USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Is reverse a must?

40 years on bikes, 0 on hacks. But on long trips I REALLY miss my dogs! Being able to take just one of them would make life on the road ever so much nicer!

I live in Vermont, and most of my weekend camping trips with Tadcaster (my gun dog) would be in this area. It's hilly, and full of tourists who do stupid things that might require me to back up now and then. Pushing a hack up a grade doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

So is a reverse gear a must? If not, how do you get out of sticky situations like when somebody parks right in front of you?

Pete

Well being from Fla I don’t have a lot of hills but I have got to the point that I try to always park pointing up hill. Are you going to make the Nat Rally?

I hope to catch the first day of the National Rally on my way out to Colorado. The timing sucks; with the rally 40 miles away from me it would have been very cool to stay for the entire event and pick your brains!

See you there.

Pete

As long as you push back with one foot, get off and push or have a passenger to help it's not much of a problem. Much easier than backing a large solo bike that must also be balanced at the same time. Like with a solo bike I try to park in a position to be able to drive out. The few times I've been trapped as you describe I've had volunteers help.
I've had the Champion reverse unit on one bike that I only used twice since it was somewhat of a hassle getting everything right so it would work, Plus the fact that when I used it I got severe burns on my hand since it was very close to the exhaust pipe.
My last two bikes have the AIM MAMBA reverse which I think is a much better setup as it doesn't burn me , is easier to manage and the gear set is threaded and bolted instead of being glued on with LockTite. I like them so well I signed on as a dealer.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Attached files

I had a Ural with reverse but my Harley does not. I have not really missed it much, but it does require that you think ahead and avoid situations that will require you to push it backwards. Like Hack'n said, in the worse case, someone will probably give you a hand pushing.

Now, getting a large boat floating that is stranded when the tide goes out is another story, but that should not be a problem in VT like it is in ME.

Gravity is my reverse. Plan a head and park so you are headed out. If I can't move it with one foot I don't park there.

Okay, so it sounds like a bit of planning ahead is required. But I live in a very rural state and one of the things I really enjoy is exploring backroads that sometimes dead end facing downhill with no wide place to turn around. With the GS I can goose it and spin 180 degrees. It sounds like a hack might change my style of riding in more ways than I anticipated.

I can spin my Dnepr around on gravel, it just take a little practice.

Dave

Ok............ very simple. If you don't think you can get along without reverse, by all means buy one. However, many on us have gotten along for years without reverse.

sebjones - 5/8/2010 5:25 PM

Ok............ very simple. If you don't think you can get along without reverse, by all means buy one. However, many on us have gotten along for years without reverse.

Hey, I'm not trying to be argumentative. It's just I have zero experience on three wheels and am asking for honest opinions. I don't have the benefit of being surrounded by humanity -- I might see three cars a week go past my home -- and am trying to tap the expertise of this forum so I don't end up making a mistake. I didn't realize they could be spun. And I didn't consider that it might be easier pushing a stable hack than a two wheeler that you have to balance while pushing.

Any other tricks, pointers to share?