Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Is reverse a must?

PreviousPage 2 of 2

I've got a Motorvation Engineering Hack with 3000 miles under it's belt and I agree that you don't need a reverse gear with proper planning. I haven't needed one because I think about where I'm parking or going prior to executing. I also think it's easier pushing a rig backawards than it is pushing a two wheel vehicle.

MY 2 CENTS:
Hacks, 40+ years, on & off[off meaning NO riding]. Had 4 rigs. Have GL1500SE rig and would NEVER go back to a tug without reverse gear. To each his own. TTFN......Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH

Another 2 cent. I live in very steep hills. and can handle things without reverse because my rig is a light weight 350 Jawa-Velorex toy. A reverse gear is only usefull when you can grab ground. On a steep hill or in deep mud it will just spin anyway.
Then the only real saviour are a tecling or much better a pair of oxes. As heavier the rig is, as more handy will be a reverse in standard situations, but for sure it will get easier to its limit too because of weight, specially the electric toys.
Sven

The transmission geared reverse systems aren't limited powerwise as the electrics are. The throttle can be used as necessary.
If there is traction they will go backwards.

Lonnie

Hack'n - 5/19/2010 10:40 PM

The transmission geared reverse systems aren't limited powerwise as the electrics are. The throttle can be used as necessary.
If there is traction they will go backwards.

Lonnie

That's all true. If I had my druthers, I'd probably like to have a geared reverse. Honestly, though, I've looked at the installation instructions on both of the mechanical systems avaiable for HD's and I don't like the operations they show. I guess they work but I don't like cutting, grinding and, especially, Loctite to hold things together. One of them shows the installer drilling into a hardened gear with a hand drill and a cutter. That's not something that I'd care to do. I could do it on my milling machine but I wouldn't do anything with a hand drill.

Furthermore, the prices they get for essentially nothing more than three gears and an instruction sheet are outrageous. I'm aware that they are selling a functional utility, but I'll just keep my $1,500 and be more careful in parking.

Many of our clients have varying physical shortcomings and don't have the option of pushing out of a tight spot. For them the reverse gear is a valuable addition if riding alone.
The sidecar rig gives them wings, a reverse gives them independence. For some that combination is Priceless!

Lonnie

I have a Ural Retro with reverse and, frankly, I would never be able to get it out of the garage and headed down my gravel driveway if I didn't have reverse. Period. Absolute lifesaver. When I had Claude Stanley build my K100 rig, one of the requirements was an electric reverse. As it weighs about 300 pounds more than the Ural, reverse was even more vital. Sure, once I am out on the road I can plan where I park but at home I have no one to help and I have two choices: back it in the garage and pull out or pull it in the garage and back out. Viva la Backwards Booster!!

Sarge

Sarge, I like your choice of Moto Guzzi. I had a Silver 2000 Jackal myself. Sold it recently. Great bike!

Attached files

I love my reverse! Could I get by without it? Probably, but it's really really nice!!

Dave

nyarltep - 5/21/2010 9:23 PM
Sarge, I like your choice of Moto Guzzi. I had a Silver 2000 Jackal myself. Sold it recently. Great bike!

Regretfully, the Jackal is gone without me ever riding it. Why? I was going to hack it but, as it turned out, THE REVERSE I ABSOLUTELY NEEDED was going to cost me too much to have custom-built. Fact of life - with my physical condition these days I am limited to three wheels and must have reverse to operate at all.

Ah well...

Sarge

Sarge - 5/22/2010 5:05 AM

nyarltep - 5/21/2010 9:23 PM

Regretfully, the Jackal is gone without me ever riding it. Why? I was going to hack it but, as it turned out, THE REVERSE I ABSOLUTELY NEEDED was going to cost me too much to have custom-built. Fact of life - with my physical condition these days I am limited to three wheels and must have reverse to operate at all.

Ah well...

Sarge

There are some good choices for you then: Sidecars on Honda Gold Wing, BMW, or Harley with accessory mechanical reverse or even a Harley Trike. All of them work very well.

Is any one running the Baker reverse or know any one that is? They make two different models. One for the late stock 6 speed and one for the older 5 speed that will all so fit the Baker DD6 that I am installing on mine. They are not cheap but as I get older and when I put my TLE on would give me a piece of mind.
http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/reverse/index.htm

gnm109 - 5/22/2010 10:46 AM
There are some good choices for you then: Sidecars on Honda Gold Wing, BMW, or Harley with accessory mechanical reverse or even a Harley Trike. All of them work very well.

Great thought but, regretfully, for various reasons none of those would work for me. Additionally, aftermarket mechanical reverse units are WAY out of my price range.

Sarge

I am mainly trying to find out if any one has or knows of any one that has one. I was wondering about the stock exhaust fitting.

PreviousPage 2 of 2