it up!". You're appreciated -- at least by me.

Karl 🙂

I realize now that my post may be misinterpreted. I do very much understand the financial issues, the time constraints and the other factors. I also very much appreciate the hard work of the members and leadership of the USCA. My post was in no way intended to criticize. I was sincerely raising issues that I think do effect the way this site is viewed.

I have no doubt that there are people who see no reason for change. To those who regularly participate here and find it fine the way it is, thank you, you are the ones who make it good by your participation. But I do know a little bit about internet traffic and web design (not from a technical standpoint, but from various other professional perspectives). And I stand by my suggestion that the low traffic here is probably due in part to the design of the site.

If you were gathering people together to talk or have a good time, and your gathering would be enhanced by having more people -- including more people who are knowledgeable and experienced, as well as more people who are anxious to learn -- and someone said, "Hey, I have experience in this, and you would get more people if you did [x]." Would you brush them off and say "nah, we like it the way it is"? Well...maybe. Who knows. Anyway, I will continue to visit and contribute when I can. I'm just saying, the format makes it somewhat difficult to have much involvement, especially given time constraints that most people face.

Thanks again,

Mark

P.S. Looking forward to meeting some of you in Vermont come July.

Maybe it's just me but I check this site a couple times a day normally. And the new one is sure working better than the old one. There are a couple others that I used to check very regularly and will probably once again when the riding season starts again. Who knows. At any rate, as a USCA member, it seems like this is the "club house." Font too small? Ctrl key plus the scroll wheel on the mouse. Instant zoom.

Just-a-Guy - 1/28/2010 6:53 PM Thanks again, Mark P.S. Looking forward to meeting some of you in Vermont come July. [/QUOTE

Looking forward to meeting you to Mark see you in Vermont! 🙂

Reardan Tom - 1/28/2010 7:46 PM Maybe it's just me but I check this site a couple times a day normally. And the new one is sure working better than the old one. There are a couple others that I used to check very regularly and will probably once again when the riding season starts again. Who knows. At any rate, as a USCA member, it seems like this is the "club house." Font too small? Ctrl key plus the scroll wheel on the mouse. Instant zoom.

Hey Tom, I tried the CTRL and scroll it don't work on mine ,tried banging the mouse on the table to no go on the Dell..........:(

Understand the comment, and the replies, e.g., costs, etc.

Not sure who runs Advrider, who's "Hack" section is excellent, but the differences are remarkable. There are lots of pictures, and clearly more robust participation, etc.

Nonetheless, I come here daily, see what's up, and either post or reply when it seems appropriate and/or worthwhile.

I am a member and I do understand that dues, etc., only go so far.

I guess I'm just surprised that the sidecar community has not embraced this particular site as much as the "Hack" section of Advrider.

For those pulling this site together, believe me, your efforts are appreciated.

ride on

rick

Hey Rick,

Where is this advrider? I would like to check it out

advrider.com; once entered, scroll down to "hacks"

Here's a link:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Just-a-Guy - 1/27/2010 8:13 PM

I'm posting this here because I suspect that's the best way to get some reactions. If I'm out of line, please let me know, and/or mods please correct.

OK, so this forum should be one of the places I most want to visit in my daily internet roundup. I spend a fair amount of time on the computer, at work and at home, and participate in a couple of other boards. I love sidecars, and recently put one on my Harley FXDI. Having a blast with it. I enjoy internet forums and usually get a lot from them (and try to contribute back). But I found that I just wasn't bothering to come here...mostly.

So I was sort of pondering that, and then looking at this site, I think I realized why. It's the format of the board. It's just very unappealing, hard to read, and not that user-friendly. There aren't that many users. And while this corner of the motorcycle world may be small, there still should be a lot more interest that the participation here would indicate (just look at the participation on the advrider board). So I thought I would toss out a few suggestions, and see if anyone has any thoughts or reactions.

1. The font is way too small. It's a strain to read it, and with longer posts, almost impossible for my aging but serviceable eyes. The buttons are also too small.

2. The color schemes are boring. Blue and white. White and blue. Not much graphics. Not much to look at or catch the eye.

3. Using and posting pics seems to be a bit difficult, never mind using or posting sig pics, avatars, etc. I know, I know, read the directions etc. But it really is a pain compared to other boards. If there was some kind of easy process, and some encouragement to post pics, they could be used to help issue 2 above, as well as making the whole experience more fun. Look at what the hdforum has done, with a daily parade of newly posted pics scrolling across the top of the screen....

Those are just a couple of ideas. I'm sure someone with web design experience could tell you much more. I believe most of these boards are hosted by a handful of companies that provide the basic platform. Maybe this board should be moved to a different host service?

OK, that's my comment. YMMV and all that... 🙂

Mark

I thought I had posted something on this thread before but I guess it got lost. LOL. Nonetheless, I think someone else mentoined that you can control the size of the font. I won't bother mentioning how since I'm sure everyone knows how.

