Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Is reverse a must?

Page 1 of 2Next

40 years on bikes, 0 on hacks. But on long trips I REALLY miss my dogs! Being able to take just one of them would make life on the road ever so much nicer!

I live in Vermont, and most of my weekend camping trips with Tadcaster (my gun dog) would be in this area. It's hilly, and full of tourists who do stupid things that might require me to back up now and then. Pushing a hack up a grade doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

So is a reverse gear a must? If not, how do you get out of sticky situations like when somebody parks right in front of you?

Pete

Well being from Fla I don’t have a lot of hills but I have got to the point that I try to always park pointing up hill. Are you going to make the Nat Rally?

I hope to catch the first day of the National Rally on my way out to Colorado. The timing sucks; with the rally 40 miles away from me it would have been very cool to stay for the entire event and pick your brains!

See you there.

Pete

As long as you push back with one foot, get off and push or have a passenger to help it's not much of a problem. Much easier than backing a large solo bike that must also be balanced at the same time. Like with a solo bike I try to park in a position to be able to drive out. The few times I've been trapped as you describe I've had volunteers help.
I've had the Champion reverse unit on one bike that I only used twice since it was somewhat of a hassle getting everything right so it would work, Plus the fact that when I used it I got severe burns on my hand since it was very close to the exhaust pipe.
My last two bikes have the AIM MAMBA reverse which I think is a much better setup as it doesn't burn me , is easier to manage and the gear set is threaded and bolted instead of being glued on with LockTite. I like them so well I signed on as a dealer.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Attached files

I had a Ural with reverse but my Harley does not. I have not really missed it much, but it does require that you think ahead and avoid situations that will require you to push it backwards. Like Hack'n said, in the worse case, someone will probably give you a hand pushing.

Now, getting a large boat floating that is stranded when the tide goes out is another story, but that should not be a problem in VT like it is in ME.

Gravity is my reverse. Plan a head and park so you are headed out. If I can't move it with one foot I don't park there.

Okay, so it sounds like a bit of planning ahead is required. But I live in a very rural state and one of the things I really enjoy is exploring backroads that sometimes dead end facing downhill with no wide place to turn around. With the GS I can goose it and spin 180 degrees. It sounds like a hack might change my style of riding in more ways than I anticipated.

I can spin my Dnepr around on gravel, it just take a little practice.

Dave

Ok............ very simple. If you don't think you can get along without reverse, by all means buy one. However, many on us have gotten along for years without reverse.

sebjones - 5/8/2010 5:25 PM

Ok............ very simple. If you don't think you can get along without reverse, by all means buy one. However, many on us have gotten along for years without reverse.

Hey, I'm not trying to be argumentative. It's just I have zero experience on three wheels and am asking for honest opinions. I don't have the benefit of being surrounded by humanity -- I might see three cars a week go past my home -- and am trying to tap the expertise of this forum so I don't end up making a mistake. I didn't realize they could be spun. And I didn't consider that it might be easier pushing a stable hack than a two wheeler that you have to balance while pushing.

Any other tricks, pointers to share?

Thanks for the information. I will check that AIM MAMBA reverse out. I know I will need a reverse soon. Hah, turns out I have seen that reverse. It seemed to be very similar to the champion, but I am not a mechanic. You say it is superior?
Video from a camera in my sidecar cabin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oLGgn_mLpU

I have not played in the dirt on three wheels but many have so it can be done.

Or you can get a Goldwing and it comes with reverse.........Seriously though, with a little planning it should be a rare time you can not get out. When you can't, just ask for help. Seems people are more willing to help when it is a sidecar rig.

Hey Lonnie your 2 pics. show reverse gear with 6 speed tranny is this a preference or
are these suggestive pics. lol , as I've wondered about the 2 together ? But for right now
I have LFR (left foot reverse) or grab on to the wifes left god d--- it handle and handle bars
and back'er up....beep,beep,beep...lol. Also learning just like parellel parking you may have
to drive around the block a couple a times for the right spot...lol
Just a question and my 2 cents I'm done...later.

These are two different styles of the Mamba reverse.

One is for the '87-'06 Big twin and '07-'10 Dyna & Softail and the other is for the '07-'10 Glides.

Lonnie

Glenfiddich - 5/8/2010 6:55 AM

40 years on bikes, 0 on hacks. But on long trips I REALLY miss my dogs! Being able to take just one of them would make life on the road ever so much nicer!

I live in Vermont, and most of my weekend camping trips with Tadcaster (my gun dog) would be in this area. It's hilly, and full of tourists who do stupid things that might require me to back up now and then. Pushing a hack up a grade doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

So is a reverse gear a must? If not, how do you get out of sticky situations like when somebody parks right in front of you?

Pete

I just recently had a Hannigan Astro GT sidecar mounted to my Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700. The bike alone is about 840 lbs. and it was a load to push back out of a parking spot that was at all downhill. The sidecar rig is MUCH easier to push out of a parking spot than I imagined it would be, even with a total weight of around 1100 lbs. I agree with the comment that it is typically easier to back up the rig than it was to back up the bike alone. Our driveway has a very slight downslope. I sit on the rig, push with my left foot and it just rolls down the driveway and out into the street. It is also much like driving a vehicle with a trailer - you just think ahead a bit more about where you want to park so you can get out easily.

wingit11 - 5/8/2010 5:34 PM

Or you can get a Goldwing and it comes with reverse.........

I've got a Gold Wing (with a Hannigan) and I never use the reverse.

Good singlemalt. I have a Harley FLH with a Liberty car. My rig has a reverse. I use it very seldom, BUT when I need it I love it. I always check out where I park and do so I can drive off forward if possible. Sometimes there is no one else to help push the rig backwards, flat ground (asphalt/concrete) is fine but soft ground or uphill is difficult for one person. If you never need to park where a reverse is necessary don't get one. Otherwise it could come in very important. On a purely egocentric slant it is a great attention getter, especially backing into a small space surrounded by other bikes and rigs. Be careful if you do get one, flying the car in reverse is interesting, I know. Miket

My hack is a K1200LT with a KLT Hannigan sidecar. The "reverse" on the Beemer is "the other end of the electric starter motor". It is designed to start the 1200 cc bike engine................. and via the start button/ computer controlled speed will get you, the bike, and whatever load, back out of nearly anywhere reasonable. I don't believe it was intended for also moving a "300 lb. side car/subframe" in addition to the above! Will it do it? Yes, it will, but!

On +2% lateral grade on asphalt/concrete/ curb and gutter roads it doesn't know the "uphill" is there because the computer simply adds rpm for more amperage. You get to a 4/5% grade and it will growl abit but still do the job. On hard surface or compacted chipped limestone it is really easy to move my 1200 lb. hack forwards/turns/rearward by solo hand pushing. "Sand" that wheel prints, maybe 1-2" and solo you will really grunt to move my hack by hand.

I have never been in a situation that would "require" the power reverse. It is of course very impressive in front of "Starbucks". It never fails to draw a crowd....... Every time you use it though,consider how much time and effort it takes to replace your "starter motor" on your m/c? On the K1200LT it is a lot of work (lots).

HTH

Being I drive a big Harley Ultra even with out a sidecar I have to be careful how and where I park. There has been several times even as a solo I had to get someone to help but only a couple of times in 80K miles.

Page 1 of 2Next