As for photographs, I use Photobucket for everything now. For the basic setup, it's free and they give you an astonishing amount of room for your photos. That way I can use the same method for each website where I want to post a photo. That's a good thing since most of them vary quite a bit.

Graphics are nice but they are also a memory hog both at the server and at the user level. They also take longer to load. I'm on several machinery sites and in the past few years they have all gone to lots and lots of graphics-loaded ads. It's nice for their site funding so I don't complain yet it doubles or triples the time it takes to load a page.

I got on Advrider once and registered but I didn't feel like it was all that meaningful. It was only one section of the site anyway. I prefer this site. If they ever update any further that will be fine, too.

I think all and all this is a great site.I have only been on it a couple years but like it.Just for my two cents.

Thanks for all the responses. I suppose it is understandable that most of the people responding don't see a need for any change. If you are responding, you probably already visit this site regularly. The people for whom my comments are most relevant are the people who do not come here, or rarely do.

FWIW, my comment about font size was really just one minor issue. There are many aspects of the way this board functions that are archaic and unappealing, and people who regularly use more "modernized" discussion boards will instantly see them. For example, even now, I selected "Reply" to a specific post, but as I type, you cannot see the html of that content within my post. It is displayed below in standard format, and it is not obvious that it will appear within my reply post, and it is not apparent whether you can edit out parts of the post you are replying to in order to make clear that you are reacting to the remaining text. Just one more issue. Another -- I tried to put a sig pic in and couldn't do it, tried to put a custom avatar in, etc.

Yeah, I use Photobucket, too. And Shutterfly, and Kodak Gallery...and youtube...and myspace and facebook and just about every other major content host. It's not that I don't know how to use those things. It's that this board is set up on an older format that does not make using anything very easy, and apparently does not allow many commonly used features at all.

If you get it, you get. If you don't, you won't. If this is what you're used to, then you are likely to be "happy" with it. Hell, I remember when the internet didn't have color at all, images were not used, and communications were via "electronic bulletin boards". Straight black and white (or green) text, nothing more... at 12 bauds. And I loved it. Because it was all I knew. It was all that existed. That's why I suggested spending some time on advrider. The fact that there is so much more participation in that site's sidecar section is precisely my point. If this organization would move it's discussion group to a format like that, I believe it would get much more readership. And that would likely lead to more members. More money. Etc.

I know it is rude to walk into a party and immediately start talking about how the other party you were at was better. I don't mean to do that. I'm trying to make suggestions, as politely as I can, that I think would be good for the USCA. And for all of us, who like to participate in these discussions. That's all.

OK, 'nuff said.

Mark

As mentioned above, if more graphics and features are added, the cost will be greater to the hosts and the website will probably be slower to load for any given line speed.

I don't disagree with the need to upgrade at some point. In fact the site was upgraded recently to good advantage. Since you came on board just recently, you didn't see the ealrlier version. That change was made last year.

This is the second or third time you have mentioned the sidecar section of Advrider. Why not give them a try?

But I mean that in a nice way....... 🙂

When we did the upgrade, I did a lot of thinking about changing forum software. What I felt was we needed to keep our current information and members (history). Switching software meant scrapping everything and starting over. Oh and also losing our photo history. We are running the latest version of the MegaBBS software and (knock wood) no crashes since it was put in place. Click the MegaBBS ASP Forum Software link at the bottom of the page. They are working on upgrades all the time. Tell them what you would like to see and we might get it here too.

It's workinig fine over this way. No complaints.

Regards

Just-a-Guy - 1/30/2010 9:38 AM
If you are responding, you probably already visit this site regularly. The people for whom my comments are most relevant are the people who do not come here, or rarely do. "

I am a moderator on an online forum, new to this site, & have had experience creating web sites. I don't see a problem. Some use more graphics, but there's a lot to be said for this approach. I used to believe in razzle-dazzle, but have come to realize that not everybody is on a high-speed account. Just my 2-cents...

Just-a-Guy - 1/30/2010 9:38 AM
If you are responding, you probably already visit this site regularly. The people for whom my comments are most relevant are the people who do not come here, or rarely do. "

Drifter - 1/31/2010 4:54 AM
I am a moderator on an online forum, new to this site, & have had experience creating web sites. I don't see a problem. Some use more graphics, but there's a lot to be said for this approach. I used to believe in razzle-dazzle, but have come to realize that not everybody is on a high-speed account. Just my 2-cents...

That's another reason why a site works better for most if there are fewer graphics. There are a number of sites that I visit on other topics that are very slow to load even with a fast DSL line.

hdrghack - 1/28/2010 5:20 PM

"1">Hey Tom, I tried the CTRL and scroll it don't work on mine ,tried banging the mouse on the table to no go on the Dell..........:(

Maybe it's a Vista thing. I just rechecked and it worked good on mine. I'm looking at it 'super sized' right now. I dunno.... maybe get a bigger hammer?

Page 1 of 2Next